• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rahmir Johnson - some good news on the RB front

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy he’s ours, and I think it’s a definite upgrade. But there’s a difference between the speed that we’re getting, and type of elite speed that Frost had played with before at Oregon.

Here’s an example of what I would consider elite speed. Current national leader in the 100, 200, and 400 at 10.52, 21.07, and 46.53 respectfully. I think we’ll start getting these players soon, and man is it going to be fun to watch.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10239478/Tyrese-Cooper

Maybe a bit of a tangent/off topic, but anyone know how fast Frazier was? I was re-watching the Fiesta bowl for the millionth time and always enjoy the individual performances. One thing that stands out more and more from those days are the multitude of plays where no defender is busting the play before it develops, allowing the offensive players to look faster. Not having to side step in your own backfield, getting met at the line of scrimmage or improvising and picking a different hole made those guys all look fast. I know we zone blocked back then, but there's a certain hesitation or decision making that seems to have slowed things down over the years.

Frost is obviously working on that; and yes, this is more of an Oline post.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy he’s ours, and I think it’s a definite upgrade. But there’s a difference between the speed that we’re getting, and type of elite speed that Frost had played with before at Oregon.

Here’s an example of what I would consider elite speed. Current national leader in the 100, 200, and 400 at 10.52, 21.07, and 46.53 respectfully. I think we’ll start getting these players soon, and man is it going to be fun to watch.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10239478/Tyrese-Cooper
Add the speed to the incredible play design in this offense that gets the matchups they like and the scoreboard will light up quickly.

Unfortunately, I think the MW revelations cost the team 1-2 wins this year. The program simply isn’t to a point where such a loss can be handled without pain, yet.

Unfortunately, I think the MW revelations cost the team 1-2 wins this year. The program simply isn’t to a point where such a loss can be handled without pain, yet.

I wouldn't assume he's gone just yet. His behavior may have been bad or even egregious, depending on one's beliefs, but if he is able to avoid the felony charge and gets probation I think he'll play.

Has anyone heard if MW has already turned himself in? The quicker he gets arrested, the quicker legal activities get started and concluded. I'm thinking if he waits until the semester is over, this year is probably lost.

Last edited:
Ziggy definitely got a step faster it seemed this past year, but that was really surprising. Name another Husker RB you can honestly say got noticeably faster over their career. It's really hard to do.

You can't teach speed but you CAN teach faster reaction times, field vision and how to follow your blockers.

Rex Burkhead wasn't the fastest RB, but he just won a Super Bowl. He's a case study in doing the fundamentals RIGHT and reaping the rewards.

You can't teach speed but you CAN teach faster reaction times, field vision and how to follow your blockers.

Rex Burkhead wasn't the fastest RB, but he just won a Super Bowl. He's a case study in doing the fundamentals RIGHT and reaping the rewards.

Totally agree, the only real “elite speed” guys at Oregon when comparing actual times, were deanthony Thomas, Marcus Mariota, and the Olympic hurdler. Their system taught all of the above and takes advantage of getting the ball while
On the move. Outside of those three guys, none of the Oregon speed has ever done much at the combine or even NFL level, the system takes good athletes and gets them the ball while already in stride thus moving faster than traditional pro sets etc.

100% agree. Rex wasn't super fast but was a physical runner who found where he needed to be. Call it vision or instinct, he had/has it and that's why he's playing in the league. He has all the intagibles and that's what makes him so great. I know Frost will find those guys, that's who he is at his core imo.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back