• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Penn State--in the news again

Its just busting loose now, states are legalizing drugs at an alarming rate.

I doubt very much you can solve this problem with any amount of money. Society needs to change and that isn't going to happen.

Strong enforcement and the criminals incarcerated is the only answer, which is what we dont have. Education might help a small bit, but don't kid yourself. That is a fall back contention when all else fails.

One "drug", marijuana. We are all doomed.

C

One "drug", marijuana. We are all doomed.

University of Florida wide receiver Antonio Callaway was cited for marijuana possession Saturday morning by the Gainesville Police Department.

Matt Baker of the Tampa Bay Times confirmed the news Thursday based on a review of Alachua County court records. The Gators star is due in court June 6.

Court records show police conducted a search after smelling marijuana during a traffic stop. They found approximately seven grams of the drug on Callaway and 5.4 grams in the vehicle, which both the Florida player and another individual in the car, Kendrick Williams, claimed.

"Coach [Jim] McElwain is aware of it and it is being dealt with," said Florida Spokesman Steve McClain, per Robbie Andreu of Gatorsports.com.

Mark Long of the Associated Press reported in August the Miami native previously admitted marijuana use in a student code of conduct hearing in 2016. He said he "was so stoned (he) had no interest in having sex with anyone" in response to a sexual assault allegation.

McElwain said at that time he would attempt to help his receiver, but he added there would be punishment if the problems continued.

"If there are some issues, find help," McElwain told Long. "If it becomes habitual, then there are some consequences. At the same time, through the stuff we do, through the education piece, I'm here to help him. And I'm here to make sure if there's something there that isn't a one-off, but obviously is something that is going to be a huge problem, which you're obviously aware of some of the cases here over the years that have missed some things because of those details."

Like this guy and Randy

Last edited:
Alcohol and opiates are so much more dangerous than marijuana it isn't even a fair comparison. The side effects and rates of dependency speak for themselves. I also brew my own beer so I suppose you could say I'm a hypocrite in regard to alcohol, but as dangerous as it is, it is legal because it is socially accepted. The irony is I could grow my own weed and be prosecuted, despite the lack of dangerous compared to prescription drugs, but that's due to the pharmaceutical industry, and you can't deny that. Dependence on pain killers has led to the heroin epidemic and overdose deaths we have today, yet politicians remain quiet because big pharma is in their pockets, on both sides.
Users always exstoll the virtues of the drug they want to use. Both are bad, that is why its against the law to use either when driving a car

Uh, only if you consider marijuana a drug.

Most of the epidemic is opioids, prescribed by doctors.
Wrong, opiods are illegal and hard to get unless you have a doctor that is friendly to your cause. Marijuana is just as bad just as addicting inspite of what you think.

Wrong, opiods are illegal and hard to get unless you have a doctor that is friendly to your cause. Marijuana is just as bad just as addicting inspite of what you think.
That is so wrong it's funny

Over 300 million opioid prescriptions were written last year and is on the rise. Over 50,000 opioid deaths now each year and the majority of them are from prescription medicine. Almost double that of heroin and cocaine combined

http://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/opioid-addiction-disease-facts-figures.pdf

Last edited:
That is so wrong it's funny

Over 300 million opioid prescriptions were written last year and is on the rise. Over 50,000 opioid deaths now each year and the majority of them are from prescription medicine. Almost double that of heroin and cocaine combined

http://www.asam.org/docs/default-source/advocacy/opioid-addiction-disease-facts-figures.pdf
DRs are definitely oversubscribing them. I received two scrips in the last three months. I keep them just in case I need them but have only taken three pills total. Once I get this kidney stone out they all go in the trash.

Last edited:
It's not the syste, but individual frats, generally being led by a group of individuals. Depends on the frat. And there disciplinary actions taken against the frats.

Agree 100%. Not every Frat is full of nugget heads. Some do very good work.

Exactly...I went to a small private college and joined a frat there...not on the same level as the national fraternities. Anyway, I do not drink alcohol and never did when I was younger. Joining a fraternity didn't change that.

You can't honestly believe that marijuana is just as bad as opioids?

