• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley dispels rumor

#1 way you know your posts are full of crap? Paramus agrees with you. BTW, who else on here sees the first line of a Paramus post and just says Texas it, I'm tired of reading this verbose crap?

Thanks, Impaler! This is great! I have been trying to get on your nerves for the longest!

33964229.jpg

What a Sap!

:Rolf:

Last edited:
I do believe that Eichorst at least had an influence on these decisions. No way he didn't in my opinion. Riley made the final decision, but at some point these things were talked about. SE's backside is on the line as well.

I do believe that Eichorst at least had an influence on these decisions. No way he didn't in my opinion. Riley made the final decision, but at some point these things were talked about. SE's backside is on the line as well.

Like the OP said, several have suggested that SE was involved, and you pointed out the main reason why. RDR is saying it is still possible despite MR's denial.

But we have to hope it isn't true. It would be best if SE had absolutely nothing to do with the decision because as BR Lebowski said....

"If Riley is eating crayons while SE and BD run the team, then Nebraska has zero chance to be successful under Riley. Zero."

Last edited:

I'd hope that if "the rumor" was true and the AD was insisting on calling the shots regarding who gets fired and hired on Riley's coaching staff that he'd refuse to comply and would resign. That's what I would do if I were Riley and had been presented with that situation. On the other hand, if I were SE and was not happy with Riley's staff, the best way for an AD to get rid of underperforming assistant coaches is to just fire the head coach.

Not so fast my friend! Your thinking makes sense, but for SE, it is much less expensive to get rid of assistant coaches than head coaches. When they decided not to extend Banker's contract, I'll bet he got no severance pay. If SE replaces the HC, it will cost his department a whole lot. Plus, SE knows he will look like a fool if he fires his main man Riley after just 2 or 3 years.

Even if SE is calling the shots, MR would have plenty of incentive to stay. MR wants to coach, and he won't be doing that if he resigns...and he won't find a better coaching job than UNL. Plus if he resigns, he'd be throwing away a big bucks severance package and he would be putting the jobs of his friends and colleagues in jeopardy.

So, if the rumor is true, what YOU would do if you were MR or SE is probably different than what they would do.

Last edited:
It is not about truth or not. In this case much of what you said is conjecture. Here is the truth though. Bo is gone, he is not coming back and nothing you can do or say will change that. So take his poster off your wall and find something else to kiss before you go to bed. For the record on his way out the door he professed his hate for everything about NE football including the fans. That includes you my friend. So continuing to rehash that is irrelevant to whether or not HCMR will find success here.

As a FAN I will continue to support MR while he is our coach. If that makes you puke grab a bucket buddy.
I DONT CARE ABOUT BO. I never mentioned him, YOU DID!!!!

I DONT CARE ABOUT BO. I never mentioned him, YOU DID!!!!
Actually you did.
Eichorst may have suggested changes, but I doubt he forced them. His ass is on the line on this deal. If Riley fails, Eichorst shouldn't be the one to can him. It was a HUGE roll of the dice to begin with, a very risky, out of left field hire. If Riley can't win, Eichorst shouldn't be the one hiring another football coach. Have to see moving forward. Hard to fire a 70% coach and replace him with a 50% coach.
So who exactly wa the 70% coach you mentioned if not Bo?

Guess I am a little late to the party, I had not heard that rumor until reading it on here. Wish someone would start a rumor that Cindy Crawford left her husband for me. That would be about as real.

Not so fast my friend! Your thinking makes sense, but for SE, it is much less expensive to get rid of assistant coaches than head coaches. When they decided not to extend Banker's contract, I'll bet he got no severance pay. If SE replaces the HC, it will cost his department a whole lot. Plus, SE knows he will look like a fool if he fires his main man Riley after just 2 or 3 years.

Even if SE is calling the shots, MR would have plenty of incentive to stay. MR wants to coach, and he won't be doing that if he resigns...and he won't find a better coaching job than UNL. Plus if he resigns, he'd be throwing away a big bucks severance package and he would be putting the jobs of his friends and colleagues in jeopardy.

So, if the rumor is true, what YOU would do if you were MR or SE is probably different than what they would do.

SE wants to win. My view is that if I had to coerce and manipulate (in other words, micromanage) the head coach into making changes in order to win, I probably have hired the wrong head coach. On the other hand, if the head coach makes changes on his own that, in my view, enhance the program's chances of being successful, then I might just have the right head coach for the job.

Riley will be 64 years old this year. I recognize that this is the best and highest paying job he's ever had. I'm just 6 years younger than he is. If my "boss" is attempting to micromanage the work that I am responsible for when I am 64 (or now, for that matter), I'll just walk away. I'd be surprised if Riley didn't have the same principled thought process. He's a head football coach. Those guys tend to want to run their own shows.

But as you say, MR and SE might think differently than I do. Yet MR clearly stated that it was his decision and his decision alone. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that he is remotely dishonest. And I'm really not much of a conspiracy theorist. I'll leave that sort of thought process to others........

It's bizarre to me the some fans seem to want the rumor that Riley isn't calling the shots to be true. It just doesn't make sense. If Riley is eating crayons while SE and BD run the team, then Nebraska has zero chance to be successful under Riley. Zero. The very last thing Nebraska needs is another coaching transition.
But agendas run deep on the internet.

Last edited:

SE wants to win. My view is that if I had to coerce and manipulate (in other words, micromanage) the head coach into making changes in order to win, I probably have hired the wrong head coach. On the other hand, if the head coach makes changes on his own that, in my view, enhance the program's chances of being successful, then I might just have the right head coach for the job.

Riley will be 64 years old this year. I recognize that this is the best and highest paying job he's ever had. I'm just 6 years younger than he is. If my "boss" is attempting to micromanage the work that I am responsible for when I am 64 (or now, for that matter), I'll just walk away. I'd be surprised if Riley didn't have the same principled thought process. He's a head football coach. Those guys tend to want to run their own shows.

But as you say, MR and SE might think differently than I do. Yet MR clearly stated that it was his decision and his decision alone. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that he is remotely dishonest. And I'm really not much of a conspiracy theorist. I'll leave that sort of thought process to others........

You are correct. Nobody likes to be micro-managed. But MR would be giving up a lot to walk away from it (if it was happening). And I agree with you...I seriously doubt that MR is being micromanaged.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back