• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question for ***

So it sounds to me like you're now listing "lying" as one of the items in the top 50 of things needing to be corrected before pass rushing. Am I correct on that? :)

tenor.gif

Not disagreeing with anybody. Just asking a question. I believe Frost and his people are high character guys who would not lie. From what this thread is saying. It possible that they may have exaggerated quite a bit. Here’s the question. Why would they do that? Were they trying to motivate players? Attract players? Create an image? Fire up the fans? Justify their S&C program? Would any of that be worth neglecting their high integrity reputation?

Not disagreeing with anybody. Just asking a question. I believe Frost and his people are high character guys who would not lie. From what this thread is saying. It possible that they may have exaggerated quite a bit. Here’s the question. Why would they do that? Were they trying to motivate players? Attract players? Create an image? Fire up the fans? Justify their S&C program? Would any of that be worth neglecting their high integrity reputation?
It’s just not an apples to oranges comparison...

Our players ARE heavier than the previous year-Fact
The fact is it’s not all muscle

The players are squatting 700lbs, etc-Fact
They may be doing 3/4 squats, compared to full squats of the past, where it’s just simply not a comparison.

It’s just not an apples to oranges comparison...

Our players ARE heavier than the previous year-Fact
The fact is it’s not all muscle

The players are squatting 700lbs, etc-Fact
They may be doing 3/4 squats, compared to full squats of the past, where it’s just simply not a comparison.
I have never been in a weight room. Spare me the technical details. What is being suggested is that they are reporting something that is disingenuous. A lie. A stretch and twist of the truth. I cannot dispute that. I just want to understand how to assess their improvements in some measurable/comparable way. And I want to know if I can trust them when they report numbers.

I don't think anything is going to jeopardize their integrity or reputation. Here's the few reasons why it happened tho...

1) Create a lower bar for expectations
Let's not be naive and think the coaches didn't hear people claiming 10 wins. They knew they had a really tough turn around on their hands. How do we do that? Start by telling people how bad things were when they got here. "We weren't even squatting" allowed fans to see just how bad things were, and while I won't use the word "lie", there were videos out there showing we did squat, so we know that's not truthful. But that started some more of the balls rolling of "maybe we have a bigger mountain to climb than we thought."

2) Let people know the pieces are in place
With the previous regime, our strength coach would be told who needed to sit out of weights. Our administration would tell our coaches and strength staff to cut back the workouts and/or even what workouts to do. Fast forward and we put two kids in the hospital after their first attempt going thru the circuit. At Oregon when this happened, the strength coach was suspended for 3 months. But this was another opportunity for the administration to state they were completely on board. This was another chance for our staff to also state just how far away we were. Instead of holding someone making 400k responsible for what happened, the narrative was "we even scaled things back." I cringed when I heard that.

3) Psychological advantage
Now I do know of the one example I keep quoting of media guide weights being pretty off to the actual scale. But again, that doesn't matter at all. Every team in the nation does that. Bored media members writing articles about it makes me roll my eyes. But us telling the kids they are putting on certain amounts of weight, or squatting a certain amount is a way for us to get them mentally prepared for who they are going across from on Saturdays. Do you remember when the Texas guy squatted on his own a high weight, and everyone in Husker land was upset that our guy who squatted more wasn't getting the attention? Again, it was marketing to our local fans. There's a reason ESPN and others didn't give it much traction while they gave the other one a lot of run. And this higher weight "by any means necessary" with bad form, multiple spotters, and minimal ROM came at a price this year with tons of soft-tissue injuries and stunting development with season-ending issues to many of our 2018 recruiting class. The good news is we started incorporating many things that are generally thought of to help reduce the issues we had in 2019. How that works with the core principles we are putting in place for our program will remain to be seen.

All of this is a moot point if we have zero injuries in 2019 like they claim they did year 2 at UCF. I know that's what we are working towards.

I have never been in a weight room. Spare me the technical details. What is being suggested is that they are reporting something that is disingenuous. A lie. A stretch and twist of the truth. I cannot dispute that. I just want to understand how to assess their improvements in some measurable/comparable way. And I want to know if I can trust them when they report numbers.
We are making unbelievable strides. Better than I have seen in about 10 years. Cut down the injuries we had in 2018, and look out.

Perhaps it's a little bit of everything but it's an ego stroke mostly for the fans.

When I played some guys took pride in the #s but most didn't care. We weighed in for our official program weight after our 5 to 6 hour medical which was before we could get cleared for summer S&C and at that point we were ready to get the hell out of there. Then summer S&C changed a lot of guys (mostly burning off fat) so their #s were way off from the official.

We are making unbelievable strides. Better than I have seen in about 10 years. Cut down the injuries we had in 2018, and look out.
I am sorry. I really thought I had a simple question which you answered long ago. All the rest of this is just silliness. @Red Reign if you want to lock this thread feel free. My question was answered long ago. The rest is silly.

I am sorry. I really thought I had a simple question which you answered long ago. All the rest of this is just silliness. @Red Reign if you want to lock this thread feel free. My question was answered long ago. The rest is silly.
Lol you poked the bear unfortunately. The good news is we are in great hands right now. We just need to iron some things out with the injuries.

I don't think anything is going to jeopardize their integrity or reputation. Here's the few reasons why it happened tho...

1) Create a lower bar for expectations
Let's not be naive and think the coaches didn't hear people claiming 10 wins. They knew they had a really tough turn around on their hands. How do we do that? Start by telling people how bad things were when they got here. "We weren't even squatting" allowed fans to see just how bad things were, and while I won't use the word "lie", there were videos out there showing we did squat, so we know that's not truthful. But that started some more of the balls rolling of "maybe we have a bigger mountain to climb than we thought."

2) Let people know the pieces are in place
With the previous regime, our strength coach would be told who needed to sit out of weights. Our administration would tell our coaches and strength staff to cut back the workouts and/or even what workouts to do. Fast forward and we put two kids in the hospital after their first attempt going thru the circuit. At Oregon when this happened, the strength coach was suspended for 3 months. But this was another opportunity for the administration to state they were completely on board. This was another chance for our staff to also state just how far away we were. Instead of holding someone making 400k responsible for what happened, the narrative was "we even scaled things back." I cringed when I heard that.

3) Psychological advantage
Now I do know of the one example I keep quoting of media guide weights being pretty off to the actual scale. But again, that doesn't matter at all. Every team in the nation does that. Bored media members writing articles about it makes me roll my eyes. But us telling the kids they are putting on certain amounts of weight, or squatting a certain amount is a way for us to get them mentally prepared for who they are going across from on Saturdays. Do you remember when the Texas guy squatted on his own a high weight, and everyone in Husker land was upset that our guy who squatted more wasn't getting the attention? Again, it was marketing to our local fans. There's a reason ESPN and others didn't give it much traction while they gave the other one a lot of run. And this higher weight "by any means necessary" with bad form, multiple spotters, and minimal ROM came at a price this year with tons of soft-tissue injuries and stunting development with season-ending issues to many of our 2018 recruiting class. The good news is we started incorporating many things that are generally thought of to help reduce the issues we had in 2019. How that works with the core principles we are putting in place for our program will remain to be seen.

All of this is a moot point if we have zero injuries in 2019 like they claim they did year 2 at UCF. I know that's what we are working towards.
As long as they have good reasons for the trail of lies, deceit and exaggeration you believe you caught them in, then it's cool, right? As long as there was no collusion. ;)

Last edited:

While your question may have been answered, I don't think all of the resultant posts are silliness. Actually some pretty good stuff in the mix.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back