• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RIP Philip Roth

joestrummer

Late of Pablo Fanque's Fair
15 Year Member
Damn. If not my favorite writer of all time, he's definitely in the top 3. RIP to a true giant of American literature.

I honestly had to look him up, as I've never heard of him, let alone any of the titles I just saw.

I honestly had to look him up, as I've never heard of him, let alone any of the titles I just saw.
Give him a shot next time you're looking for a book for a flight/vacation/whatever (Portnoy's Complaint, American Pastoral, or I Married a Communist are all good places to start). The guy churned out great book after great book. This is a nice little eulogy...
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...p-roth-a-giant-of-american-literature/561002/

The NYT is a little more hyperbolic...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/books/philip-roth-apprasial.html

Last edited:
Give him a shot next time you're looking for a book for a flight/vacation/whatever (Portnoy's Complaint, American Pastoral, or I Married a Communist are all good places to start). The guy churned out great book after great book. This is a nice little eulogy...
https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...p-roth-a-giant-of-american-literature/561002/
I have a library not more than 4 miles from me, I think I will hit them up and see if they carry any of his books. As much as I like a good movie or show, there is nothing like a good book to read.

I Married a Communist
So, I finally got a copy of this book, and am currently at the break on page 105. I didn't know what to expect, and was kind of like, "What the Hell am I reading" in the first 20 - 25 pages or so, maybe a little longer. So far, I am impressed. The more I read this book, the more I am curious about several things, including how it's going to end. Just today, I came across a passage that literally had me laughing out loud, as it made me think of some of the bickering, back and forth, on HM. LOL.... I am going to type the whole paragraph, as it's funny as hell.

"Full of crap in Iran, full of crap still, Iron Man." Then, again to me---I was the sounding board, the straight man, the fuse on the bomb--- Goldstine said, "Nobody could ever listen to anything he says. Nobody could ever take him seriously. The guy's a joke. He can't think. Never could. Doesn't know anything, doesn't see anything, doesn't learn anything. The Communists get a dummy like Ira and they use him. Mankind at its stupidest doesn't come any stupider." Then, turning to Ira, he said, "Get out my house, you dumb Communist prick."

That may not make a lot of sense to anyone reading that, that hasn't read the book, but man, I can't even begin to tell you, how I laughed out loud when I read that. Joe, thanks for the heads up man. (as a little side note, it kind of reminds me, so far, of Sandlot, in it's narrative. very cool)

Last edited:
Yes he was a great novelist. Read Portnoy's Complaint and American Pastoral back in the day.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back