• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rearview mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Wiggler

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
IMO the thrashings OU took this year, the year Texas had, the seasons Florida St, FLorida, Ohio St, Notre Dame and A&M had, all put a little perspective on the job Bo did this year and the Husker season. Even Okie St with the incredible year they are having, lost to ISU. Bo has taken a thrashing on this board (including by me,) but looking at the season in the rear-view mirror now, it doesn't seem so bad, and in fact may have been a pretty darn good job by Bo. Throw in a new offense, four new assistant coaches (and the turmoil his brother created,) the new league, the injuries to Crick and Dennard, etc., Bo certainly had his share of challenges. Whether we like it or not, and blame it on Bo or not, we have not recruited as well (star-wise) as OU, OSU, TX, FL, etc., but NU had as good or better season than all those teams.

For great seasons, lots of things need to line up. Key injuries, the right schedule, a lucky bounce here or there and new players stepping up all play into it. What would Wisconsin's record have been this year without Wilson? What would NU's season have looked like if they played Wisconsin without Wilson, or if Crick and Dennard had been healthy all season and one of the new CB's had stepped up early in the season? If reliable Rex doesn't fumble on the goal line do we lose to Northwestern? Even the Michigan game could have turned out differently except for the phantom roughing the kicker penalty. There's just a ton of variables in games greatly influenced by emotional swings. Ohio States dominance the last 10 years lined up with a downturn at Michigan. Heck, NU's dominance in the 90's was certainly helped by a big OU crash during the same period. If Michigan had been Michigan or OU had been OU, those glory years don't look quite the same.

And to top it off, college football seems to be so much more emotion than NFL football, that facing any hyped up team when your team is flat can mean trouble i.e. ISU beating OSU, Purdue beating OSU. LSU and Alabama have minimized the variables by over signing in an already talent rich recruiting area, but it doesn't seem like the teams that basically play by the same recruiting rules can automatically expect to play for a conference championship every year.

With the year behind us and a little perspective, I am give Bo an A- for the year.

I would have to agree with you as I too have been hard on Bo and others. I would have to grade him a little lower, say a solid Bonly for the lack of experience to key backups.

Thank you RW, for putting things into perspective. I also give Bo high marks for the year we've had. 11 new opponents, new conference. It all turned out well.

Last edited:

IMO the thrashings OU took this year, the year Texas had, the seasons Florida St, FLorida, Ohio St, Notre Dame and A&M had, all put a little perspective on the job Bo did this year and the Husker season. Even Okie St with the incredible year they are having, lost to ISU. Bo has taken a thrashing on this board (including by me,) but looking at the season in the rear-view mirror now, it doesn't seem so bad, and in fact may have been a pretty darn good job by Bo. Throw in a new offense, four new assistant coaches (and the turmoil his brother created,) the new league, the injuries to Crick and Dennard, etc., Bo certainly had his share of challenges. Whether we like it or not, and blame it on Bo or not, we have not recruited as well (star-wise) as OU, OSU, TX, FL, etc., but NU had as good or better season than all those teams.

For great seasons, lots of things need to line up. Key injuries, the right schedule, a lucky bounce here or there and new players stepping up all play into it. What would Wisconsin's record have been this year without Wilson? What would NU's season have looked like if they played Wisconsin without Wilson, or if Crick and Dennard had been healthy all season and one of the new CB's had stepped up early in the season? If reliable Rex doesn't fumble on the goal line do we lose to Northwestern? Even the Michigan game could have turned out differently except for the phantom roughing the kicker penalty. There's just a ton of variables in games greatly influenced by emotional swings. Ohio States dominance the last 10 years lined up with a downturn at Michigan. Heck, NU's dominance in the 90's was certainly helped by a big OU crash during the same period. If Michigan had been Michigan or OU had been OU, those glory years don't look quite the same.

And to top it off, college football seems to be so much more emotion than NFL football, that facing any hyped up team when your team is flat can mean trouble i.e. ISU beating OSU, Purdue beating OSU. LSU and Alabama have minimized the variables by over signing in an already talent rich recruiting area, but it doesn't seem like the teams that basically play by the same recruiting rules can automatically expect to play for a conference championship every year.

With the year behind us and a little perspective, I am give Bo an A- for the year.

Thanks Red Wiggler for the insightful post.

I'd say A-/B+.

I would give Bo between a B and a B-.

I hope you all find that insight valuable.

B- or C. Those blow out losses still don't sit well with me. Sorry.

I get that, and blow-outs (and substitutions) have been my beef also. But again, looking back, OU, FL, TX, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, USC, Georgia, all pretty big programs, all had blow-out losses. And would Wisc have been a blow-out loss if Wilson didn't show up for the Badgers or if Beck had called the last half of the 2nd quarter differently? Would MI have been a blow out loss if that roughing the Kicker hadn't got called? Maybe, maybe not. Emotion, momentum, bad match-up, the wrong guy hurt, etc., can all make a good team look bad in a hurry, and I see some pretty good coaches that get swamped from time to time.

I got caught up in the pre-season hype. But IMO this season looks a lot different if Dennard and Crick had been healthy all season, and another CB (and maybe a nickle) had stepped up early. I really believe that if those things had happened, we would have been playing yesterday and could have been undefeated heading into that game. I think there were plenty of areas Bo could have improved (and will going forward,) but the line between what "could have been" and "what was", isn't that great and to some extent uncontrollable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back