• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RPI Tracking (+23 to 46th) (Updated after road series win against top25 Sparty)

Saw Dan Hoppen's tweet this morning with our current RPI at 37... Thought it would be interesting to see how that does every Monday morning. As we all know, we struggled early and i'm sure that we were extremely low in this ranking after starting off 3-6. After winning six straight we are at 37 currently. I will also chart who is ahead of us and still on the schedule:

B1G Standings (1-100)
7. Michigan State
37. Nebraska
56. Rutgers
63. Minnesota
75. Michigan
81. Illinois
90. Maryland

Notables
1. College of Charleston
11. Arizona

24. Creighton
41. Tulane
55. San Diego
70. Long Beach State

102. Indiana State
108. Loyola Marymount
119. Nebraska-Omaha
181. Kansas State
198. Iowa
199. Kansas

279. Northern Colorado

*already played
*upcoming

Last edited:

Few thoughts:

1. As we all know, rankings this early don't matter at all
2. Not a ton of opportunity to raise RPI in B1G play, but hopefully teams we have played continue to do well along with teams ahead on the schedule
3. Hoping that the tougher early schedule helps us, as opposed to what a Michigan State is doing and scheduling easy wins

Nebraska:
3-6 against teams with an RPI better than 100.
6-0 versus teams with an RPI worse than or equal to 100.

Michigan State:
4-1 against teams with an RPI better than 100.
9-0 against teams with an RPI worse than or equal to 100.

Michigan State's schedule has been easier, no doubt. They have yet to play a series; all have been tournament games.

Nebraska played the #1 RPI team (Charleston; NU lost the series 1-2).

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised to see Maryland at #90 and at 7th in the B1G. They traditionally have a pretty good program, so this is a very poor start for them.

UPDATES MARCH 21ST

B1G Standings (1-100)
15. Michigan State (-8)
44. Maryland (+46)
47. Michigan (+28)
56. Rutgers
67. Minnesota (-4)
78. Nebraska (-41)

Notables
18. College of Charleston (-17)
26. Arizona (-15)
33. Creighton (-9)
72. Tulane (-31)
79. San Diego (-24)
91. Indiana State (+11)
95. Long Beach State (-25)
99. Loyola Marymount (+9)
129. Nebraska-Omaha (-10)
158. Iowa (+40)
193. Kansas State (-12)
205. Kansas (-6)
247. Wichita State (+31)
274. Northern Colorado (+5)

*already played
*upcoming

Took the series from a putrid Wichita State team, which was the goal, but still dropped us in the rankings. I have a feeling playing a series against a team that bad was dropping us anyways from 37. So in theory, we needed to sweep (I guess you could argue you should win them all). But really tough to get mad at the team for going 8-1 in their homestand and their only loss was when their pitching gave up 17 walks. By the way, I thought that was an exaggeration when I saw it on the twitter but wow.

We head to Indiana this week to take on Indiana State (91st) and Purdue (264th). Gotta go 3-2 this week and hopefully you can get 4-1.

UPDATES MARCH 21ST

B1G Standings (1-100)
15. Michigan State (-8)
44. Maryland (+46)
47. Michigan (+28)
56. Rutgers
67. Minnesota (-4)
78. Nebraska (-41)

Notables
18. College of Charleston (-17)
26. Arizona (-15)
33. Creighton (-9)
72. Tulane (-31)
79. San Diego (-24)
91. Indiana State (+11)
95. Long Beach State (-25)
99. Loyola Marymount (+9)
129. Nebraska-Omaha (-10)
158. Iowa (+40)
193. Kansas State (-12)
205. Kansas (-6)
247. Wichita State (+31)
274. Northern Colorado (+5)

*already played
*upcoming

I'm not sure what your RPI source is, but I notice Warren Nolan has NU at #48. EDIT: Nevermind, that defaulted to last season when I googled the link.

Last edited:

Hope we can improve as the season progresses.

I would think we should be able to but it's tough in our conference to play quality opponents. With McSteen and Waldron as weekend rotation guys, that gives 2 of the 3 in their first year of actual game experience and playing which is going to hit some rough patches. Burkamper was cruising with 4 shutout innings and then the wheels absolutely came off for the staff. We have 19 HRs already compared to 22 all of last year, so power at least looks to be better.

I think where we are going to make or break our season is on five game road trips like what we are going to do this week, can we go 4-1? We probably need to split with Indiana State and sweep Purdue. But that's a lot easier said than done. If we would have swept Wichita State a 3-2 week would have been ok, but with a loss to them we probably need to go 4-1 to try and get to a regional this year.

We are seeing a combination of circumstances dropping NU's RPI currently ...

1. Playing poor teams, like Wichita State, offers little to no opportunity to improve your RPI -- and plenty of opportunity to drop it.
2. Each time we play a game/series against another mediocre to bad opponent, the weight of the early-season solid opponents is less (less of a percentage of the total games). 13 of our next 14 games are against teams lower than NU's current 78 RPI (some much lower). There's very little opportunity to advance significantly ... more opportunity to fall further, unless we take care of business.
3. Charleston was the #1 RPI. Even with our series loss, that helped NU's RPI. However, they've stumbled in the past week. Lost a game to Furman and a weekend series to VCU. Now, Charleston isn't helping our own RPI as much as they were a week ago.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back