• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley dispels rumor

What was said that wasn't true? What? You're such a yes man it's sickening. Dudes like you make me want to puke.
It is not about truth or not. In this case much of what you said is conjecture. Here is the truth though. Bo is gone, he is not coming back and nothing you can do or say will change that. So take his poster off your wall and find something else to kiss before you go to bed. For the record on his way out the door he professed his hate for everything about NE football including the fans. That includes you my friend. So continuing to rehash that is irrelevant to whether or not HCMR will find success here.

As a FAN I will continue to support MR while he is our coach. If that makes you puke grab a bucket buddy.

Last edited:

What was said that wasn't true? What? You're such a yes man it's sickening. Dudes like you make me want to puke.

Classy post. I would expect nothing more from you. By the way, I'll throw out a guess as to why huskerthom deemed your post worthy of a double eyeroll. When I saw that you had the most recent post, before I even opened the thread, I thought to myself that "I bet he found an excuse to point out that Riley is a 'career .500 coach.'" And you didn't disappoint.

When you come up with an original thought that you haven't already regurgitated 10,000 times, a post that doesn't include asinine pablum like "simple," "just win," "career .500 coach," "we'll see" or "nothing we can do but wait;" or inexplicably add in a bunch of r's when you're trying to emphasize something "rrrreal easy" or "verrrry simple;" then maybe people will stop rolling their digital eyes at your posts.

So would he admit the rumor if it was true, or would he just take the burden off SE?

I'd hope that if "the rumor" was true and the AD was insisting on calling the shots regarding who gets fired and hired on Riley's coaching staff that he'd refuse to comply and would resign. That's what I would do if I were Riley and had been presented with that situation. On the other hand, if I were SE and was not happy with Riley's staff, the best way for an AD to get rid of underperforming assistant coaches is to just fire the head coach.

Classy post. I would expect nothing more from you. By the way, I'll throw out a guess as to why huskerthom deemed your post worthy of a double eyeroll. When I saw that you had the most recent post, before I even opened the thread, I thought to myself that "I bet he found an excuse to point out that Riley is a 'career .500 coach.'" And you didn't disappoint.

When you come up with an original thought that you haven't already regurgitated 10,000 times, a post that doesn't include asinine pablum like "simple," "just win," "career .500 coach," "we'll see" or "nothing we can do but wait;" or inexplicably add in a bunch of r's when you're trying to emphasize something "rrrreal easy" or "verrrry simple;" then maybe people will stop rolling their digital eyes at your posts.
images

Eichorst may have suggested changes, but I doubt he forced them. His ass is on the line on this deal. If Riley fails, Eichorst shouldn't be the one to can him. It was a HUGE roll of the dice to begin with, a very risky, out of left field hire. If Riley can't win, Eichorst shouldn't be the one hiring another football coach. Have to see moving forward. Hard to fire a 70% coach and replace him with a 50% coach.

I hear you HIO. But the Director of UNL football operations (Mr. DVD) said that coach Riley is the most competitive person he has ever been around. MR is making swift staff upgrades and I am sure he will quickly make some more if necessary. And he won't promote from within as much as he will bring in outsiders who are the best available. MR only knew Diaco for a few days before he hired him, yes?

And who would be better at putting new coaches together on the same page than a guy with a personality like MR? You won't find many. MR's personality, reputation, and knowledge was probably the biggest selling point for Diaco coming to UNL. People want to work for a guy like MR. He can attract some very good assistants if he needs to, and that is an asset that should not be underestimated.

MR will not have any returning All-Big Ten players to work with next year. He will be breaking in a new QB, a new DC and a new Defensive scheme. Under those circumstances, if MR can win the West next year, everyone should become comfortable with him in control.

I have a feeling the culture of the UNL football program is about to make a significant change this season. I'm betting that in 2017, Nebraska will be the meanest team in the West...maybe not the most talented, but the fiercest.

Last edited:
It's bizarre to me the some fans seem to want the rumor that Riley isn't calling the shots to be true. It just doesn't make sense. If Riley is eating crayons while SE and BD run the team, then Nebraska has zero chance to be successful under Riley. Zero. The very last thing Nebraska needs is another coaching transition.

Last edited:
MR will not have any returning All-Big Ten players to work with next year. He will be breaking in a new QB, a new DC and a new Defensive scheme. Under those circumstances, if MR can win the West next year, everyone should become comfortable with him in control.

That's quite the standard you've built for him to "prove" his relevance to this program... new QB, new DC and scheme and yet if he doesn't win the west you won't be comfortable with him? Wow... tough crowd.

That's quite the standard you've built for him to "prove" his relevance to this program... new QB, new DC and scheme and yet if he doesn't win the west you won't be comfortable with him? Wow... tough crowd.

Stop being ridiculous, OK? I am not setting any standards for MR to prove himself.

If MR can win the West this year given the hand he's been dealt, it would be a great achievement...enough of an achievement that everyone would probably be on board with him. Anything less and he will probably still be working on gaining full acceptance from Husker Nation as the program's leader...but it would not mean he failed.

