• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB...forget who is starting: Gebbia taking snaps with #1 team on the field

we're back

Scout Team
5 Year Member
let's assume we are up by 4-5 touchdowns at the end of the third quarter. Who plays in the fourth? Does everybody get a chance to play?

Since whomever our starter turns out to be they aren't going to have experience. I'd leave them well into the 4th quarter to get all the experience they can get..............

let's assume we are up by 4-5 touchdowns at the end of the third quarter. Who plays in the fourth? Does everybody get a chance to play?
When SF played there were other QBs that received playing time. I want to say Bobby Newcome played some. He knows the value of having a QB that is ready to play by giving him in game experience. TO would often have the backup QB come in the 2nd quarter so long as we were up. That way the 2nd string QB was getting live experience against a 1st team D. All of our QBs will play.

I'd say with the daunting schedule ahead, 2nd guy will likely get some time with a big lead in the non-con schedule, but not Bunch, er, I mean 3rd.

Assuming that Gebba gets the start, I'm wondering how much Frost would prefer to redshirt Martinez...realizing that he could play in four games without losing the redshirt.

With the caliber of QB recruits we are attracting and who are committing to us, there is likely not to be a need to redshirt anyone, especially at the expense of winning a few games. Plus, with only 3 QBs who can play and the fact that we run with our QB, there is always a chance at an injury. I doubt there are any redshirts this year.

wb, I get what you are giving. I definitely think the 2nd and third string QBs need to get reps. I do understand that the starting QB needs to build endurance, own the team and yadda yadda yadda. I agree to some extent. However, one of the many issues that has plagued Nebraska over the past decade has been the lack of preparedness in the backup QBs. There are several reasons to get the #2 some significant snaps.

I love to hear guys talk about Nebraska's never gonna have a big lead at the end of the 3rd quarter. That makes it seem silly to even ask about what to do in the 4th quarter with a big lead. They are either too young or have been ran over by the bus we call BillBoMike. Of course the huskers will have their opponent down by several scores, because now they will believe that crushing their opponent is a real thing, and maintaining a slim lead and controlling the game clock is a strategy that only works in the NFL.

Every time Sir Scott gets the chance to talk, he talks about the Nebraska way. He talks about the walk-on program, the strength program, the player development. Getting the lower units some meaningful reps is part of that package, and it will happen, whether the brilliant new age thinkers agree or not. Nebraska will put the pedal to the metal every time they get the chance. When they get a lead they will look at stretching it out so they can get more reps for the next group of guys. Write it down.

I would be so elated to have this situation happening again for our Huskers! (Back in the old days) It used to be most weeks we would have at least the second string playing..and often the 3rd!!..When this happens again, it will be one of the signs of things returning to back where they are supposed to be with HCSF and Co!!! Go Big Red!! 17 days 10 hours.....BRING ON THE SEASON!!!

This coming game should look like spring practice with all the QB s getting reps to determine who starts against CU. But by the time camp is broke, V will have a great idea who he likes, he wont equivicate

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back