• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Proposed Targeting Rule Update

Actually, it doesn’t. You should read Rule 9-1-3.

• No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting. When in question, it is a foul.
Rule 9-1-4 deals with targeting a “defenseless player”.

There are 2 rules and 2 "notes" that apply to targeting. Both pretty much (not 100%, but close) exclude offensive ball carriers from getting a targeting call.

Rule 9-1-3 Is the rule that some fans would like to have called on nearly 50% of all rushing plays...the "crown of the Helmet" rule and note #1. The problem for those that would like referees to be calling targeting throughout many of the games plays is that NOTE 1 clearly indicates that the Crown rule only applies to tackling, blocking and making a play on the ball. This pretty much excludes offensive players from getting this call...though they are smart enough to leave "wiggle room" to make such a call as they deem necessary...but in general it is NOT called, nor intended to be called. To do that, would pretty much end CFB as we know it. The wigglr room is that they could call ball carriers for a violent stiff arm, but it would likely have to be an unusually flagrant stiff arm...likely a neck shot.

Rule 9-1-4 is very clear that defenders are rarely "defenseless" and therefore it would be rare to call a targeting on an offensive player...still, a little "wiggle room" is there, but all refs know how the rule is meant to be enforced. Obviously, many fans do not understand the rule...they want lots of offensive targeting call. Silliness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ruletool.info/ncaa-rule-9-conduct-of-players-and-others-subject-to-the-rules/
ARTICLE 3. Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet(A.R. 9-1-3:I)

No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rule 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-3:I)

[paste:font size="4"]Approved ruling 9-1-3

ARTICLE 4. Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rule 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4:I-VI)

Note 1: “Targeting” means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
  • Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:
  • A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
  • A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
  • A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A player on the ground.
  • A player obviously out of the play.
  • A player who receives a blind-side block.
  • A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.
  • A quarterback any time after a change of possession.
  • A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first.

Last edited:
There are 2 rules and 2 "notes" that apply to targeting. Both pretty much (not 100%, but close) exclude offensive ball carriers from getting a targeting call.

Rule 9-1-3 Is the rule that some fans would like to have called on nearly 50% of all rushing plays...the "crown of the Helmet" rule and note #1. The problem for those that would like referees to be calling targeting throughout many of the games plays is that NOTE 1 clearly indicates that the Crown rule only applies to tackling, blocking and making a play on the ball. This pretty much excludes offensive players from getting this call...though they are smart enough to leave "wiggle room" to make such a call as they deem necessary...but in general it is NOT called, nor intended to be called. To do that, would pretty much end CFB as we know it. The wigglr room is that they could call ball carriers for a violent stiff arm, but it would likely have to be an unusually flagrant stiff arm...likely a neck shot.

Rule 9-1-4 is very clear that defenders are rarely "defenseless" and therefore it would be rare to call a targeting on an offensive player...still, a little "wiggle room" is there, but all refs know how the rule is meant to be enforced. Obviously, many fans do not understand the rule...they want lots of offensive targeting call. Silliness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ruletool.info/ncaa-rule-9-conduct-of-players-and-others-subject-to-the-rules/
ARTICLE 3. Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet(A.R. 9-1-3:I)

No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rule 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-3:I)

[paste:font size="4"]Approved ruling 9-1-3

ARTICLE 4. Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rule 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4:I-VI)

Note 1: “Targeting” means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:
  • Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:
  • A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
  • A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
  • A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A player on the ground.
  • A player obviously out of the play.
  • A player who receives a blind-side block.
  • A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.
  • A quarterback any time after a change of possession.
  • A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first.

So...after all that, you agree that targeting is not limited to “defenseless players” only.

Thanks for confirming.

LOL...I guess you and others now finally "get it." That's cool, glad to be of help instructing you.

Glad I could help you understand that your original statement about targeting only applying to defenseless players was wrong.

I realize you like to attempt to move the ol’ posts, and assign positions to people that they haven’t taken, but you should accept that you were wrong and move on.

Glad I could help you understand that your original statement about targeting only applying to defenseless players was wrong.

I realize you like to attempt to move the ol’ posts, and assign positions to people that they haven’t taken, but you should accept that you were wrong and move on.
LOL...OK, glad you admit that I was right about the rules. Now, if you'd just step to the plate and correct those folks who keep harping for more penalties on ball carriers, rather than focusing on me for simply pointing to one of the 2 applicable rules. But "yes" I was incorrect in saying the rule applied only to defenseless players, even though that truly is how it is enforced.

Last edited:
LOL...OK, glad you admit that I was right about the rules. Now, if you'd just step to the plate and correct those folks who keep harping for more penalties on ball carriers, rather than focusing on me for simply pointing to one of the 2 applicable rules.

You weren’t right...that’s the thing. See, you said targeting only applies to defenseless players. That was wrong. The whole defenseless player thing is inapplicable to to your argument about ball carriers lowering their heads anyway. Which is even more hilarious.

Oh yeah, your whole argument about 50% of the running plays, actually supports changing the rule related to automatic ejections for targeting (non defenseless players).

Again, glad I could help.

You weren’t right...that’s the thing. See, you said targeting only applies to defenseless players. That was wrong. The whole defenseless player thing is inapplicable to to your argument about ball carriers lowering their heads anyway. Which is even more hilarious.

Oh yeah, your whole argument about 50% of the running plays, actually supports changing the rule related to automatic ejections for targeting (non defenseless players).

Again, glad I could help.
Thank you for your help...I just edited my prior post to say that, but since you are following on my heels in fascination, you were too quick for me to get it in. Suffice to say, please go bother those that are wrong about the rule (as it applies to ball carriers)...I'm guessing you won't because you just learned something here, but then again...probably not. BTW, please have the last word, Mr. Helper.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help...I just edited my prior post to say that, but since you are following on my heels in fascination, you were too quick for me to get it in. Suffice to say, please go bother those that are wrong about the rule (as it applies to ball carriers)...I'm guessing you won't because you just learned something here, but then again...probably not. BTW, please have the last word, Mr. Helper.

You remind me of a fish I flushed down the toilet once...no matter how hard it tried, it was destined to fail.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back