My guess is that UNL will be picked to finish 3rd in the West this year. This is like a a rebuilding/transition year for UNL. Lots of question marks, unknowns, and no obvious All-B1G players on our roster. If we can win the West in 2017, MR would be a top candidate for B1G coach of the year and Husker nation would be happy. Another 3rd place finish would be OK, but the jury would still be out on MR. CY 2017 would be a great time for MR to shock the world...to achieve the unexpected.

I hope we can win the West this year. It would be nice for everyone to have a positive outlook toward our HC & program for a change.

Last edited:
Stop being ridiculous, OK? I am not setting any standards for MR to prove himself.

If MR can win the West this year given the hand he's been dealt, it would be a great achievement...enough of an achievement that everyone would probably be on board with him. Anything less and he will probably still be working on gaining full acceptance from Husker Nation as the program's leader...but it would not mean he failed.

My guess is that UNL will be picked to finish 3rd in the West this year. This is like a a rebuilding/transition year for UNL. Lots of question marks, unknowns, and no obvious All-B1G players on our roster. If we can win the West in 2017, MR would be a top candidate for B1G coach of the year and Husker nation would be happy. Another 3rd place finish would be OK, but the jury would still be out on MR. CY 2017 would be a great time for MR to shock the world...to achieve the unexpected.

I hope we can win the West this year. It would be nice for everyone to have a positive outlook toward our HC & program for a change.

You and I do not always agree so for the record I did not read your quote the way Cyberbach did either. I do not believe you were saying he had to win the west. What you said is if he does considering all of the obstacles he had this year. Everyone should shut up. It was not a standard but rather a stretch goal. Correct?

You and I do not always agree so for the record I did not read your quote the way Cyberbach did either. I do not believe you were saying he had to win the west. What you said is if he does considering all of the obstacles he had this year. Everyone should shut up. It was not a standard but rather a stretch goal. Correct?

You are correct. I said that if UNL wins the West this year, EVERYONE will be on board with MR (not just the ones who already believe). The key word is "everyone" and Cyberbach must have missed that.

Tom Herman was not expected to have a 13-1 season in his first year as a HC. In his first 2 years he thoroughly beat the likes of Florida State, Oklahoma and Louisville with a 3* roster.

With great coaching, the unexpected can be achieved. Tom Herman had great assistant coaches...the highest paid Go5 coaching staff in the nation. He said that was the primary reason his Houston teams were so good. MR has done significant rebuilding of his coaching staff, and it possible that UNL could pull a Houston-like surprise this year...achieve way more than most people expect because of better coaching.

Last edited:

Eichorst may have suggested changes, but I doubt he forced them. His ass is on the line on this deal. If Riley fails, Eichorst shouldn't be the one to can him. It was a HUGE roll of the dice to begin with, a very risky, out of left field hire. If Riley can't win, Eichorst shouldn't be the one hiring another football coach. Have to see moving forward. Hard to fire a 70% coach and replace him with a 50% coach.

#1 way you know your posts are full of crap? Paramus agrees with you.

I hear you HIO. But the Director of UNL football operations (Mr. DVD) said that coach Riley is the most competitive person he has ever been around. MR is making swift staff upgrades and I am sure he will quickly make some more if necessary. And he won't promote from within as much as he will bring in outsiders who are the best available. MR only knew Diaco for a few days before he hired him, yes?

And who would be better at putting new coaches together on the same page than a guy with a personality like MR? You won't find many. MR's personality, reputation, and knowledge was probably the biggest selling point for Diaco coming to UNL. People want to work for a guy like MR. He can attract some very good assistants if he needs to, and that is an asset that should not be underestimated.

I have a feeling the culture of the UNL football program is about to make a significant change this season. I'm betting that in 2017, Nebraska will be the meanest team in the West...maybe not the most talented, but the fiercest.

BTW, who else on here sees the first line of a Paramus post and just says Texas it, I'm tired of reading this verbose crap?

Last edited:

You are correct. I said that if UNL wins the West this year, EVERYONE will be on board with MR (not just the ones who already believe). The key word is "everyone" and Cyberbach must have missed that.

Tom Herman was not expected to have a 13-1 season in his first year as a HC. In his first 2 years he thoroughly beat the likes of Florida State, Oklahoma and Louisville with a 3* roster.

With great coaching, the unexpected can be achieved. Tom Herman had great assistant coaches...the highest paid Go5 coaching staff in the nation. He said that was the primary reason his Houston teams were so good. MR has done significant rebuilding of his coaching staff, and it possible that UNL could pull a Houston-like surprise this year...achieve way more than most people expect because of better coaching.

I read the "everyone", the problem I was referencing was if by chance MR is unable to win the west what was "everyone" supposed to feel... opposite of comfortable as you implied? You said "Under those circumstances, if MR can win the West next year, everyone should become comfortable with him in control."
Heck, if MR wins the West next year Husker Nation will be doing backflips and I'm sure we'll be a lot more than just comfortable.... I just don't like to be generalized as a fan base with a predisposition to be upset unless certain standards are met. MR has been doing everything right since he was hired and deserves our continued support. I really hope he does win the west this next year but as long as he keeps the team fighting hard, staying focused and playing hard I can't be uncomfortable with him in control. Perhaps we just see things differently. GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back