• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB 40 times

A. Martinez looked fast enough when he needed to be in the UA game. Gebbia looked fast enough in the spring game the few times he ran. O'Brien, he takes awhile to get going from what I can tell. I think a lot of it depends on the first 10 to 20, that's the burst part you need to get out of trouble when needed. The QBs in Frost's offense definitely need to have some ability to run. I will be very surprised if O'Brien ends up being the guy. Taylor Martinez definitely had the quickest burst of anybody I've seen.

A. Martinez looked fast enough when he needed to be in the UA game. Gebbia looked fast enough in the spring game the few times he ran. O'Brien, he takes awhile to get going from what I can tell. I think a lot of it depends on the first 10 to 20, that's the burst part you need to get out of trouble when needed. The QBs in Frost's offense definitely need to have some ability to run. I will be very surprised if O'Brien ends up being the guy. Taylor Martinez definitely had the quickest burst of anybody I've seen.
This is the first legitimate reason I have seen anybody post about why POB may not start. All the rest just say he is a statue. Had not thought about it from that aspect. I will have to go watch some more film now.

Frost expects Duval to have them all running sub 4.3 by Fall camp.

Two phrases I'd be ok with having banned from the board, "speed kills" and "you can't coach/teach speed".

If it was all about winning a foot race Wilbon would start over Burkhead and Abdullah, we'd bring T. Martinez back to play QB, Boaz Joseph would be a 4 year starter at CB and Alfonzo Dennard would never see the field.

Especially when he was chasing the defensive backs who intercepted him;)

I can understand why nobody is talking about Andrew Bunch. He is just a walk on. But I think he is a nice fit for SF's offense. In HS he was considered a dual-threat QB...and he is. He is just a sophomore. He has time to grow into this offense. He could become a high quality back-up. He has good size - 6' 1", 200 lbs.

Looking at film, the thing that both AMart and Andrew Bunch have are very quick feet and lots of mobility. As runners they both have good vision and elusiveness. They can both evade a pass rush, extend plays, and make things happen with their feet. As far as I can see, POB does not have the quick feet/pocket mobility/elusive runner thing going for him as much as our other QBs. That's why I think he finishes 4th on the depth chart. IMO, SF will be looking for the QBs with the best mobility/best feet. It also appears that Gebbia has good mobility. I think those are the top 3 guys.

Yes, Andrew Bunch can run. He's quick and quite fast. I think AMart is a bit quicker and faster (and AMART is a terrific passer), but both guys have skills similar to McKenzie Milton. I think Bunch has the natural ability to effectively run the zone read, the option and do the RPO thing. Not sure how great a passer he is, but he has Verduzco working with him. He seems to have good pocket footwork and balance and a nice throwing motion. He has a quick release. He appears to be quite accurate. Not sure how strong his arm is.

Andrew Bunch has some good vitals:

1, Junior year HS - 63 carries for 501 yards (8 YPC) - 24 TD passes/ 5 interceptions

2. Senior year HS - 73 rushes for 502 years (7 YPC) - 41 TD passes/ 4 interceptions.

3. Senior year he led Independence HS (TN) to the Div 1 Class 5A state championship with a 15-0 record.

4, Made the UNL academic honor roll, spring 2017

His HUDL highlights show why he is considered a dual threat QB. He can run and he can pass.

Last edited:
I can understand why nobody is talking about Andrew Bunch. He is just a walk on. But I think he is a very good fit for SF's offense. In HS he was considered a dual-threat QB...and he is. He is just a sophomore. He has time to grow into this offense. He could become a high quality back-up. He has good size - 6' 1", 200 lbs.

Looking at film, the thing that both AMart and Andrew Bunch have are very quick feet and lots of mobility. As runners they both have good vision and elusiveness. They can both evade a pass rush, extend plays, and make things happen with their feet. As far as I can see, POB does not have the quick feet/pocket mobility/elusive runner thing going for him. That's why I think he finishes 4th on the depth chart. IMO, SF will be looking for the QBs with the best mobility/best feet. It also appears that Gebbia has good mobility. I think those are the top 3 guys.

