• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Power Conferences!

Crusty

Perfectly Unorthodox
5 Year Member
Imagine the eventual split between P5 and G5 schools into separate divisions and then imagine the G5 schools reorganizing into 4 Power/Super Conferences. Simply put, 4 conferences and for playoff spots. I'm sure we all think the Big 12 is toast so here in a scenario:
Pacific---------Big Ten--------SEC-----------Atlantic
Arizona---------Illinois-------Alabama-------Boston College
Arizona St------Indiana--------Arkansas------Clemson
California------Iowa-----------Auburn--------Duke
UCLA------------Maryland-------Florida-------Florida St
Colorado--------Michigan-------Georgia-------Georgia Tech
Oregon----------Michigan St----Kentucky------Louisville
Oregon St-------Minnesota------LSU-----------Miami
USC-------------Nebraska-------Mississippi---North Carolina
Stanford--------Northwestern---Miss St-------NC State
Utah------------Ohio St--------Missouri------Pittsburgh
Washington------Penn State-----South Car-----Syracuse
Washington St---Purdue---------Tennessee-----Virginia
Baylor----------Rutgers--------Texas A&M-----Virginia Tech
Texas-----------Wisconsin------Vanderbilt----Wake Forest

Texas Tech------Iowa St--------Oklahoma------West Virginia
TCU-------------Kansas---------Oklahoma St---Notre Dame

Boise St--------Kansas St------Houston-------UCF
BYU-------------Cincinnati-----Memphis-------USF

I know some of these may seem odd but some were just filler.

Four conferences of 18 teams each makes scheduling easier as well as putting together and easy format.
A conference of 18 split into 2 divisions of 9. A single team would play 8 teams in their division, 3 in the other division and have a 3 game non conference schedule. A 14 game regular season plus a bowl game equals 15 games. Not bad. 14 regular plus a CCG and bowl is 16. Not terrible. Regular plus Conference Champions plus playoffs is 16 to 17 depending on if you win or not.
Yes the season would lengthen a bit but at most by 2 games. While most of the 80 teams don't have a shot at being even division champs it would be a lot more reasonable than having 120 plus teams in the same level.
Conference Champions = Playoff Teams with CCGs acting as a quarterfinal.
Even if playoffs expanded in this format it would be the 4 Conference Champs plus 2 or 4 Wild Cards.
So would an expanded regular season be good or okay for players and fans?
Would Super Conferences be a good or bad?
Would this hurt most teams and benefit just a few or does it even the playing field a bit?
Let me know?

Last edited:

I’m ok with 4 14 team conferences. Basically move Okie and Okie-lite to the Pac and wish the rest luck in the new Super FCS Division with the G5. But I’m surly like that.

Your ambition is admirable, but the problem is all the other FBS teams that you are leaving out. The general assumption has always been that G5 teams are not as good as P5 teams; yet, you include SOME G5 teams in your new alignment and leave a whole other bunch out. The answer for the teams left out seems to be "too bad for them but..." while ignoring all the hard work and effort these schools have put into becoming FBS eligible. I am looking at teams such as Marshall, Western Kentucky, Houston, Troy, Southern Miss, Florida International, Fresno State, San Diego State, etc. There are a lot of very good teams in those left out all of which are capable of competing with and beating the teams in the realigned teams you list. Totally not fair, and if such change is going to work it must be fair.

Imagine the eventual split between P5 and G5 schools into separate divisions and then imagine the G5 schools reorganizing into 4 Power/Super Conferences. Simply put, 4 conferences and for playoff spots. I'm sure we all think the Big 12 is toast so here in a scenario:

Four conferences of 20 teams each makes scheduling easier as well as putting together and easy format.
A conference of 20 split into 2 divisions of 10. A single team would play 9 teams in their division, 2 in the other division and have a 3 game non conference schedule. A 14 game regular season plus a bowl game equals 15 games. Not bad. 14 regular plus a CCG and bowl is 16. Not terrible. Regular plus Conference Champions plus playoffs is 16 to 17 depending on if you win or not.
Yes the season would lengthen a bit but at most by 2 games. While most of the 80 teams don't have a shot at being even division champs it would be a lot more reasonable than having 120 plus teams in the same level.
Even if playoffs expanded in this format it would be the 4 Conference Champs plus 2 or 4 Wild Cards.
Would this hurt most teams and benefit just a few or does it even the playing field a bit?
Let me know?
I guess my first problem is you keep referencing (4) 20 team conferences but yet there are only 18 teams in each one of those listed.

Last edited:
I'd rather have smaller conference limits of maybe 15 or 16. But I also want conferences by region with minimal overlap or crossover. Pretty much the opposite of today's widely spread out and overlapping conference maps.

Four conferences of 18 teams each makes scheduling easier as well as putting together and easy format.
A conference of 18 split into 2 divisions of 9. A single team would play 8 teams in their division, 3 in the other division and have a 3 game non conference schedule. A 14 game regular season plus a bowl game equals 15 games. Not bad. 14 regular plus a CCG and bowl is 16. Not terrible. Regular plus Conference Champions plus playoffs is 16 to 17 depending on if you win or not.
Let me know?

Ok 2nd problem. NCAA doesn't have authority over conference structures. I don't see any chance of them agreeing to an equal number of participants especially this particular scenario. Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Cincinnati bring nothing to the B1G that we would want. I think it would be impossible to get the SEC and B1G to give up their revenue streams for the sole purpose of having an equal number of teams in a conference. It seems like fans are trying to treat college football like the NFL and want equal divisions and schedules. The NFL controls division alignment and make attempts of helping the poorer teams by giving them higher draft picks and easier schedules. College football just can't be set up that way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back