• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting: The Alabama Way

One Hit Wonder

Recruit
2 Year Member
A buddy of mine was asked to perform a review and provide an analysis of Alabama’s recruiting and roster management for recruiting classes of 2005 to 2018. I think the organization that asked him to perform the analysis and report was planning to write a “feel good story” [Sarcasm]. He provided me some of the information since 2013. I didn’t include everything because it includes FOIA info. It is amazing to say the least.

2013 (26 signees)
- No player from this class will be listed on the 2018 roster (expected)
- 7 transferred to another school
- 5 exhausted eligibility and went to the NFL
- 5 exhausted their eligibility (no NFL)
- 4 left early for the NFL
- 2 medical hardships
- 2 dismissed for disciplinary matters (one originally committed to Nebraska)
- 1 attempted to grad transfer to Georgia - Saban blocked it

2014 (26 signees)
- 7 expected to be listed on 2018 roster
- 11 exhausted their eligibility (includes 2 JUCOs) (a few went to the NFL)
- 3 left early for the NFL (2017 draft)
- 2 transferred to another school
- 1 leaving early for the NFL (2018 draft)
- 1 dismissed due to disciplinary matters – went JUCO and then NFL
- 1 never signed due to academics

2015 (25 signees)
- 12 expected to be listed on 2018 roster
- 4 leaving early for the NFL (2018 draft)
- 7 transferred or transferring to another school
- 1 dismissed due to disciplinary matters – arrested

2016 (24 signees)
- 18 expected to be listed on 2018 roster
- 4 transferred or transferring to another school
- 1 JUCO exhausted eligibility

2017 (29 signees)
- All 29 expected to be listed on 2018 roster

Current Status
Their current “inventory” of scholarship players stands at 83 which includes 18 commits for the 2018 class. In theory, they can take two more recruits for this class and if they over sign it will be interesting to see how the roster is managed. Alabama also keeps roughly 35 walk-ons listed on the roster every year for a total of 120 players.

EDIT: Of the 30 players during the period that were dismissed, had a medical hardship or transferred to another school - 7 were 3-stars; 22 were 4-stars; and one 5 star.

Last edited:
104 in 4 years. Definitely makes it easier to succeed. 19 free schollies! Not only do you keep those 19 kids from signing with your competitor, when they transfer you can still control where they CAN'T go

Kinda blows out of the water the narative that they just move non-productive guys to a medical scholarship. 2 in 5 years? Hell, I bet NU probably had at least a couple.

The 104 in 4 years...seems like a lot but 11 have left early for the NFL. That's a lot.

Nothing shady in the info that was posted. This idea that Bama cheats the system is mostly just envy.

Kinda blows out of the water the narative that they just move non-productive guys to a medical scholarship. 2 in 5 years? Hell, I bet NU probably had at least a couple.

The 104 in 4 years...seems like a lot but 11 have left early for the NFL. That's a lot.

Nothing shady in the info that was posted. This idea that Bama cheats the system is mostly just envy.

I agree that I was expecting to see many more Medical Hardships...but what jumped out instead (and maybe how they promote the roster management) was the number of Transfers...EVERY year. I don't recall us having more than 1 or 2 transfers in a year, except for coaching changes. However, some of these transfers could also be a symptom of their success - kids think they should be playing and they aren't...so they leave.

I think you mean “never enrolled” due to academics.

A couple of years had very high transfers. Also surprised by the lack of medical scholarships. I’ve never had an issue with those. We probably have carried several players every year that maybe could have been medicals.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back