• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Royals 2013

Holland ties the club strikeout record for relievers and the Royals end up ten games over .500...for only the tenth time in franchise history and the first since 1989. Best team in baseball (with the Red Sox, I think) since the break.

Great season, guys! I'm really excited for next year. The Royals will have high expectations for the first time in quite a while. See everyone in March!

Fantastic season (with exception to May). Really fun team. I hope the fans in KC actually start attending games next season. Geez -- it's a super fun team to watch!

As I said a couple months ago, Holland is my team MVP.

If the Royals can somehow keep all of the pitching intact, and then get a decent 2B and someone with power to protect Butler, very good things could happen next season.

I don't think there is any way we keep Santana. We need to find a #2 Pitcher to replace him and a big bat and we will rock it next year. loved...Loved LOVED this season!

I don't think there is any way we keep Santana. We need to find a #2 Pitcher to replace him and a big bat and we will rock it next year. loved...Loved LOVED this season!

Shields
Duffy
Guthrie
Ventura
Chen

Man, I'd love to see Santana back -- but yes, not likely. I think the Royals are fine with pitching. 6th in team ERA in the majors -- 1st in the AL.

Second baseman, yep. Big bat, yep.

Shields
Duffy
Guthrie
Ventura
Chen

Man, I'd love to see Santana back -- but yes, not likely. I think the Royals are fine with pitching. 6th in team ERA in the majors -- 1st in the AL.

Second baseman, yep. Big bat, yep.

Chen is also a free agent - I think Duffy can replace one of Santana/Chen, but it'll be interesting to see if the pockets open up and we keep one of the above. I agree, I'd LOVE to see Ervin back, but it would take him turning down big money elsewhere (Yanks, Dodgers?) to stay with a team he believes in. Not sure if that would work out.

It says here Holland keeps doing his thing next year...and how about Hochevar in the bullpen??? My goodness, what a turnaround. Heck, keep Luke as the 8th inning guy to set up Greg.

Well, that was a fun season. I'm not going to complain about 86 wins and staying relevant in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season. Next season will be different though, expectations wise. The playoffs or bust next year. We know this team can't make the playoffs with gaping holes (2b and a power bat like previously mentioned), and we know the starting rotation has to be as good or better than the one this year. The only thing that worries me about next season is that KC stayed relatively healthy this year. Only Perez and Cain hit the DL for any length of time this year (and Cain's abscence wasn't that bad because of the depth at OF). What happens if Gordon, Hosmer or Shields hit the DL next season? That's what I'm most worried about.

Anyways, there's no reason why Glass shouldn't spend a few more bucks to fill in any holes on this team. He saw the fan support in the stands on through TV ratings.

Well, that was a fun season. I'm not going to complain about 86 wins and staying relevant in the playoff hunt until the last week of the season. Next season will be different though, expectations wise. The playoffs or bust next year. We know this team can't make the playoffs with gaping holes (2b and a power bat like previously mentioned), and we know the starting rotation has to be as good or better than the one this year. The only thing that worries me about next season is that KC stayed relatively healthy this year. Only Perez and Cain hit the DL for any length of time this year (and Cain's abscence wasn't that bad because of the depth at OF). What happens if Gordon, Hosmer or Shields hit the DL next season? That's what I'm most worried about.

Anyways, there's no reason why Glass shouldn't spend a few more bucks to fill in any holes on this team. He saw the fan support in the stands on through TV ratings.

I think playoffs can be done with the lineup as is but it certainly doesn't leave much room for error. The reason I say that is that I expect a lot more from Gordon and Moustakas's bats. If both of those guys hit 40 points better, we score a lot more runs. I think they both can hit 40 points better as that would put Gordon around the .300 area and Moose around .275. Maxwell is an upgrade in right field hitting wise for sure and it would be nice to get more production from the CF position. Escobar shows flashes of having a good bat so maybe with a little more experience, he will be a plus at the plate as well. His defense is so good that you live with this years .234 average.

I wish there was a power hitting 2B available.

Chen is also a free agent - I think Duffy can replace one of Santana/Chen, but it'll be interesting to see if the pockets open up and we keep one of the above. I agree, I'd LOVE to see Ervin back, but it would take him turning down big money elsewhere (Yanks, Dodgers?) to stay with a team he believes in. Not sure if that would work out.

It says here Holland keeps doing his thing next year...and how about Hochevar in the bullpen??? My goodness, what a turnaround. Heck, keep Luke as the 8th inning guy to set up Greg.

I think the pockets will open up for offense. Chen is not a superstar, but as a #4 or #5, he's more than adequate. A lot more money will be available to bring in a bat or two (and second baseman) by letting Santana go.

And yes, seeing Luke finally find his place -- after all of these years and hoping he'd live up to the hype as dominant starter -- I couldn't be happier for him (and the team).

I think there needs to be serious talk about Billy Butler too. When he had a year like last year not a big deal, but this year it's kind of irritating. On a cash strapped team like the Royals the DH has to be able to platoon somewhere. It would be nice to have the DH as a rotating spot for players not in lineup (Perez on off days, Gordon on off days, Maxwell etc.) I would like to see them examine what they could get for him. Billy definitely isn't David Ortiz where you feel you need his bat in the lineup because he consistently gives you 30+ HRs and 90+ RBIs.

I think there needs to be serious talk about Billy Butler too. When he had a year like last year not a big deal, but this year it's kind of irritating. On a cash strapped team like the Royals the DH has to be able to platoon somewhere. It would be nice to have the DH as a rotating spot for players not in lineup (Perez on off days, Gordon on off days, Maxwell etc.) I would like to see them examine what they could get for him. Billy definitely isn't David Ortiz where you feel you need his bat in the lineup because he consistently gives you 30+ HRs and 90+ RBIs.

I was talking to a friend who is a big baseball guy and I admitted that for the first time it wouldn't bother me if the Royals used Butler in some sort of trade. He's been a good member of the organization, but he's just not cutting it as a DH here. My friend told me that he can't believe KC fans have been so supportive of Butler over the past few years. He's a nice DH, and someone who can fill the role for a team that has no plans to make the playoffs, but now that KC has a team on the cusp of the postseason, it's time to fill the DH spot with someone who you can pencil in 100 RBI's and possibly hit 30 HR's a year.

I don't know, that sounds a little tough to me. He was pitched around an awful lot this year and had no protection in the lineup. I'd like to see what he can do with a decent bat or two behind him.

I don't know, that sounds a little tough to me. He was pitched around an awful lot this year and had no protection in the lineup. I'd like to see what he can do with a decent bat or two behind him.

IMO, the only time you should take on a defensive liability as your DH is if he's got a big-time bat (30+ HRs and 115+ RBIs; though Glass probably wouldn't pay for that). Otherwise you are wasting a bench spot on a guy that is just a good hitter, and the Royals and other small market teams can't afford to take that on!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back