Yes, Andrew Bunch can run. He's quick and quite fast. I think AMart is a bit quicker and faster (and AMART is a terrific passer), but both guys have skills similar to McKenzie Milton. I think Bunch has the natural ability to effectively run the zone read, the option and do the RPO thing. Not sure how great a passer he is, but he has Verduzco working with him. He seems to have good pocket footwork and balance and a nice throwing motion. He has a quick release. He appears to be quite accurate. Not sure how strong his arm is.

Andrew Bunch has some good vitals:

1, Junior year HS - 63 carries for 501 yards (8 YPC) - 24 TD passes/ 5 interceptions

2. Senior year HS - 73 rushes for 502 years (7 YPC) - 41 TD passes/ 4 interceptions.

3. Senior year he led Independence HS (TN) to the Div 1 Class 5A state championship with a 15-0 record.

4, Made the UNL academic honor roll, spring 2017

His HUDL highlights show why he is considered a dual threat QB. He can run and he can pass.

You answered your own question in the same paragraph, no one is talking about Bunch for all the reasons you mentioned. We don't talk much about guys projected as backup's unless that description specifically includes him as a potential starter.

You answered your own question in the same paragraph, no one is talking about Bunch for all the reasons you mentioned. We don't talk much about guys projected as backup's unless that description specifically includes him as a potential starter.

I said I can understand why nobody is talking about him (duh). It was not a question...it was a statement.

This thread mentions Martinez, Gebbia, and POB. Although we don't have Bunch's 40-yard dash time, he belongs in the conversation. He will be competing for the starting job like everyone else, and he looks like a nice fit for SF's offense.

I have a feeling coaches, media and fans will be talking about Bunch more and more as time goes by. They are not going to switch him to safety. He's a QB...a much needed QB to enhance depth and competition.

Last edited:

my only point was we don't have a QB without some foot speed in the 40. now how that relates to SF offense is another story but at least we have options and last year we seemed to have no options and it showed. We had a QB that supposedly had a gun for an arm but no offense or plan on how to use it. This year we have QB's that all have some speed but let's see how they fit in the new system.

I said I can understand why nobody I talking about him (duh). It was not a question...it was a statement.

This thread mentions Martinez, Gebbia, and POB. Although we don't have Bunch's 40-yard dash time, he belongs in the conversation. He will be competing for the starting job like everyone else, and he looks like a nice fit for SF's offense.

I have a feeling coaches, media and fans will be talking about Bunch more and more as time goes by. They are not going to switch him to safety. He's a QB...a much needed QB to enhance depth and competition.
No need for the "duh," given the awkwardness of your post, I misread it as I "can't" understand why....which is how you should have phrased it if you were supporting Bunch as a potential starter. I should have know it was just a poorly constructed post (duh).

No need for the "duh," given the awkwardness of your post, I misread it as I "can't" understand why....which is how you should have phrased it if you were supporting Bunch as a potential starter. I should have know it was just a poorly constructed post (duh).

Awkward and poorly constructed. You forgot to include informative.

Although he was rated as a 3 star, Bunch did not have any FBS offers. Hard to project a guy like that as a starter, but he is at least a "good to have". Bunch's father was a walk-on wide receiver at Nebraska.

NU QBs in year one of SF's offense...At this point, all of them are unknowns.

In two months spring football will be over. Things will be much clearer then.

Last edited:
Brook Berringer had a faster 40 time than Tommie Frazier, but who was the better runner?

Countless running backs have a better 40 time than Ameer Abdullah, but are they better running backs?

40 time is overrated. I'm more concerned with our quarterback making good reads and being a great ball handler.

I did not always agree that 40 time is overated but now I do. The faster 40 time may help taking it to the house but first you have to hit the hole, ability to break tackles and have field vision.

The next iteration of Frost's offense will not only see all the WRs and RBs as interchangeable, but also QBs!

7 guys on offense that can catch, throw AND run!

The future is here! GBR!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back