1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Randy Gregory Article - Struggles with Addiction

Discussion in 'Football' started by HuskerInTexas, Dec 4, 2018.

1. HuskerInTexas

HuskerInTexas Red Shirt 2 Year Member

This was a phenomenal article I read diving into the challenges Gregory has dealt with growing up and going through his NFL experience. It's been easy to mock him and challenge his "willingness" to remain sober but I highly recommend reading this to understand him and his situation better

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/25426510/dallas-cowboys-randy-gregory-talks-being-real-bad-place

2. joncarl

joncarl Nobody important 10 Year Member

For what it is worth I posted this earlier on the other teams forums, so if someone wants to merge that is fine with me.

alabamahusker and HuskerInTexas like this.
  3. tonybigguy

tonybigguy Red Shirt Lifetime Member

Great article. The struggle is real. I hope RG makes it.

AzHusker, alabamahusker and ColoREDo like this.
  4. Huskerthom

Huskerthom Blackshirt 2 Year Member

I hope the young man finds peace. It also shows that just like with any other substance. Marijuana can be addictive. I also will say that I do believe it has medical applications. However unfettered usage can lead to a person developing a need. He was using it to self medicate.

5. Red October

Red October Junior Varsity 5 Year Member

Indeed but most on this board would disagree.

alabamahusker likes this.
  6. CrabHusker

CrabHusker Starter 5 Year Member

I hope he's finally put it all together and can stay there. Good luck RG.

alabamahusker likes this.
  7. KornBob

KornBob Recruit 2 Year Member

Great read. I have to admit that I wrote the kid off. Hope he proves me wrong.

CrabHusker and Rainbow Dash like this.
  8. Californication

Californication Travel Squad 10 Year Member

Anything can be addictive. What most disagree with that I've seen is the reefer madness hysteria from some posters.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  9. anotherdumbprediction

anotherdumbprediction Recruit

I don’t know about the substance being addictive, but you can get addicted to feeling better taking it over feeling crappy if you don’t.

Bman, RedPhoenix and 36Blast like this.
  10. Red October

Red October Junior Varsity 5 Year Member

What I have seen is the proponents of weed will stand for no one to be critical of their habit.

11. 36Blast

36Blast Slow Blinker

I read his life story and his matches mine (except me not being an NFL calibre player lol) almost to a T. No, I was never addicted to street drugs, but I craved the booze. And did I want to die? Absolutely. I was lucky enough to supplement my pain with hours and hours of coaching and film study. My sons also breathed new life into my lungs. I was lucky to be saved. I truly hope RG finds peace in his heart and mind. It's easy to trash guys like him....but there are so many like him....your friends, co-workers, family, etc. You never know what someone is dealing with.

12. WestTexasHusker

WestTexasHusker Travel Squad 5 Year Member

My nephew told me one time that “whoever says pot isn’t addictive, they are lying”. He died of a drug overdose about 6 months later. 23 years old, soon to graduate Texas Arlington.

He told me pot per se wasn’t addictive, but getting high - and higher - certainly was.

13. 36Blast

36Blast Slow Blinker

My condolences

14. Morgan Steele

Morgan Steele Recruit 5 Year Member

Go, Randy, Go! Once a Husker, always a Husker! I hope his story has a storybook ending!

AzHusker likes this.
  15. anotherdumbprediction

anotherdumbprediction Recruit

I’m glad I read this. Didn’t know what he was dealing with. Also didn’t know his background. Wish I had a dollar for every post/comment I read of the “you can’t fix stupid” variety I read every time he was suspended. Ah, it must be fun going through life clueless.