• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Proposed 2019 Rule Changes (including targeting)

Nobody makes anyone play football Especially not at the collegiate or pro level.

It comes with risk. When I'm woodworking, there's a risk I'll cut my finger off at the table saw. So clearly, we should ban tablesaws. How about hunters? Rock climbers? Off-roading?

Most sports and hobbies have some element of risk. If they want to ban or reduce kicks in high school and little league play, fine. But leave the NCAA and NFL alone.

Nobody makes anyone play football Especially not at the collegiate or pro level.

It comes with risk. When I'm woodworking, there's a risk I'll cut my finger off at the table saw. So clearly, we should ban tablesaws. How about hunters? Rock climbers? Off-roading?

Most sports and hobbies have some element of risk. If they want to ban or reduce kicks in high school and little league play, fine. But leave the NCAA and NFL alone.

Preach on Brother, however it is possible to lose part of a finger in a snow blower too, just saying. :(

Preach on Brother, however it is possible to lose part of a finger in a snow blower too, just saying. :(

I have a garage full of things that will quickly and with varying degrees of cleanliness, remove digits, limbs, etc. all in the name of building stuff.

In concert with this, referees will also be required to review replays of all targeting calls to confirm all elements of targeting were present. If the targeting penalty is unable to be confirmed by video review, the call on the field cannot stand.

"The targeting rule has been effective in changing player behavior," Steve Shaw, NCAA secretary-rules editor, said in a statement. "The progressive penalty is to ensure that a player re-evaluates his technique, with coaching staff support, after he receives a targeting foul. Additionally, the instant replay review changes will ensure that when a player is disqualified, it is clearly warranted."

So in visiting with my Chiropractor this morning we talked about this briefly. I guess I interpret this as a good rule change. The way I see it is that when reviewed it needs without a doubt to have all the elements of 'targeting' plainly for all to see, if there is any doubt that one portion of the rule exists then there is no targeting. If they the punishment is more severe they want to make sure that there is no doubt on the call. While it may be confusing I guess I see it as a good thing.

So, what was Kenny Bell supposed to do on this play, yell, "Please don't tackle my teammate so he can score?"

the highschool rule we have up here is that you need to hit the person with your hands on blindside blocks and if the player way behind the play and considered a 'pedestrian' you can't just go and blow him up.

I have a garage full of things that will quickly and with varying degrees of cleanliness, remove digits, limbs, etc. all in the name of building stuff.

For me, the table saw and miter saw are probably the fastest. The router might leave a cleaner stump, but it'll fill up the garage with platelets somethin' fierce.

I agree. Until they can accurately call this they shouldn't be adding anymore consequences. It seems to me that there are more mistakes in this call then anything else as so many times the player has the right intention but the offensive player makes a last second adjustment resulting in the contact. They have to be able to recognize when there was no deliberate attempts to target.

Agree 100% ... I have not seen a targeting call yet that was not extremely easy to decipher. Its either a cheap shot, or its not...and they continue to foul it up.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back