• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley’s Reflections on Nebraska

I have something in common with Bill, apparently. I've recently started to wear my dad's Huskers Starter jacket from the late 90s. It was given to me by my mother after he died a couple years ago, and I liked the look of it, then and now. But you wouldn't believe how many Husker fans feel the need to comment about it being an old coat. Sometimes it's meant as a compliment, sometimes ... I'm not sure? Regardless, I can't get over the fact that anyone else cares. It's warm. It's in pristine condition. When did Americans (adults!) become so shallow?

You obviously haven't lived in Paisley, OR or worked in Lakeview, OR. Definitely NOT heaven on earth.
I've never been to Oregon, but it's a big state ... kind of like Nebraska, except with mountains, salmon, and steelhead. Sight unseen, I'm pretty sure that I could find a nice spot to live somewhere between Bend and Corvalis.

I've never been to Oregon, but it's a big state ... kind of like Nebraska, except with mountains, salmon, and steelhead. Sight unseen, I'm pretty sure that I could find a nice spot to live somewhere between Bend and Corvalis.

I actually live on the Idaho/Oregon boarder. The national media likes to portray Oregon as one big forest. Only about 20% of Oregon is forest. Basically from about the coast to about 75 miles inland. SE Oregon is basically uninhabitable. Driving across the middle of Oregon on highway 20 is worst than driving across Nebraska. From Vale, Oregon to Burns is about 110 miles of maybe 2 towns of about 100 people each. From Burns to Bend is a worse and it is about 100 miles. Oh and Eugene is not some Nike paradise it is a dirty logging town.

I have something in common with Bill, apparently. I've recently started to wear my dad's Huskers Starter jacket from the late 90s. It was given to me by my mother after he died a couple years ago, and I liked the look of it, then and now. But you wouldn't believe how many Husker fans feel the need to comment about it being an old coat. Sometimes it's meant as a compliment, sometimes ... I'm not sure? Regardless, I can't get over the fact that anyone else cares. It's warm. It's in pristine condition. When did Americans (adults!) become so shallow?

Yeah, I have two of those jackets myself. One is a "Blackshirts" jacket that was my Dad's favorite. He passed away from a brain tumor in '98 and I've always said never in a million years would he have imagined what transpired with his beloved Huskers. He used to keep scrapbooks of all the news clippings and scouting info for each year going back to the 70's. I've never been able to part with them.

Last edited:

I actually live on the Idaho/Oregon boarder. The national media likes to portray Oregon as one big forest. Only about 20% of Oregon is forest. Basically from about the coast to about 75 miles inland. SE Oregon is basically uninhabitable. Driving across the middle of Oregon on highway 20 is worst than driving across Nebraska. From Vale, Oregon to Burns is about 110 miles of maybe 2 towns of about 100 people each. From Burns to Bend is a worse and it is about 100 miles. Oh and Eugene is not some Nike paradise it is a dirty logging town.
Would you agree with the location I mentioned? I know that things aren't cheap around Bend, but I wouldn't mind living somewhere in the area between Bend and Corvalis, or as close to the coast as possible.

This is the point where I can use some first hand knowledge. In 2003-04 I was living in CA still. I was talking to some parents whose youger son had played with my son all through Pop Warner and his freshman year of high school. There older son was at that time a senior at Wisky. When it was announced we were getting Cosgrove I said to him. Hey looks like we just stole your son's coach. He looked at me and said, "your team just got worse as a result." This was not sour grapes. Their son was a starter. His opinion which was backed up by his son, was that Cosgrove was not a great DC. Basically they said he could not spot trends and that often put them out of position.
Our team got worse the day Solich was fired, and even worse the day Callahan was hired.

I'm not claiming that Cosgrove was a defensive genius, and one anecdote doesn't change the reality that the defense was better than the offense. Here are the Big 12 conference rankings.

Scoring offense: 7th (25ppg)
Total offense: 8th

Scoring defense: 10th (27.09ppg)
Total defense: 8th

Scoring offense: 8th (24.67 ppg)
Total offense: 11th

Scoring defense: 4th (21 ppg)
Total defense: 4th

Scoring offense: 4th (30.57 ppg)
Total offense: 3rd

Scoring defense: 2nd (18.29 ppg)
Total defense: 5th

Scoring offense: 8th (33.42)
Total offense: 5th

Scoring defense: 12th (37.92)
Total defense: 12th

Pay close attention to 2005 & 2006 (as I pointed out in the post you responded to). 4th best scoring defense in the conference in 2005 (good for 25th nationally). 2nd best scoring defense in the conference in 2006 (good for 24th nationally).

The wheels clearly came off in 2007 defensively, but the offense wasn't lighting up the conference either (8th in scoring offense).

Cosgrove was A problem, but he was not THE problem.

As far as the offense goes, most people consider the 2009 offense to be one of the more pathetic offenses in recent memory. Believe it or not, that unit outscored both the 2004 and 2005 offenses.

Would you agree with the location I mentioned? I know that things aren't cheap around Bend, but I wouldn't mind living somewhere in the area between Bend and Corvallis, or as close to the coast as possible.

Corvallis is about 30 miles from the coast just off of I-5. I would probably live in Bend, but it is a good 100 miles and about a 2.5 hour drive to the coast from Bend. The Oregon Coast is beautiful and a great weekend, I am not sure I would want to live there.

My wife is from Portland. Have relatives (wife's) who live in the gorge in Stevenson.

Also have some relatives (wife's) who have relocated to Colorado. They were "lifer's" who had never lived anywhere else besides the Portland/Stevenson area. Shortly after getting here (Colorado) and you can't wipe the smiles off their faces.

Many of them are actually pissed that they stayed in Oregon as long as they did....lol.

I love it there though.....to visit.

Our team got worse the day Solich was fired, and even worse the day Callahan was hired.

I'm not claiming that Cosgrove was a defensive genius, and one anecdote doesn't change the reality that the defense was better than the offense. Here are the Big 12 conference rankings.

Pay close attention to 2005 & 2006 (as I pointed out in the post you responded to). 4th best scoring defense in the conference in 2005 (good for 25th nationally). 2nd best scoring defense in the conference in 2006 (good for 24th nationally).

The wheels clearly came off in 2007 defensively, but the offense wasn't lighting up the conference either (8th in scoring offense).

As far as the offense goes, most people consider the 2009 offense to be one of the more pathetic offenses in recent memory. Believe it or not, that unit outscored both the 2004 and 2005 offenses.
Once again, huskrthill nails it.

Are we talking about the same team?
If we are talking about our top 25 defensive teams in 2005 and 2006, then yeah, we're talking about the same teams. Either Cosgrove did a good job of coaching those losers up, or a group of talented players made our loser DC look good.

Which one is it? You cant have it both ways.

And, boom goes the dynamite...

Cosgrove was a convenient scapegoat for Callahan’s complete and utter incompetence and lack of interest in being a CFB head coach.

His offensive system was absolute garbage from start to finish.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back