• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roby Seeks Breakout Year!

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Husker sophomore Isaiah Roby gets to work in weight room, seeks a breakout year on the court

upload_2017-7-19_22-40-49.png

Last year, Roby came to Lincoln at about 185 pounds. He recently stepped off the scale of strength coach Tim Wilson at 220.

Through the pain last season, Roby showed flashes of what Nebraska coach Tim Miles wants him to do, which is fill the stat sheet through his versatility.
With the strength Roby has gained, his confidence has zoomed, especially the days that he and McVeigh work out with the 6-11, 275-pound Tshimanga, 6-8, 230-pound transfer Duby Okeke and 6-9, 220-pound transfer Isaac Copeland.

“I know Jordy is a big guy, but he doesn’t feel that big to me now,” Roby said. “And Duby is a big guy, but I feel I can hold my own.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-b...cle_3c328c58-cc4c-5af5-b21a-610d8c667895.html

Gained 35 lbs from this time last year. Man, Wilson works wonders with those kids.

Roby has unlimited potential, if he has unlimited work ethic to go along with it, it's crazy to think how far he could go. That video of him shooting several weeks ago, probably buried 12 3s in a row. Could be special. Even if he doesn't develop much from here, he will still be a pretty good player.

I'm excited to see him play.

I'm very tempted to throw cold water on this article... but I really want to believe. If the freshmen and Roby can hit threes this year, who knows what the team could do. Also Jeriah Horne, grrr.

I'm very tempted to throw cold water on this article... but I really want to believe. If the freshmen and Roby can hit threes this year, who knows what the team could do. Also Jeriah Horne, grrr.
I thought both Roby and Jordy would be huge contributors this year but so far, I am a little disappointed. I think Roby will still end up being one, not as convinced with Jordy.

I thought both Roby and Jordy would be huge contributors this year but so far, I am a little disappointed. I think Roby will still end up being one, not as convinced with Jordy.
Roby definitely brings a lot to the game...stay out of foul trouble against Creighton and may have been enough. Need him on the floor more.

Great Article on Isaiah Roby (in the Jan 6, 2018 Sauk Valley local newspaper). :thumbsup:

http://www.saukvalley.com/2018/01/05/roby-making-big-strides-in-2nd-season-with-huskers/ahbfrer/

With 50 seconds to go, he poked the ball away from Northwestern forward Dererk Pardon, then saved the ball along the baseline for a steal. On the ensuing offensive possession, Roby hit a 3-pointer from the left wing that put the Cornhuskers up 70-53. Afterward, he pointed toward the bench, signaling with three fingers. It was directed at teammate Nana Akenten, a freshman forward at Nebraska.

“Nana was talking to me at halftime because I didn’t have that good of a first half,” Roby said. “I could hear him behind me. He was going, ‘Shoot it. shoot it.’ He’s always telling me to shoot it. That one was for him.”
“Quite frankly, I try to wait as long as possible to spring it on the opponent so they kind of feel like, ‘Oh no, here we go,’” Miles said. “Isaiah gives us so much versatility because he can guard a center, he can switch out and guard a guard, and then offensively, he can score down low, he can make 3s, and he can pass it. I would say he’s a real matchup problem for folks.”
“I love it at Nebraska,” Roby said. “Lincoln is a bigger city, maybe twice the size of Rockford, but it’s got a small-town feel, kind of like Dixon. The athletes, we see each other all the time around campus and know each other. Basketball-wise, we’re having a good season. Everything’s been great so far.”

Plus a lot of other interesting stuff! ;)

Last edited:

“We had a lot of guys leave,” Roby said of the 2016-17 team, “and at the end of the season, they didn’t just decide to leave. They decided during the season. There was some stuff going on behind the scenes that they weren’t too happy with, and it kind of brought the whole team down, morale-wise.

:wow:

Great read. Thanks Red Don. :thumbsup:

“We had a lot of guys leave,” Roby said of the 2016-17 team, “and at the end of the season, they didn’t just decide to leave. They decided during the season. There was some stuff going on behind the scenes that they weren’t too happy with, and it kind of brought the whole team down, morale-wise.

I agree Ackos. :wow:

I really liked this;

Miles also noted Roby is a positive ambassador for Nebraska hoops off the court, simply by being nice to people. On the court, the coach would like to see the player play with more of an edge.

“I’m like, ‘Isaiah, you don’t have to bring that personality on the floor, because nobody else is nice to us there,’” Miles said. :Lol:

That quote says a lot. I was upset with how the season ended last year. When Jacobson announced he was transferring, I was just done with Miles. Over the summer, the crap going on with the team started to leak out and I started to understand better.

That quote says a lot. I was upset with how the season ended last year. When Jacobson announced he was transferring, I was just done with Miles. Over the summer, the crap going on with the team started to leak out and I started to understand better.
I guess I didn't hear too much about what was going on behind the scenes. Do you have a link or could you posibly shoot me a brief PM?

I was hoping he would be playing better by this part of the seasons. I still think he by far has the most potential on the team. Each game i'm just waiting for him to break out. Maybe it's because there are just a lot of decent scoring options/players and he's just looking to fit in end not the need to assert himself more.

I feel like he just needs to make it happen. Like the cliche act like you've been there or act like you know. I feel like those are cliches anyway... :) Anyway, I'm still very confident he will break out in a big way, however it may be in his Jr seasons.

Last edited:
I’m interested in the leaks. Can you PM me?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back