• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Poll: The 9-win Season

Frequency of 9-win seasons over the course of HCSF's entire career?

• 100% of the time

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • 95 to 100% of the time

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • 90 to 95% of the time

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • 85 to 90 % of the time

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • 80 to 85 % of the time

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 75 to 80 % of the time

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 70 to 75% of the time

• 65 to 70 % of the time

• 60 to 65% of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • less than 60% of the time

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
Tom Osborne set the standard for consistency at Nebraska by winning at least 9 games in each of his 25 seasons. Bo Pelini was able to match that by winning at least 9 games in each of his 7 seasons.

Using 9-wins as the NU standard for a good season, here is how our last 6 coaches stack up

1. Tom Osborne - 25 for 25 - 100%
2. Bo Pelini - 7 for 7 - 100%
3. Frank Solich - 5 for 6 - 83%
4. Bob Devaney - 9 for 11 - 82% (6 of BD's 11 seasons had only 10 scheduled games)
5. Mike Riley - 1 for 3 - 33%
6. Bill Callahan - 1 for 4 - 25%

NU just hired the consensus 2017 FBS coach of the year.

POLL QUESTION: How often will Scott Frost be able to win 9 games in a season?

As Jerry DiNardo said, the competition in the FBS is stronger than it has ever been. Being in the Big 10 West gives NU a better chance to win 9 games than being in the Big 10 East, but the B1G West is still pretty salty.

For SF to win 9 games every year would be a remarkable achievement, but not likely. SF's hero in the coaching business is Tom Osborne. TO's 9-win record has given SF something to shoot for. I am sure SF will give it his best shot.

:Balloons:

Last edited:
I think what the nine win standard represents is more important than the actual number in the current landscape. Being consistently good and occasionally great is enough for me. With more parity and five road conference games every other year, I'm not going to get too hung up on winning nine every single season.

"I don't know how things will shake out, but I know one thing...I don't like to lose!"

th

Boy. Talk about different situations. TO was great and he had great teams, but not all the time. Even with poor teams he was almost guaranteed 7 wins every season based on quality of his opponents. He also had a more lenient admissions policy to deal with than we now have.That train has gone for us, and for most schools not located in a state loaded with talent. We aren't. Can you imagine the talent in the 500 mile radius of a school such as OSU, Alabama, Clemson, U of Georgia, USC, Florida, etc. But look at our 500 mile radius. We can get a few really good players from there, but the key word is few.

Having said that however, I think Frost will do very well, better probably than anyone since TO. I don't think it is reasonable to expect him to average 9 wins a season, however. But who knows - he might.

Having said that however, I think Frost will do very well, better probably than anyone since TO. I don't think it is reasonable to expect him to average 9 wins a season, however. But who knows - he might.

9-wins every year in the current CF landscape would be remarkable. But so was 0-12 to 13-0 in 2 years.

"I like to win and I know how to do it!"

Scott_Frost_t440.jpg

If SF can match TO and go 25 for 25 in 9-win seasons I'd call him the GOAT.

Last edited:
Boy. Talk about different situations. TO was great and he had great teams, but not all the time. Even with poor teams he was almost guaranteed 7 wins every season based on quality of his opponents. He also had a more lenient admissions policy to deal with than we now have.That train has gone for us, and for most schools not located in a state loaded with talent. We aren't. Can you imagine the talent in the 500 mile radius of a school such as OSU, Alabama, Clemson, U of Georgia, USC, Florida, etc. But look at our 500 mile radius. We can get a few really good players from there, but the key word is few.

Those are all nice exc uses for not having success. Our current staff won’t need any excuses

Those are all nice exc uses for not having success. Our current staff won’t need any excuses

Yep, SF will not do it by himself. He has a very capable staff. Seems like Ryan Held could land a top-25 recruiting class all by himself...even from his remote outpost in Lincoln.

SF said the greatest lesson he learned from TO is that players will go through a wall for coaches that genuinely care about their welfare. SF has assembled an entire coaching staff that practices that philosophy. In that regard, SF's program will be just like TO's. Sooner or later, lots of great players will be knocking on the door to get in...from all corners of the nation.

9 wins every year? Probably not, but NU will be very competitive.

Last edited:

I won't be shocked to see NU win 9 this year, and you'd think this would be Scott's most challenging year here. However, our schedules have gotten tougher lately than they were in the Big 12 North.

I won't be shocked to see NU win 9 this year, and you'd think this would be Scott's most challenging year here. However, our schedules have gotten tougher lately than they were in the Big 12 North.

As a general rule, I'd say TO had easier schedules in the Big 8 than SF will have in the Big 10. After Oklahoma the drop off in Big 8 competition was normally pretty steep.

Since there are now more bowls and the regular season schedules accomodate more games, it seems to me 9 win seasons are easier to achieve. Change the pole question to be a 10 win season then I'll participate.

Since there are now more bowls and the regular season schedules accomodate more games, it seems to me 9 win seasons are easier to achieve. Change the pole question to be a 10 win season then I'll participate.

I don't see it that way. For us, in the Big Ten, that 12th game is a conference game. Let's assume we win 70% of our conference games - a very high standard. How does a 70% chance in one game compare to tougher schedules and increased parity across the board? Are the conference games 10% or 20% tougher than they used to be back in the 70s or 80s? I don't know exactly. Teams can certainly get on great stretches still. Bama, OSU, and Clemson clearly are and have been for a while. But on the whole, I don't think there is any question it's easier to have some seasons when you're still pretty good but lose four or five games. That's the nature of the beast now.

GET TICKETS

Back