• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pete Thamel's (Yahoo) Paragraph on the Nebraska Job

BARNUM is back

Son of NUM
5 Year Member
published yesterday
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footballs-coaching-carousel-will-scott-frost-2018-191153413.html
5. Who is next at Nebraska?

Nice guy Mike Riley is destined to get bounced at Nebraska. Administrators there didn’t bring in Bill Moos as athletic director for the status quo, especially when it involves losses to Northern Illinois and 56-14 drubbings by Ohio State.

Frost isn’t as big of a shoo-in as many have assumed. He obviously considers Nebraska a special place. But the judiciousness he’s shown in past year indicates he’ll vet the job as thoroughly and emotionlessly as any other job that opens on the market. He certainly could end up at Nebraska, but he’ll do so with an approach that’s more pragmatic than sentimental.

If he passes or goes elsewhere, Mike Leach is the next most obvious name. Traditionalists will thumb their nose at the unconventional Leach. His spread offense is the opposite of the power football that brought so much glory to Lincoln. But Lincoln is a lot more like Leach’s past stops in Lubbock and Pullman than anyone in Nebraska wants to admit. Leach brings an identity, can lure top quarterbacks and a style that can make Nebraska a destination again.

There’s a disparate list of names from there. Could Sumlin beat the posse there and make Nebraska cool again? Can Arkansas’ Bret Bielema sell his Big Ten success and bring a smashmouth identity? Would Schiano’s program-building experience and no-nonsense sensibilities work? Does a Big Ten assistant like Penn State’s Joe Moorhead get a chance?

"Lincoln is a lot more like... Lubbock and Pullman than anyone in Nebraska wants to admit." well he is right about 1 thing - i do not want to admit that - i don't believe it is true.

it was just interesting to hear Thamel - who tries to keep a close eye on the national coaching change picture say names like "Sumlin, Bielema, Schiano" i would feel pessimistic about any of those. Personally I would rather try to catch a rising star than try to polish up a tarnished one.

Please no on Leach, Sumlin, Bielema or Schiano. Leach's personality would not fit in Nebraska at all. Sumlin couldn't get it done being located squarely in TX with huge talent to grab from. Bielema and Schiano both seem like abrasive personalities (didn't we just get rid of one of those?) and weren't very successful after they left their previous gigs.

Nebraska is light years ahead of Tech and WSU;

- Nattys
- Heismans
- National brand the everyone knows
- Facilities second to none
- Sellout streak of 90K dating to '62
- THE University of Nebraska
- state capital
- etc.

There are always folks wanting to pile on. Many major universities are in obscure towns, many in the middle of nowhere. Give it a rest already.

Nebraska is light years ahead of Tech and WSU;
- Nattys
- Heismans
- National brand the everyone knows
- Facilities second to none
- Sellout streak of 90K dating to '62
- THE University of Nebraska
- state capital
- etc.

everything you have said it true. but i think that the first two are the primary drivers of many of the list items that follow. that is why the next decade at NU is so important. I'm not saying that the fan support and athletic department money cant continue if NU does not return to championship caliber football,but it is going to start to get really difficult - in our lifetimes if things don't improve. look at Pittsburgh. 8 National titles and 1 Heisman (1976) their program has experience the cataclysm that we should be be afraid of as husker fans

Pittsburgh isn’t the flagship state university and never has been.

I’ve seen a lot of programs go through clunker decades - some multiple decades - and then rise to the top.

Bama (ever been to Tuscaloosa? Real nice place)
Clemson
Oregon
Florida State
Miami
Ohio State
Michigan
OU
OSU
aTm
Baylor
TCU
Wisconsin
LSU
Auburn
USC
Stanford
UW

Come on, this is Nebraska. It will always be Nebraska. We will cycle back up, if from nothing else dumb luck at some point.

Pittsburgh isn’t the flagship state university and never has been.

I’ve seen a lot of programs go through clunker decades - some multiple decades - and then rise to the top.

Bama (ever been to Tuscaloosa? Real nice place)
Clemson
Oregon
Florida State
Miami
Ohio State
Michigan
OU
OSU
aTm
Baylor
TCU
Wisconsin
LSU
Auburn
USC
Stanford
UW

Come on, this is Nebraska. It will always be Nebraska. We will cycle back up, if from nothing else dumb luck at some point.

I hope you were being sarcastic to the bolded.

published yesterday
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footballs-coaching-carousel-will-scott-frost-2018-191153413.html
it was just interesting to hear Thamel - who tries to keep a close eye on the national coaching change picture say names like "Sumlin, Bielema, Schiano" i would feel pessimistic about any of those. Personally I would rather try to catch a rising star than try to polish up a tarnished one.
Pessimistic would be the best feeling I would have about any of those hires.....

Please no on Leach, Sumlin, Bielema or Schiano. Leach's personality would not fit in Nebraska at all. Sumlin couldn't get it done being located squarely in TX with huge talent to grab from. Bielema and Schiano both seem like abrasive personalities (didn't we just get rid of one of those?) and weren't very successful after they left their previous gigs.

Of those listed names I think a Leach would be my first choice. He’s basically built two programs. Two programs that were essentially doormats. I think he could do well with NU resources and if he hired a stud DC. Wouldn’t be my first choice overall mind you.

And this is why it has to be Frost or bust. Any other hire with piss the fanbase off and continue the misery.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back