• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Petition at Youngstown State: Remove rapist from football team

HuskerNCorpus

Heisman
15 Year Member
A Youngstown State University student has started a petition to remove Ma'lik Richmond from the football team, stemming from his conviction in the 2012 rape of a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, Ohio.

"I gave him some stipulations and some things he had to be able to do, and if he lived up to them, he'd be able to come out and see if he could be a member of our football team. He did those things and continues to do those things right now, and he's done a nice job for us," Pelini told the station.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...niversity-remove-malik-richmond-football-team

A Youngstown State University student has started a petition to remove Ma'lik Richmond from the football team, stemming from his conviction in the 2012 rape of a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville, Ohio.

"I gave him some stipulations and some things he had to be able to do, and if he lived up to them, he'd be able to come out and see if he could be a member of our football team. He did those things and continues to do those things right now, and he's done a nice job for us," Pelini told the station.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...niversity-remove-malik-richmond-football-team
Come on, Bo, YSU doing this?

Bo is going to take a ton of heat if he keeps this kid. But I believe he will keep him. This kid made national news with an incredibly poor decision. Losing his football career send a message to all athletes I hope Bo listens to the student body. Doesn't he have a daughter that age?

I saw this article this morning and thought about posting it. He is in a no win situation. Let him play - a rapist allowed to play, can him - but the kid already paid his penalty. Touchy situation for sure. He probably would have been best to not allow him on the team in the first place, but now he is there and is following all rules, not sure you could kick him off. Glad it isn't me that has to make that decision.

I guess I look at this as a guy that did something really rotten as a kid, paid the legal penalty, and walked on to the football team to continue his education. He's not a scholarship player, and the student that started the petition doesn't even want him expelled from school. I wonder if she would want him kicked out of any other university-sponsored activities/clubs? Or is it just because he's a football player?

I guess I don't know the specifics of the situation, but it sounds like there were two boys involved, and the now-YSU player got sentenced to one year while the other boy was sentenced to two years. Maybe there is something to that?

Also, they almost make it sound like this was a grown adult raping a 16 year old. They never mentioned that he was also 16 at the time.

I have daughters, so I am torn about this.

I guess I look at this as a guy that did something really rotten as a kid, paid the legal penalty, and walked on to the football team to continue his education. He's not a scholarship player, and the student that started the petition doesn't even want him expelled from school. I wonder if she would want him kicked out of any other university-sponsored activities/clubs? Or is it just because he's a football player?

I guess I don't know the specifics of the situation, but it sounds like there were two boys involved, and the now-YSU player got sentenced to one year while the other boy was sentenced to two years. Maybe there is something to that?

Also, they almost make it sound like this was a grown adult raping a 16 year old. They never mentioned that he was also 16 at the time.

I have daughters, so I am torn about this.
Where is your zero tolerance? You are not outraged enough.
Nothing is relative, don't you know that?

Where is your zero tolerance? You are not outraged enough.
Nothing is relative, don't you know that?
I know, I'm a misogynist pig.

But seriously, rape is a pretty big deal. I struggle to wrap my head around the idea that my daughters will ever have consensual sex. If they were ever raped, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't be the one to end up in prison.

I don't want to downplay any of this (and it's hard to express through a keyboard), but I get the sense that this wasn't a violent act. It was obviously a very serious act, otherwise the boy wouldn't have been sentenced to a year... especially as a juvenile.

But he served his time, and I haven't seen any indication (again, I'm not close to the situation at all) that he has had any problems since. He's now paying his own way through school, hoping to better himself, and is wanting to play football along the way. I'm a little bit surprised that I'm sympathetic to this guy, but I don't think you can just single him out like this.

I know, I'm a misogynist pig.

But seriously, rape is a pretty big deal. I struggle to wrap my head around the idea that my daughters will ever have consensual sex. If they were ever raped, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't be the one to end up in prison.

I don't want to downplay any of this (and it's hard to express through a keyboard), but I get the sense that this wasn't a violent act. It was obviously a very serious act, otherwise the boy wouldn't have been sentenced to a year... especially as a juvenile.

But he served his time, and I haven't seen any indication (again, I'm not close to the situation at all) that he has had any problems since. He's now paying his own way through school, hoping to better himself, and is wanting to play football along the way. I'm a little bit surprised that I'm sympathetic to this guy, but I don't think you can just single him out like this.

This particular petition seems vengeful, revisionist, retroactive, double jeopardy, etc. But I understand the reasoning behind it. Perhaps what he did should have harsher consequences to combat the alleged 'rape culture'

If this happened after he joined the team, then kick him off. However, he served the punishment delivered to him at the time, and Bo even put additional stipulations on him which he is meeting.

Even ex cons deserve a chance after they have paid their debt to society.

Last edited:
A little bit of info on the rape case:

According to trial transcripts, at about midnight, the intoxicated victim left a party with four football players. They went to a second party where the victim vomited and appeared "out of it." The same group left after about 20 minutes, and headed to the home of one of the witnesses. In the backseat of the car during the 15-minute trip, her shirt was removed and Trent Mays digitally penetrated the victim's vagina and exposed her breasts while his friends filmed and photographed her. In the basement of the house, Mays attempted to orally rape the victim by forcing his penis into her mouth. Now unconscious, she was stripped naked and the second accused, Ma'lik Richmond, also digitally penetrated the victim's vagina. She was again photographed. Three witnesses took the photos back to the second party and shared them with friends.[3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenville_High_School_rape_case

images

A little bit of info on the rape case:

According to trial transcripts, at about midnight, the intoxicated victim left a party with four football players. They went to a second party where the victim vomited and appeared "out of it." The same group left after about 20 minutes, and headed to the home of one of the witnesses. In the backseat of the car during the 15-minute trip, her shirt was removed and Trent Mays digitally penetrated the victim's vagina and exposed her breasts while his friends filmed and photographed her. In the basement of the house, Mays attempted to orally rape the victim by forcing his penis into her mouth. Now unconscious, she was stripped naked and the second accused, Ma'lik Richmond, also digitally penetrated the victim's vagina. She was again photographed. Three witnesses took the photos back to the second party and shared them with friends.[3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenville_High_School_rape_case

images

Oh now I remember this case. Yeah, what those guys did was bad. I can understand the outrage.

My question is why did they receive such light sentences for rape? They should still be in prison.

As Whoopi Goldberg would say, "I know it wasn't rape-rape. It was something else but I don't believe it was rape-rape."

:O O:

Yea, that's pretty disgusting but in a "mob" setting like this similar things have happened involving otherwise good kids making dumb decisions. As was mentioned earlier, it's paramount to remember these were all kids, not adults taking advantage of vulnerable children. I'm a bit shocked that the punishment was only 1 and 2 years but then again, I'm not familiar with the juvenile courts.

Bottom line, the kid sounds like he made a big mistake and has done everything in his power to make a better life for himself going forward.... but I wouldn't want him on MY team, too many raw nerves.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back