• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Playing Freshman: Why not?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4942
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4942

I have posted in Brian Wilson's thread about our "talent deficiency" which is a bunch of B*llsh&tt.

But it did get me to look at the games I have watch and some of our concerns as a team and ask:

1. Tight end play: Our tight ends have not played well; catching or blocking this year. We have in Austin Allen and Kurt Rafdal two freshman who were the best tightens recruits in Nebraska and Indiana. So why are they not being coached up to play? Especially in Riley's offense which tight end is a featured position? I can't believe that this staff can't see that for DONU and for them the "future is now". Good tight end play would open up the run game a lot!

2. Linebacker play: I'm sorry but Ive had enough of Seeing Newby and Young late to the football. I just watched Tale of the tape again and it was pitiful seeing them try to stop UW's run game. Could not Guy Thomas, Andrew Ward or Willie Hampton provide more athleticism to our D so that at least if they are in the wrong spot the can do a better job of recovering? I need them to find a Lavonte David, cause there is not one out there now.

3. O-line: I wanted Decker at center and Jaimes at tackle; so Im going out on a limb and say based on what i have read that Boe Wilson( okay, he's Red shirt freshman) should be at right guard.

4. QB: Too late to blow Gebbia's red shirt now, but I would have at the Illinois game. Highly talented, better fit to the skills of current team/O-line.

My real point is if talent is the issue then it should be coached up and on the field, regardless of class, not on the bench or redshirted.

Gebbia is the number 3 QB. I think they would need to have put POB in the O-line gauntlet first.

Honestly I think they're playing all the freshman who've practiced well enough to have earned playing time. While I agree with some of your examples of guys who're not getting it done, this staff has to be looking at all options and not playing a freshman right now makes me think they're just not ready.

Honestly I think they're playing all the freshman who've practiced well enough to have earned playing time. While I agree with some of your examples of guys who're not getting it done, this staff has to be looking at all options and not playing a freshman right now makes me think they're just not ready.

I agree. The coaches know they are under the gun and their jobs may be on the line. They are playing the best players. (not that they weren't before).

I agree. The coaches know they are under the gun and their jobs may be on the line. They are playing the best players. (not that they weren't before).

And the number currently contributing is higher than I think I've ever seen at NU. The coaches aren't thinking long game, they're thinking 'make it to 2018'. Pulled out all the stops.

I think MR really viewed this year as a building year and then things got sideways.

Agreed. This was supposed to be a 'Limp through' with an 8-5 record and let the kids on the roster grow and improve and start blowing everyone's doors off next year. Oddly, I think all this early playing time for kids like Speilman, Lindsey, Bradley, Jaimes, Denotre Thomas, Stille, Roberts and Bootle should pay off next year in a big way.

He may have been thinking that but he said the exact opposite in the offseason

I didn't mean that he didn't plan on trying to be the best they could be and try to win every game. Like Crab said, I think he envisioned a 8-5ish record and or maybe better depending on how the D performed and how much the younger guys progressed.

I have posted in Brian Wilson's thread about our "talent deficiency" which is a bunch of B*llsh&tt.

But it did get me to look at the games I have watch and some of our concerns as a team and ask:

1. Tight end play: Our tight ends have not played well; catching or blocking this year. We have in Austin Allen and Kurt Rafdal two freshman who were the best tightens recruits in Nebraska and Indiana. So why are they not being coached up to play? Especially in Riley's offense which tight end is a featured position? I can't believe that this staff can't see that for DONU and for them the "future is now". Good tight end play would open up the run game a lot!

2. Linebacker play: I'm sorry but Ive had enough of Seeing Newby and Young late to the football. I just watched Tale of the tape again and it was pitiful seeing them try to stop UW's run game. Could not Guy Thomas, Andrew Ward or Willie Hampton provide more athleticism to our D so that at least if they are in the wrong spot the can do a better job of recovering? I need them to find a Lavonte David, cause there is not one out there now.

3. O-line: I wanted Decker at center and Jaimes at tackle; so Im going out on a limb and say based on what i have read that Boe Wilson( okay, he's Red shirt freshman) should be at right guard.

4. QB: Too late to blow Gebbia's red shirt now, but I would have at the Illinois game. Highly talented, better fit to the skills of current team/O-line.

My real point is if talent is the issue then it should be coached up and on the field, regardless of class, not on the bench or redshirted.
Agree on most, especially the poor LB/TE play. Not totally agreeing with playing Gebbia earlier or now. Decker and Jaimes at OL? YES! I see Stoll playing a lot of TE but can't really say if he is a good blocker or not (He sure isn't getting any passes thrown at him). I know Hoppes, to be polite, is not good.

And the number currently contributing is higher than I think I've ever seen at NU. The coaches aren't thinking long game, they're thinking 'make it to 2018'. Pulled out all the stops.

He may have been thinking that but he said the exact opposite in the offseason

Case in Point: the way that Tre Bryant was run into the ground knowing full well* as admitted in subsequent press conferences that he has a bum knee. no "long term play" there

Freshman Playing:
Bradley: Due to Injury
Lindsey: Talent but also due to injury depletion of receiver corp.
Thomas: Talent
Jaimes: Injury

So only four true freshman of 14 scholarship freshmen listed in Husker Media guide are playing, two because of injury. This is Riley's third class, it was highly regarded and this is all that could be coached up to play? Especially if our upper classmen are "so bad" (they are not!).

Come on, what no one, even *** has said out loud is this team lacks PLAY MAKERS, DIFFERENCE MAKERS on both sides of the ball.

A game breaking running back, tight end on offense (Ahman Green, Junior Miller) and on Defense a pass rushing defensive end, game changing linebacker (Grant Wistrum, Lavonte David).

My initial post was to hope that from our highly respected freshmen class such playmakers existed and were being overlooked by this coaching staff as they have already shown the ability to do that (See Decker at Center).

Last edited by a moderator:
Freshman Playing:
Bradley: Due to Injury
Lindsey: Talent but also due to injury depletion of receiver corp.
Thomas: Talent
Jaimes: Injury

So only four true freshman of 14 scholarship freshmen listed in Husker Media guide are playing, two because of injury. This is Riley's third class, it was highly regarded and this is all that could be coached up to play? Especially if our upper classmen are "so bad" (they are not!).

Come on, what no one, even *** has said out loud is this team lacks PLAY MAKERS, DIFFERENCE MAKERS on both sides of the ball.

A game breaking running back, tight end on offense (Ahman Green, Junior Miller) and on Defense a pass rushing defensive end, game changing linebacker (Grant Wistrum, Lavonte David).

My initial post was to hope that from our highly respected freshmen class such playmakers existed and were being overlooked by this coaching staff as they have already shown the ability to do that (See Decker at Center).

All of the freshmen except for 2 or 3 started practice with the team in August. I know that you are no MR fan, but 10 weeks seems like a short time to judge how they've been coached.

Discoverer27
IS there anything nonfactual in my posts in this thread?

Its not about liking or disliking Coach Riley, it's about wanting successful Husker football and searching for answers to that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back