• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's Vision at Nebraska Coming Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Red Lebowski

A:Always, B: Be, C: Cornhusking
15 Year Member
From the front page: http://247sports.com/Article/Nebras...ing-at-a-high-level-under-Mike-Riley-52341311

Hours after he committed to Nebraska on Saturday night over an offer list that included a who's who of college football suitors, Top247 cornerback Brendan Radley-Hiles told 247Sports, "I was born to be a Blackshirt."

If it weren't for Mike Riley and the third-year staff in Lincoln, the nation's No. 5 cornerback may not have ever figured out his apparent destiny.

Nebraska continues to trend towards being the class of the Big Ten West. The quarterback position is set for years to come with Tanner Lee and former 247Sports Top100 recruit Patrick O'Brien battling for the starting job and early enrollee freshman four-star Tristan Gebbia also showing a lot of promise this spring.

The secondary could be a strength as it reloads, with nobody having more upside nationally in the 2017 class than Huskers signee Elijah Blades (247Sports' No. 3-ranked cornerback). Team him up with Radley-Hiles and 2015 class jewel Lamar Jackson (the cornerback, not the Heisman winner) and it's a secondary that has the size, length and speed to go toe to toe with anybody's playmakers.

The backfield is stable and the receiver group is loading up on playmakers like JD Spielman, Tyjon Lindsey (America's top slot receiver recruit in 2017), along with Allen and the very explosive Eric Fuller in this class.

Riley is going toe-to-toe with top programs and actually winning some recruiting battles. We really haven't seen that on a consistent basis since Osborne.

I agree. My only concern is recruiting in the trenches; they're doing great elsewhere. That still needs to get better to truly be a contender.

From the same article:

It's coming together in the trenches with Top247 offensive linemen Matt Farniok, John Raridon along with Boe Wilson all being hits in the 2016 class and Brenden Jaimes and Matt Sichterman being two from the 2017 class that will be good players. Defensive tackle was addressed in 2017 with Damion Daniels, Deiontae Watts and Deontre Thomas.

I think MR & staff will probably comprise the best recruiting team in the West, but I think PJ Fleck & staff will present a stiff challenge.

Wisconsin will surely be good each year as well.

Last edited:
I think MR & staff will probably comprise the best recruiting team in the West, but I think PJ Fleck & staff will present a stiff challenge.

Wisconsin will surely be good each year as well.

If PJ Fleck puts together 3 decent year at Minnesota, say 8-4 or above, he will gone to bigger and better things.

Minnesota won't be a recruiting challenge.

IMO, Fleck is going to turn out a lot more like Dave Doeren than Chris Peterson, and Doeren is currently residing in the "dead or Canadian?" file.

He just comes off a little loony tunes to me, and that almost never ends well. He went out of his way to make it known he took a pay cut to coach Minnesota then bought a $3 million home. That's just bad optics and a lack of self-awareness. At a recent press conference, he said that he "eats difficult conversations for breakfast" whatever that means.

If PJ Fleck puts together 3 decent year at Minnesota, say 8-4 or above, he will gone to bigger and better things.

Minnesota used to be a powerhouse; maybe with the right coach, they could be again.

IMO, Fleck is going to turn out a lot more like Dave Doeren than Chris Peterson, and Doeren is currently residing in the "dead or Canadian?" file.

He just comes off a little loony tunes to me, and that almost never ends well. He went out of his way to make it known he took a pay cut to coach Minnesota then bought a $3 million home. That's just bad optics and a lack of self-awareness. At a recent press conference, he said that he "eats difficult conversations for breakfast" whatever that means.
Yeah I read that quote. Seems a bit tool-ish. Whether he's good or bad at Minny will have more to do about his coaching prowess than recruiting...NU won't be losing many recruits to them.

What I like most about what I am seeing is that although Riley is bringing a new philosophy and new schemes, he's showing great respect for the traditions that we have here. He's embraced everything about the Nebraska program, from the fans to the blackshirts to the high expectations. He doesn't act like recruiting to Lincoln is a yoke around his neck. It's what makes him different from our past two coaching failures and why any comparisons to either of those coaches is misplaced. He's not abandoning his offensive philosophy or his approach to the game, but he's also molding it what was already great about the program.

In his first year, DJ Durkin took Maryland from the 42nd best class in 2016 to 18th best in 2017...and he didn't even have a good season (6-7 record last season) . A young energetic coach can make a big difference with recruiting. It's a salesmanship thing.

If Minnesota beats UNL on the field this year, that could make a recruiting difference, too. Does anybody know that's not going to happen?

Last edited:
In his first year, DJ Durkin took Maryland from the 42nd best class in 2016 to 18th best in 2017...and he didn't even have a good season (6-7 record last season) . A young energetic coach can make a big difference with recruiting. It's a salesmanship thing.

If Minnesota beats UNL on the field this year, that could make a recruiting difference, too. Does anybody know that's not going to happen?
care to make a wager?

Minnesota won't be a recruiting challenge.

We're at 10 and they're at 11 in the 247 Composite right now*. Eat our dust, Gophers!

* But you're probably and hopefully right. They have a lower average ranking and more commits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back