• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Recruiting advantage Ne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookie may get a first hand look at a big storm. I don't wish that stuff on anybody. I hope they are all taking the right precautions.

Bookie may get a first hand look at a big storm. I don't wish that stuff on anybody. I hope they are all taking the right precautions.

I saw they cancelled the football game for tomorrow night and would assume moved everyone to safety. They are on the other side of the Peninsula but not out of harms way by any means.

Hurricane in Tx. Fl. and who knows what additional states. Forest fires in Ca. Montana and smoke effecting many nearby states. Makes our Corn fields look pretty inviting. pass the word.
This post made me laugh, but mainly because it's mostly true. I am being affected from two California fires, and it's really pissing me off, plus, my parents are in a potential show down with this bitch Irma. I gotta tell ya though, all this wild fire smoke, it flippin' sucks.

This post made me laugh, but mainly because it's mostly true. I am being affected from two California fires, and it's really pissing me off, plus, my parents are in a potential show down with this bitch Irma. I gotta tell ya though, all this wild fire smoke, it flippin' sucks.

Chicago has been getting the Canadian fire smoke. I'm telling ya its a big Cornfield advantage.

convenient you forgot your tornadoes.....
Tornadoes can happen ANYWHERE. As a matter of fact many Hurricanes will also have tornadoes as a component of the overall storm. Does Nebraska overall get more tornadoes, yes. In my lifetime though I believe that Omaha or lincoln has only had one major tornado. (By major I am talking about severe damage affecting a good portion of the city.) That was in 1975. There was a tornado in lincoln this summer. However no lives lost and only minimal damage to infrastructure. The winds were 90 miles an hour for a few minutes. The current Hurricane has 150+ miles per hour winds that will hit the state of florida probably for the better part of 8 hours. Add in the storm surge and sustained rain that will lead to flooding and no tornadoes will ever come close to the damage of a cat 3+ Hurricane.

So lets look at the west coast. Where there are severe fires doing millions of dollars of damage every couple years. Also if they happen to get rain soon after the fires. it often leads to mud slides. Not to mention the major earthquakes that also happen every couple years.

Lincoln in comparison is relatively safe. I lived through a nearby Tornado growing up in NP. I also lived through a typhoon multiple times on Okinawa. Where I saw a 10-15 pound rock get thrown through a second story barracks window. (Luckily they had us line up our wall lockers as close to the windows as we could) I also was 10 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake. I will take the risk of a tornado any day over the alternatives.

Tornadoes can happen ANYWHERE. As a matter of fact many Hurricanes will also have tornadoes as a component of the overall storm. Does Nebraska overall get more tornadoes, yes. In my lifetime though I believe that Omaha or lincoln has only had one major tornado. (By major I am talking about severe damage affecting a good portion of the city.) That was in 1975. There was a tornado in lincoln this summer. However no lives lost and only minimal damage to infrastructure. The winds were 90 miles an hour for a few minutes. The current Hurricane has 150+ miles per hour winds that will hit the state of florida probably for the better part of 8 hours. Add in the storm surge and sustained rain that will lead to flooding and no tornadoes will ever come close to the damage of a cat 3+ Hurricane.

So lets look at the west coast. Where there are severe fires doing millions of dollars of damage every couple years. Also if they happen to get rain soon after the fires. it often leads to mud slides. Not to mention the major earthquakes that also happen every couple years.

Lincoln in comparison is relatively safe. I lived through a nearby Tornado growing up in NP. I also lived through a typhoon multiple times on Okinawa. Where I saw a 10-15 pound rock get thrown through a second story barracks window. (Luckily they had us line up our wall lockers as close to the windows as we could) I also was 10 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake. I will take the risk of a tornado any day over the alternatives.

Rationalization. I have been in California since 1990 and have never had any issues with fires or earthquakes. So, from my experience, California is "relatively" safe and the midwest is a death trap every spring.

Rationalization. I have been in California since 1990 and have never had any issues with fires or earthquakes. So, from my experience, California is "relatively" safe and the midwest is a death trap every spring.
Do not know where you are in Cali but in my ~ 20 years there I was in 4 earthquakes and saw wildfires less than a mile from me on at least three occasions. Looking at the chosen photo above your name. Maybe you were just too baked to notice.

Now that's what I call making your point!

Last edited:

Do not know where you are in Cali but in my ~ 20 years there I was in 4 earthquakes and saw wildfires less than a mile from me on at least three occasions. Looking at the chosen photo above your name. Maybe you were just too baked to notice.
That was totally dependent upon where you lived. In the last 35 years I can honestly remember only one earthquake; my first one. Nothing since has even come close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back