• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pinnacle Bank Arena

Is the seating high enough to ever host a NCAA men's first round?

I'm unsure of the seating requirement, but the NCAA requires so many hotel rooms in X number of miles of each site to be eligible to host events (and perhaps other logistical requirements). I think that is why the Devaney no longer hosts NCAA Tournament games.

Last edited:
I'm unsure of the seating requirement, but the NCAA requires so many hotel rooms in X number of miles of each site to be eligible to host events (and perhaps other logistical requirements). I think that is why the Devaney no longer hosts NCAA Tournament games.

I think that's correct. The new arena and the 2 new hotels downtown may be enough to qualify, but without knowing the specifics I am kind of thinking it won't.

yep. and as Impaler mentioned, we have added more hotel rooms so we might be able to host in the future...and the QWEST does have a few opening round dates coming up in the next few years.

besides 17K for opening round requirement is absurd...that's too high of a requirement. IMO.

besides 17K for opening round requirement is absurd...that's too high of a requirement. IMO.

You talk without any knowledge so often that it's really astonishing. Everything you don't understand is "absurd" or "utterly stupid". Ok, WHY would that be "too high of a requirement"? You think the NCAA is not a money making enterprise? When they have so many options that meet their seating standard why would they accept less?

As for the reason the NCAA never went back to the bob...as I recall it wasn't necessarily total number of hotels that Lincoln lacked but a certain number of "quality" hotels. They didn't want more than one team in any one hotel. So they wanted 8 hotels of a certain quality. Not sure if Lincoln has hit that threshold yet but it's moot...the arena is too small.

None of that changes the fact the I hate painted brick...hate it.

:)
Off topic.

Before you say there are not enough seat, look at the other arenas that have hosted in recent years, both first round and regional sights.

AHW (Arena of Haymarket West) is big enough.

If there are not enough seat than it just means that the value of those seat will increase as the popularity of events held at the arena increases. This would lead me to believe that it best serves the university to make Basketball very popular in Nebraska.

(I don't know...are they going to also play volleyball there???)

Off topic.

Before you say there are not enough seat, look at the other arenas that have hosted in recent years, both first round and regional sights.

AHW (Arena of Haymarket West) is big enough.

Pepsi Center: 19,155
St. Pete Times Forum: 21,500
McKale Center: 14,545
Verizon Center: 20,278
Time Warner Cable Arena: 19,077-20,200
United Center: 20,916
Quicken Loans Arena: 20,562
BOK Center: 17,839

One exception to the rule in 2011.

Air travel convenience is likely also a factor.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back