• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Battle Update

If you had to predict right now, who will be our starting QB in the fall?

• Tanner Lee

Votes: 91 84.3%
  • Patrick O'Brien

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Tristan Gebbia or Andrew Bunch

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Great article AC! And I totally agree that it's truly exciting to know that we have two legit QBs suited for HCMR's offense!!

I really am looking forward to seeing this next, latest (and hopefully greatest) evolution of the Big Red offense!

And looking forward to the interview with LTCG... perfect timing for Spring Break! GBR!!

Something else to be excited about as a fan is if our starter goes down (whoever that is), we'll have a quality backup. Also, presuming our starter is Lee, in 2 years we'll have another starter ready to go right away. Actually, POB might have to beat out Gebbia at that point. Kind of makes me feel a little sorry for him, but true football players are competitors!

I'm speculating simply based on Tanner's college game experience with Tulane that he will be the starter. What I hope is, that the actual best performing guy gets the nod.

Something else to be excited about as a fan is if our starter goes down (whoever that is), we'll have a quality backup. Also, presuming our starter is Lee, in 2 years we'll have another starter ready to go right away. Actually, POB might have to beat out Gebbia at that point. Kind of makes me feel a little sorry for him, but true football players are competitors!
IF POB does not win the job, he will be gone in my opinion. Gebbia will be redshirting this season and be eligible the year after. Kids dont stick around with those odds these days. Of course Tanner could play hisself out of a job too. I do not believe Riley and Langs will be playing the patience game.

I find this quite interesting as a year ago PO was projected as the second coming and Lee was this washed up slow hack that we picked up as a backup. Now this year Gebbia is the new 2nd coming and PO is going to leave. All the while i read the Gebbia needs to spend 48 hours a day in the weight and training rooms to put on some muscle and weight.

I personally think all 3 of them are great competitors and will strive to be the man. This is a great time for QB's at Ne. that we haven't had in a long time.

IF POB does not win the job, he will be gone in my opinion. Gebbia will be redshirting this season and be eligible the year after. Kids dont stick around with those odds these days. Of course Tanner could play hisself out of a job too. I do not believe Riley and Langs will be playing the patience game.

No way POB is leaving, Gebbia is small and will need at least two full years of training to get to D1 size.

C

I SAID IT WAS MY OPINION.....jeeesshhhhh.

And a valid one, TL stays two years and that is 3 springs and fall camps before TG starts a game(assuming TL plays well and without injury). That is a lot of time to build his 6'3" frame up from 180lbs. Any of the three can be a range from dud to stud and I hope at least one is an All-American.

C

Be careful what you say Adam. You said that POB was our 4th string QB last fall for a reason....

"Patrick O'Brien's improvement from a year ago is very noticeable. A year ago during spring ball, he was an early enrollee, true freshman. He was a guy who could have been getting ready for prom, alright, and it showed a little bit. He wasn't ready, some people didn't like that he redshirted last year, he was not ready. He got beat out by Ryker Fyfe, he was fourth-string for a reason and he needed that year to grow and develop. His improvement is very noticeable and he has made this a legit quarterback battle."

I said the same thing and Big Red Shrine responded by saying....

"My post was zero faith and all fact. If you want to posit POB as the 4th best QB to begin last year, be my guest. You could not be more wrong. You could try, but you would not be successful.

Your multiple posts designed to devalue our players in multiple threads lead me to believe you are not at all an NU fan or only an NU fan if they have your preferred coach. Sad you have to go after 19-20 year olds to make your point."

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/is-better-qb-play-in-2017-inevitable.94625/page-4

You better brace yourself Adam. Big Red Shrine will probably come after you next. Suhperman, too. Neither of them believe that POB was actually our 4th string QB last fall.

Adam, it is really sad that you have to go after 19-20 year olds to make a point! According to Big Red Shrine, your devaluation of POB may be a sign that are actually not a Big Red fan!

:Lol:

:mr: "You are spot on Adam! POB actually was our 4th string QB last fall. If Big Red Shrine or Suhperman try to dispute that, please let me know. I'll take care of it."

Note: Looks like UNL is going to have a former Go5 QB leading the way this season. I wonder if that will stop HuskerMaxers from showing distain toward Go5 teams and their players. Flowers, the Go5 QB from USF should be a Heisman candidate this year.

Last edited:

I don't think POB would transfer if he doesn't win the job this year. He'll almost certainly play, whether that's from back-up duty or Lee being ineffective or injured. Look at where we ended up last year. Worst case, he backs up Lee this year but gets good experience. Next year they are in a dogfight. If POB doesn't win the job, Gebbia is still putting on weight and learning the system and you'd have to question if he would beat out either Lee or POB his first year anyway. If Gebbia is just that good, then so be it.

But POB probably sets himself up for 2 (maybe 3) years starting while Gebbia and whomever learn the system. We'll have to see where the chips fall, but if I were POB, I'd look at it as a pretty good opportunity no matter what at this point.

GET TICKETS

Back