• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Running back offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boy... I feel like people are copying and pasting the defense of Hank Hughes recruiting while trying to paint a positive picture for Davis. Tell me he's a good talent developer once they are here, but don't defend his recruiting ability.

I said back on NSD that I was giving Davis one more year to see what he can do. And now it appears the only real guy we are going after our HC is leading the charge. I don't trust Davis to get 2 or 3 RBs for our 2019 class. And I wonder what we would do if Bradley wouldn't have qualified. If Riley is fine with only a talent developer, i'm cool with keeping Davis. But i'm on the side of the fence that thinks we can have both so I would make a change. I'm cool either way, Riley will do what he needs to.

Moses was being looked at as a DB by our staff but we are getting much higher guys on our board. He currently only appears to have one FCS offer right now.

I wasn't suggesting that they offer him, always thought that he would be a preferred walk on. I figured if they couldn't land a high profile guy like Pledger, etc. that they would take Bryant as the class RB. Similar to Bradley last year. He's certainly a good athlete and they have plenty of time to develop him behind the current RBs. But, apparently they value his skills as a DB more than at RB. Hopefully they can still get him to walk on.

I wasn't suggesting that they offer him, always thought that he would be a preferred walk on. I figured if they couldn't land a high profile guy like Pledger, etc. that they would take Bryant as the class RB. Similar to Bradley last year. He's certainly a good athlete and they have plenty of time to develop him behind the current RBs. But, apparently they value his skills as a DB more than at RB. Hopefully they can still get him to walk on.
I knew you didn't think we should offer, was just letting you know which side we were looking at him with. What's kind of scary is while I have high hopes for Bradley, I think it would be dangerous to follow up Bradley as the class RB with Moses as the next class RB. Not to mention grades are an issue for him too.

Nebraska was completely out of the race until DW showed up (in December). Davis had all of last year. Williams could have easily grabbed three guys late last season. However, knowing his recruiting ability, was told to hold off.
You didn't get the "joke." I was implying that stewart told Williams about Blades, like Warren told Davis, thus getting the credit.

I knew you didn't think we should offer, was just letting you know which side we were looking at him with. What's kind of scary is while I have high hopes for Bradley, I think it would be dangerous to follow up Bradley as the class RB with Moses as the next class RB. Not to mention grades are an issue for him too.

In your opinion, would he do better at Safety or RB?

IMO, Bryant is a perfect guy for Davis to groom at RB. Athletic kid with the ability to run, catch, and block. Exactly what they want out of their RBs. However, I agree with you that it would be dangerous to go that route two years in a row. The move looked good last year once Bradley qualified, but, it could have easily gone the other way. They shouldn't have to rely on in-state, academic risks every year. I think Bradley and Bryant are the type of guys that should be brought in along with a stud 4 or 5 star back because they are the ones who will constantly push those kids to be better. A win-win scenario, and one that we haven't seen, yet. I'm probably going to be the last guy to admit that I was wrong about Davis, but, it appears as though that day might be getting closer and closer. Unfortunately.

This does nothing but prove what everyone has said about Ozigbo, Warren found him. If Warren doesn't find him he doesn't end up at Nebraska. Davis then went on to snatch him away from the mighty, mighty Cyclones. There was day when you scoffed at out recruiting the likes of Iowa State, now you are giving Davis credit for beating out the Cyclones for Ozigbo and SAT U for Bradley, your hypocrisy knows no bounds. To top it off you have spent plenty of time telling us how slow Ozigbo is and how desperately we needed an upgrade at the RB position, that is until you needed him to defend Davis on the recruiting trail. I've never seen someone spend so much time contradicting himself. The only falsehoods and misrepresentations in your post are your own, Ozigbo was a Warren find as people have said.

The last thing Davis needs is you coming to his defense, it didn't work out so well for Read, Hughes and Banker. How can we be expected to trust Riley with his assistants if you are telling us they become scapegoats on his watch?

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/beyond-the-bloodbath-comment.92916/page-7

"Hughes had a decent resume and with a group that wanted to play, I have no doubt he'd have been fine. He ended up a scapegoat for the gang of four traitors. Some of the recruitniks piled on too."

Parella comes in with a bunch of players from the former staff to work with, Stoltenberg, Dzuris, Freedom, Davis twins, Newell, Maurice, Natter and magically all of the alleged buy-in issues vanish. Pretty sure Kaz has cell phone numbers for all of these guys.
If you think "finding" a recruit is tough and is the actual recruitment, and doing the work of recruiting the kid away from another power5 team shouldn't get you any credit for him, then you are not worth having a conversation with. LOL

Last edited:
So your idea of a top notch assistant is one that was lucky to pull a RB recruit away from Iowa St., then got lucky that an in-state RB qualified academically and could accept his offer (edging out SD State), and then isn't the leader for a solid RB in year 3?

You also stated it's the HC's job "to ensure his assistants are topnotch... no dead weight" yet you take issue with posters who think Davis isn't cutting it and should be replaced?

And you call me silly? :Facepalm:
Lucky to be called silly.

