• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roby Match Up Advantage-Shoot the three!

skerBob

Just another unsuspecting mammal
5 Year Member
How many open threes from the top of the key has Roby passed up this season? I often wondered why he didn't shoot it. After watching him drain them last night, I am convinced that he needs to shoot those more. It would add to the match up advantage he has. Forcing their five to come out and guard would unclog the middle for others and also allow him to get by his defender and to the hoop more often. He a decent short range jumper that we rarely see. He needs to use all of his tools because of what he gives up on defense playing the five.

Shooting 41%....only taken 34 so far so that's a small sample size. But yeah, if he has an open 3 he should take it until he proves he can't hit it.
Wow. I had no idea it was that many. Seems as if he passes up three or four a game.

I think Roby is getting better shooting as the season goes... he was shooting and missing more at the beginning of the season. Now he takes shots in rhythm and hits them. I was looking for non-con vs con stats for Nebraska but couldn't find them. Those stats should show if he's getting better or not.

Either way, I would like him to push his offense a little more than he has, but not to the crazy Palmer level because Palmer is almost that good and Roby is just learning. But Roby has potential like no player I remember at Nebraska... raw athleticism maybe Terrance Badgett, but Roby can handle the ball and is taller. Basketball-wise he could eclipse everyone else. I don't want to jinx him so I won't say the players I think he could compare with after another season.

I think Roby is getting better shooting as the season goes... he was shooting and missing more at the beginning of the season. Now he takes shots in rhythm and hits them. I was looking for non-con vs con stats for Nebraska but couldn't find them. Those stats should show if he's getting better or not.

Either way, I would like him to push his offense a little more than he has, but not to the crazy Palmer level because Palmer is almost that good and Roby is just learning. But Roby has potential like no player I remember at Nebraska... raw athleticism maybe Terrance Badgett, but Roby can handle the ball and is taller. Basketball-wise he could eclipse everyone else. I don't want to jinx him so I won't say the players I think he could compare with after another season.
I agree...And you can see it when he is playing with confidence. When he is confident, he is so difficult to defend, and, when he isn't, he plays hard, but locks that potential up inside. He has the ability to get the ball at the top of the key and hit the three or jam it home like he did against Rutgers. My son is still talking about the play. When he starts to drive to the hoop and dish to his teammates who are open because of help side defense or stop, pop, and drop from mid-range, he'll be scary for the rest of the B1G good.

But Roby has potential like no player I remember at Nebraska... raw athleticism maybe Terrance Badgett, but Roby can handle the ball and is taller.

I had student/floor tickets for all of his playing years and I didn't notice this... Kinda seems comical, but maybe I'm missing something. Not saying he wasn't athletic, but not one I would put in even top 10 or 20 IMO.

I agree...And you can see it when he is playing with confidence. When he is confident, he is so difficult to defend, and, when he isn't, he plays hard, but locks that potential up inside. He has the ability to get the ball at the top of the key and hit the three or jam it home like he did against Rutgers. My son is still talking about the play. When he starts to drive to the hoop and dish to his teammates who are open because of help side defense or stop, pop, and drop from mid-range, he'll be scary for the rest of the B1G good.

Agree with everyone. He's starting to take them more, but so far it's only when he's wide open. A lot more will open up for him once he takes them with a guy up closer on him. 3 pointer....or pump fake/drive for the bucket or drop off.

He will be better next year. The only thing is we return everyone so he may be able to truly shine until his Sr year.

Shooting 41%....only taken 34 so far so that's a small sample size. But yeah, if he has an open 3 he should take it until he proves he can't hit it.
especially the top of the key... he has a pretty nice free throw stroke... probably played a lot of "21" in his day and now all the kids play it with 3s from the top of the key instead of FTs....

Agree with everyone. He's starting to take them more, but so far it's only when he's wide open. A lot more will open up for him once he takes them with a guy up closer on him. 3 pointer....or pump fake/drive for the bucket or drop off.

He will be better next year. The only thing is we return everyone so he may be able to truly shine until his Sr year.
If playing with confidence becomes his game, next year could become a huge season for him and the team...even with Palmer, Copeland, and Watson...especially if he recognizes when he should take it to the the rim. And I'm not just talking about like the monster dunk he had against Rutgers.

I'm looking forward to watching him over the next two years as well as in the B1G and NCAA Tournaments this year.

Last edited:
especially the top of the key... he has a pretty nice free throw stroke... probably played a lot of "21" in his day and now all the kids play it with 3s from the top of the key instead of FTs....

Funny...i'm too old to do much as far as driving in BB, my dribbling has always been suspect and I can't jump, but people get irritated when I play 21 or when in pick up when we shoot a 3 to see who's on for next game. They say I'm just shooting FTs. I do the same line up my right foot, 3 dribble routine, but I think I get like 1/2' off the floor during it. :)

I had student/floor tickets for all of his playing years and I didn't notice this... Kinda seems comical, but maybe I'm missing something. Not saying he wasn't athletic, but not one I would put in even top 10 or 20 IMO.
Jason Dourisseau? Erick Strickland? They are both inches shorter than Roby, and I think Badgett was around 6'8". I guess I didn't qualify it with height. There have been amazing athletes, but not at that size.

Roby is special, but we'll have to see how much of his perceived potential he realizes. I'm looking forward to him getting really good.

Nice Article on Roby Relevant to this thread! :nod:

Roby’s all-around game shines with Huskers
http://www.saukvalley.com/2018/02/22/robys-all-around-game-shines-with-huskers/ayd7cow/

The ability to throw it down only begins to show Roby’s impact on the Cornhuskers, however. After the Northwestern game back on Jan. 2, head coach Tim Miles described the 2016 Dixon grad as a “secret weapon” he liked to unleash on unsuspecting opponents.
Roby noted the adjustment from super sub to starter hasn’t been that difficult.
“The only difference would be instead of watching it and seeing how the game is going, I get to try and set a tone early,” Roby said. “That’s probably the only difference for me.”
A shining example of that came on Sunday in a 72-66 loss at Illinois. The Fighting Illini were hot early, and threatened to run away and hide. Roby, however, kept Nebraska afloat by hitting all five of his first-half shots, including three 3-pointers, for 13 points to keep his team within 43-36 at halftime. He also had five rebounds and three blocked shots in 17 minutes of court time.
An area of Roby’s game that looks to be improving is his long-range marksmanship. He made all three of his attempts against Illinois, was 1-for-2 against Indiana, and is 15-for-36 on the season. His .417 shooting percentage from 3-point range is second on the team to backup guard Evan Taylor, who is shooting at a .484 clip (15-for-31).

When we have a player with his potential extent it’s going to be less likely to retain such a talent beyond his best year at any team. Players do tend to leave earlier when they take a team to the top, similar to this year!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back