• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's Vision at Nebraska Coming Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with his strategic vision. Not always a fan of some tactics used by the positions, but strategy is different than tactics.

I just think we have to adjust when the problems are detected not after the problem. He's been a little passive in the first year. Last year was better, but not great.

His half time adjustments haven't been terrible. I just wish he was more fluid throughout the whole contest. And strategy-wise I wish he'd keep rotating players, not just in the non-conference.

Go back and take a look you'll find I've been very consistent about record. First thing I said was that Mike would get a full recruiting cycle (four years) before we could honestly evaluate him. Therefore record would be meaningless. If this experiment works (changing the culture of a program is not a small undertaking) we should win the conference in 2019.

Curious, what constitutes this an "experiment?"

Other than a culture change (which is a positive from where BO left it), why do you choose the "experiment" tag?

Is it an experiment anywhere when a coach tries to institute a positive culture?

Edit: if you label any and all coaching changes "experiments", than disregard questions.

Last edited:

Other than a culture change (which is a positive from where BO left it), why do you choose the "experiment" tag?

Is it an experiment anywhere when a coach tries to institute a positive culture?

Edit: if you label any and all coaching changes "experiments", than disregard questions.

This is something that I have wondered too, and there are others on here that use that label. Why is it an experiment? Because it is a different philosophy than what won championships in the past? Because it is not the culture since he has shown nothing but reverence for the NU program and her traditions. Personally I think it is a subtle way to denigrate SE and MR.

C

This is something that I have wondered too, and there are others on here that use that label. Why is it an experiment? Because it is a different philosophy than what won championships in the past? Because it is not the culture since he has shown nothing but reverence for the NU program and her traditions. Personally I think it is a subtle way to denigrate SE and MR.

C
Subtle?

C

It's not subtle. People use "experiment" in politics all the time to disparage an opponents plan. In this case, it allows plausible deniability should things go well.

With regard to the OP, Riley has been looking at the long range plan, which irks a lot of fans who were OK with 9-4, but now demand immediate results. He redshirted linemen last year for just that reason. He has a vision that is coming together and he & SE will sink or swim based on that vision. Calling a peer respected coach such as Riley an experiment is just a ridiculous insult.

Go back and take a look you'll find I've been very consistent about record. First thing I said was that Mike would get a full recruiting cycle (four years) before we could honestly evaluate him. Therefore record would be meaningless. If this experiment works (changing the culture of a program is not a small undertaking) we should win the conference in 2019.

The culture of the program was going to change no matter who was hired. It absolutely, positively HAD to change.

But, I suspect you mostly mean the offense.

The culture of the program was going to change no matter who was hired. It absolutely, positively HAD to change.

But, I suspect you mostly mean the offense.
He does, he mistakenly thinks of a power running game as our culture. While it certainly has been a part of it, largely from the late 70's until TO left in 1997, it is just that, merely a part of the culture during a specific period of time. The culture is made up of lots of things and has changed little since Devaney brought the Big Red back to life in the 60's.

Anytime you hire a longtime coach who has never won at a high level and hope by giving him all sorts of resources he suddenly figures how to win at a high level that would be deemed an experiment.

Anytime you hire a longtime coach who has never won at a high level and hope by giving him all sorts of resources he suddenly figures how to win at a high level that would be deemed an experiment.

I see you are still trying to make a direct comparison between NU and the Beavers. What MR did at OSU with the inability to get quality talent in the two deep is winning at a high level.

C

Last edited:
[QUOTE="MadRat, post: 3056251, member: 4779]

His half time adjustments haven't been terrible. I just wish he was more fluid throughout the whole contest. And strategy-wise I wish he'd keep rotating players, not just in the non-conference.[/QUOTE]

I think we might see some better 'on the fly' adjustments this year. I'm guessing they put Elliott as the 'eye in the sky', who can give Diaco the info he's accustomed to. I also think there's a chance, with QBs comfortable in an offense, Langsdorf is the guy in the press box on the O side. Maybe not, but he can really see what the offense is doing and how to exploit a defense knowing his QBs abilities.

Recruiting resources sure seem to be helping. I mean if past history means everything and resources don't really matter, why aren't Riley's classes at NU ranked around #50?

Riley won at a high level by Oregon St. standards. His 6 bowl wins are more than all OSU coaches in history combined. If I were throwing shade his way, I'd say it's clear he got a little too comfortable in Corvalis. When there is very little pressure to win, it's easy to stick with loyal, long time assistants even when they aren't getting it done. No such luxury in Lincoln.

Recruiting resources sure seem to be helping. I mean if past history means everything and resources don't really matter, why aren't Riley's classes at NU ranked around #50?

Riley won at a high level by Oregon St. standards. His 6 bowl wins are more than all OSU coaches in history combined. If I were throwing shade his way, I'd say it's clear he got a little too comfortable in Corvalis. When there is very little pressure to win, it's easy to stick with loyal, long time assistants even when they aren't getting it done. No such luxury in Lincoln.

Nice observation and I think MR has shown he is able to spot where change is needed. He has done a pretty good job with those changes so far.

C

That first paragraph essentially dismisses the "hope" and "experiment" arguments. Better recruiting resources at NU=better recruiting results. (folks who only check the recruiting board when someone decommits dont know the current class is rated 9th) Over the next couple of years we'll see if the recruiting results translate to the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back