Last edited:

Did TO have to go thru this stuff?
Probably not because recruiting was not as public as it is today. You would hear about top guys like TF and maybe in state kids like Benning. Other than that most could not name the recruits until signing day when they appeared in the Journal Star or OWH.

If you think "finding" a recruit is tough and is the actual recruitment, and doing the work of recruiting the kid away from another power5 team shouldn't get you any credit for him, then you are not worth having a conversation with. LOL

So far the only person to make that claim is you, again with your falsehoods. Maybe you can explain to us how one goes about recruiting a player one doesn't even know about? The point you aren't willing to grasp is Ozigbo wouldn't be a Husker without Warren first finding him. I see you have come full circle on ISU. No longer do we scoff and look down on them as a recruiting foe, they have magically become the all power P5 Cylcones of Iowa State. Please enlighten us of the superior skills and tactics needed to steal a player from such a mighty foe. Then maybe you can weave a fanciful tale of the superhuman recruiting genius employed to wrest Bradley away from the daunting recruitment of academic ineligibility.

So far the only person to make that claim is you, again with your falsehoods. Maybe you can explain to us how one goes about recruiting a player one doesn't even know about? The point you aren't willing to grasp is Ozigbo wouldn't be a Husker without Warren first finding him. I see you have come full circle on ISU. No longer do we scoff and look down on them as a recruiting foe, they have magically become the all power P5 Cylcones of Iowa State. Please enlighten us of the superior skills and tactics needed to steal a player from such a mighty foe. Then maybe you can weave a fanciful tale of the superhuman recruiting genius employed to wrest Bradley away from the daunting recruitment of academic ineligibility.
I've stated no falsehoods, but I have exposed the falsehood being spread by some that Reggie Davis was not recruiting Ozigbo. About the only thing that might be true in your post is that Ozigbo might not have been a Husker if Warren hadn't told Davis that he was a potential prospect. But Davis did the work recruiting him, not Warren. Someone else might not have convinced Ozigbo to flip. With regard to ISU, I'm not sure you have ANY knowledge of what I feel about ISU or ISU recruiting, so I'm not sure why you bring this up. I do know that in the distant past ISU had several good/great RB's, so it isn't unusual for them to recruit some talent. I really don't care anything about them, if we can steal a good player from them, let's do it every year.

Last edited:
I've stated no falsehoods, but I have exposed the falsehood being spread by some that Reggie Davis was not recruiting Ozigbo. About the only thing that might be true in your post is that Ozigbo might not have been a Husker if Warren hadn't told Davis that he was a potential prospect. But Davis did the work recruiting him, not Warren. Someone else might not have convinced Ozigbo to flip. With regard to ISU, I'm not sure you have ANY knowledge of what I feel about ISU or ISU recruiting, so I'm not sure why you bring this up. I do know that in the distant past ISU had several good/great RB's, so it isn't unusual for them to recruit some talent. I really don't care anything about them, if we can steal a good player from them, let's do it every year.
Here's the facts I know. Charlton Warren sent a DM to Ozigbo asking if he is or was ever interested in Nebraska. Ozigbo verbatim said "if they offer, i'm going there no matter what." So a kid has said he's going to Nebraska no matter what before Reggie Davis even got involved in the recruitment, yet Davis gets credit for a recruiting victory? Come on. That's like Hank Hughes getting praised for bringing in Ben Stille.

Last edited:

Here's the facts I know. Charlton Warren sent a DM to Ozigbo asking if he is or was ever interested in Nebraska. Ozigbo verbatim said "if they offer, i'm going there no matter what." So a kid has said he's going to Nebraska no matter what before Reggie Davis even got involved in the recruitment, yet Davis gets credit for a recruiting victory? Come on. That's like Hank Hughes getting praised for bringing in Ben Stille.

That is the type of loyalty ISU has to deal with. If it where a team I disliked I would love it. as it is, I don't care about ISU.

Let me do it this way since i'm a terrible communicator anyway... let's just give every coach credit for every player that's here in their position group so we get off the Ozigbo train for a bit. Here's the highest recruit for each position coach according to 247 composite and their best offer:

KWilliams - Lindsey .9752 - Ohio State
DWilliams - Radley-Hiles .9736 - Alabama
Cavanaugh - Raridon .9435 - Oklahoma, Stanford, Oregon
Bray - Roberts .9270 - Clemson, Oklahoma, Penn State
Langsdorf - Gebbia .9250 - Alabama
Parrella - Thomas .8766 - Michigan
Davis - Bryant .8638 - Kansas State

One of these things is not like the others. Tell me you're ok with his development of players, but don't tell me recruiting is fine at RB under his guidance.

Last edited:

Chill my friend no need to go down this road. You are better than that

My apologies to N2FL, RR and all. I appreciate your expert, insightful information. Sorry for the disrespect.

Frustrated that legitimate RB play in MR's history does not persuade talented RBs enough, yet. Frustration will have to take a back seat to patience for awhile. MR, Inc still needs to demonstrate more on TV to a dubious RB audience how the RB position plays into his desired O strategy that he is now able to start placing on the field. Hopefully what he demonstrates on the field this coming season will help in future RB recruiting efforts. Not sure if RD is the right pitch man for this, but maybe his sales job will get easier after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back