• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Playing Freshman: Why not?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4942
  • Start date
Husker6
Actually, Junior Miller did play as a Freshman according to my 1980 media guide.

1977: 5 catches for 79 yards.

And yes I knew Lavonte was a Juco. I have hope for our freshman linebackers. We already have our likely freshman difference maker D-linemen playing in Thomas so I couldn't use Grant Wistrom as my example.

Husker6
Actually, Junior Miller did play as a Freshman according to my 1980 media guide.

1977: 5 catches for 79 yards.

And yes I knew Lavonte was a Juco. I have hope for our freshman linebackers. We already have our likely freshman difference maker D-linemen playing in Thomas so I couldn't use Grant Wistrom as my example.
That was his soph year. Freshmen didn't play back then.

That was his soph year. Freshmen didn't play back then.

If they played as freshman in 1977 it was on a freshman team way back in the day. You'd play on the freshman team, then redshirt and then join the varsity as a redshirt sophomore. Actually a pretty great system for the players.

If they played as freshman in 1977 it was on a freshman team way back in the day. You'd play on the freshman team, then redshirt and then join the varsity as a redshirt sophomore. Actually a pretty great system for the players.
Correct. I meant varsity of course. Though I can't tell if he redshirted or not.

Last edited:

He played on Freshman Team in 1976, not Varsity, you are correct, my bad.

1977 was sophomore year
1978: 33 for 609 6 TD
1979: 23 for 435 7 TD

All Big Eight both years 77 & 78
All American 1979.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is more than just the physical aspect, just because a player has the skills and overall better talent than those further up the chart does not mean the mental part is. The jump to college requires much more football IQ, players need to know their jobs and be where they are suppose to be, that takes longer for some. Not worth risking the mental mistakes at this point in the season.

C

Last edited:
:nod: If any of the Freshman could be "difference makers", I trust that Riley and company will put them on the field.
I would not trust DL to sell koolaide on a street corner in 100 degree heat. At this point, I dont trust MR either because I can tell you this, DL would be gone by now and drawing his relief check with Banker

You know its hell to get old; not Junior Miller, Johnny Mitchel! Starter as Freshman 1990 11 catches 282 yards 7 TDS Citrus Bowl 5 catches for DONU bowl record 138 yards and 1 TD.
Played 1991 and then went Pro too early.

You know its hell to get old; not Junior Miller, Johnny Mitchel! Starter as Freshman 1990 11 catches 282 yards 7 TDS Citrus Bowl 5 catches for DONU bowl record 138 yards and 1 TD.
Played 1991 and then went Pro too early.

Johnny had unbelievable talent. He would be awesome in MR's offense (with a QB that has a higher completion rate than TL). I thought he would have had a really good NFL run compared to how that worked out.

Agreed. This was supposed to be a 'Limp through' with an 8-5 record and let the kids on the roster grow and improve and start blowing everyone's doors off next year. Oddly, I think all this early playing time for kids like Speilman, Lindsey, Bradley, Jaimes, Denotre Thomas, Stille, Roberts and Bootle should pay off next year in a big way.

This year was always going to be tough especially with the major switch up on defense. I'm not an Xs and Os guy but I have heard that transitioning to a 34 defense is quite extensive. I also believe this is the youngest husker team we have had in quite awhile, not many seniors leaving. However, the offensive line play is very questionable and the offensive identity is all over the place. I don't know if Langsdorf is the right fit for the offense. Thoughts?

This year was always going to be tough especially with the major switch up on defense. I'm not an Xs and Os guy but I have heard that transitioning to a 34 defense is quite extensive. I also believe this is the youngest husker team we have had in quite awhile, not many seniors leaving. However, the offensive line play is very questionable and the offensive identity is all over the place. I don't know if Langsdorf is the right fit for the offense. Thoughts?

I like all of the replacement hires Riley has made so far. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see a new OC and OL coach.

Staff has been bashed all the time and it’s ten fold since the invenention of the internet... I remember Darlington, McBride, Bohl, Cosgrove, Gilmore, Cotton, Watson, Beck...off the top of my head all spending time getting bashed as public enemy number one. Many went on to have great success after leaving.

Riley made the right moves in the off-season. Got rid of banker and read. Got a home run hire in diaco. I love the defensive staff. On offense, I love Keith Williams, but I'm really not sure of Langsdorf. His play calling just really baffles me. If we want to be a run first team, why are we trying to run bubble screens on 2nd/3rd and 2? However, i do believe riley can turn this around, I mean the recruiting is outstanding so far....lets let this thing come to fruition....its only year three people....

It is a young team when you look down the depth chart and especially the overall roster. I've said elsewhere in this thread I don't think I can remember more Freshman and Redshirt Freshman contributing in one season. The offense is really a bit of a surprise to me. I had apparently wrongly assumed the source of the struggles the last two years had more to do with not having the right QB for the system coupled with a struggling offensive line. Lee has shown flashes and has also thrown daggers in the Huskers' own hearts. Sounds familiar. I haven't been to one practice since the Osborne years, so I all I have to go off of in regards to the offensive line is what I've seen in games and it's up and down. Against Wisconsin, a team with one of the better pass rushes in college football, they had one of their better days in pass protection. Slightly different lineup than in the past, but the results where there. Run game was clicking until Wisconsin made some adjustments at the half. So what's the answer? Might be the line is starting to 'gel'. Many will say Cav had the wrong kids in to start with and that may be so, but he may have picked the five best at the time and the others have improved. It happens. On the OC, I've never liked Langsdorf's play calling style. Ever. He'll frustratingly kill a drive with odd play calls or start one off in a 2nd and 10 hole with a deep pass on first down. Adjustments in game that have paid dividends are almost non existent. I did like the Morgan pass last week that was a wrinkle off the typical 'lose two yards' WR screen in the flat. So here's the thing, let's just say Riley somehow wins enough games, hearts and minds to stay for 2018. Day after the Iowa game he fires Cav and DL and brings in a new OC and line coach who install 'their' systems. He's either off and running at the start of 2018 or we're looking at another few years for everyone to learn the 'new' system. I don't think he's got that luxury anymore. If he somehow makes it to 2018, NU wins 9+ or he's gone. I don't see it any other way. Fire whoever you want, keep whoever you want. No more NIU losses, no more inept play in the games that matter, 9+ wins or this last experiment is over.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back