Last edited:

From a colleague of mine

This is a piece of an article I think is important.
....in our addiction, the things we do are not because we choose to do them, but because we have to do them. Addiction is survival. And survival is not a choice. I told myself that I would stop. because of my education and research, I also understand the neurocircuitry, neuropharmacology, and behavioral aspects of opioid addiction.
I believe in science. I believe in its truth. And science has shown that opioid addiction is a disorder of brain structure and, thus, function. The continual intake of these opioids, day after day, year after year, alters the brain on a cellular, molecular, basis. These alterations are opioid addiction. And they are manifested as behavior directed towards the survival of the individual.
The neurobiological explanation of this disorder is beyond the scope of this post. But maybe this will help.
Let’s say that you haven’t had anything to eat for four or five days. You are starving. Can you feel it? What it’s like to be really starving? What would you be thinking about? Food. You would be needing, craving, food. This craving that you feel, that’s the brain’s mechanism that drives you to survive. Its purpose is to make everything else fall away and to force you to focus solely on obtaining what you have to have to live.
Now, let’s go further. Let’s say that food is restricted. There’s a famine or some kind of government control that limits the amount of food. There are no soup kitchens; there are no food banks. And no one will give you any food because they don’t have enough for themselves. There is, however, a black market in food. But the food in this black market, it is scarce and it is expensive. And it is illegal. It is against the law to buy food in this black market. What would you do? If you were starving? Would you break the law? Would you steal? To eat. And to live? How much of yourself would you sacrifice, how much of who you are, what you are, would you let go of, to survive?
This craving for food is measured in days. Our craving for opioids is measured in hours. Four to five hours after our last use, we begin to starve. And we crave. Three or four times a day we experience this craving.
Everything but our need for these opioids, falls away. And we focus solely on what we have to do, to survive. We don’t have a choice. We really don’t.
Please understand, I’m not trying to excuse our behavior. I am, though, trying to help you understand why we do these things. I know it may be difficult to believe if we have stolen from you, if we have been verbally abusive, and maybe even physical with you, that even while we were doing these things, we loved you. When we hurt you, we hurt too. We are doing these things because we have to survive, not because we want to do them. We become desperate, and in our desperation we do things that we know are wrong; we do things that we know are not us. But this doesn’t mean we don’t care, it doesn’t mean we don’t love; what it does mean is that we are starving. And that we are so desperate that we will hurt the ones we love to end that starvation.
What is sad is that we don’t understand this. We don’t understand why we are hurting the ones we love. And because we don’t understand, we can’t explain it to you. We can’t explain why we are hurting you. Not to ourselves and not to you. No one told us that these opioids cause changes in brain structure such that they become more important for our survival than food. We don’t understand this, and neither do you. And this lack of understanding can rip apart a family. It can replace love with resentments and anger. On both sides. And in this pain, in this lack of understanding, we can lose each other.
The knowledge that I hope you take away from this post is that your child or your loved one did not hurt you so that they could go out and buy hydro’s, oxy’s, or heroin. What they bought was their survival.
For those of you that have come to BNM from GRASP, and for others in this group that have lost a child or loved one to overdose and addiction, I hope this post will help you to understand that there is no blame here. Whatever you did, however you tried to help the one you loved, you did your best. Because that’s what love does. And I hope you also understand that your child, your loved one, they did their best. They fought, they struggled, they did all they could to stop. But ultimately, their disorder took their life.
Understanding, knowledge, is power. The lack of it is confusion and helplessness.
Sam Snodgrass, PhD
Board of Directors, Broken No More/GRASP

Some of us were around Harvard when Leary was giving psychedelic drugs to underclassmen and women as part of a "controlled" project. My roommate worked at a local mental institute as part of his self-imposed training to get ready for medical school, and to his surprise ran across a young woman there we both knew , ex-Radcliffe student - totally lost mentally and emotionally, and the attribution was to the experiments with Leary's psychedelic drugs. She had signed on at the school as lots of other innocent underclassmen had to make a buck or two in an easy casual way, and had taken the drug a few times. She had no prior inclinations that would have signaled danger.

I know that is a sample of one, but I'm sorry. Drugs that mess with your mind are dangerous and not worth the all encompassing recreational high that some seem to get with them. Some drugs perhaps are more dangerous than others, and some may ultimately prove to be useful as one more cover for pain, but none of them are harmless.

Some of us were around Harvard when Leary was giving psychedelic drugs to underclassmen and women as part of a "controlled" project. My roommate worked at a local mental institute as part of his self-imposed training to get ready for medical school, and to his surprise ran across a young woman there we both knew , ex-Radcliffe student - totally lost mentally and emotionally, and the attribution was to the experiments with Leary's psychedelic drugs. She had signed on at the school as lots of other innocent underclassmen had to make a buck or two in an easy casual way, and had taken the drug a few times. She had no prior inclinations that would have signaled danger.

I know that is a sample of one, but I'm sorry. Drugs that mess with your mind are dangerous and not worth the all encompassing recreational high that some seem to get with them. Some drugs perhaps are more dangerous than others, and some may ultimately prove to be useful as one more cover for pain, but none of them are harmless.
As the old addiction saying goes...Free your mind, your ass will follow

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back