• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Penn State--in the news again

Alcohol is a drug in fact if it were introduced today it would be a schedule two narcotic. What needs to happen across this country in high schools is mandatory alcohol education. If it were made public ( easy to do today) the fact is that over 100 people a day die from an alcohol related crash( no accident), and assault with either victim or perpetrator under the influence of alcohol. The industry is a multi billion dollar enterprise it advertises to the tune of a few million a day. This country needs to invest in a generation of young people who understand it's dangers. Too often we are educated only after alcohol tragedy hits home.
Society needs to stop glorifying alcohol and accepting it as a a right of passage. It's been legal for a long time and we've done a horrible job dealing with its deadly affects. To make matters worse it's just a matter if time until marijuana is legal and liberally advertised.

What I like about this set of comments on this question is that there is not a lot of "boys will be boys, a reasonable rite of passage, accident that it happened and boys should be excused and learn from this, " etc. I think a decade ago there would have been a lot more of those comments in response to this.

Alcohol is a drug in fact if it were introduced today it would be a schedule two narcotic. What needs to happen across this country in high schools is mandatory alcohol education. If it were made public ( easy to do today) the fact is that over 100 people a day die from an alcohol related crash( no accident), and assault with either victim or perpetrator under the influence of alcohol. The industry is a multi billion dollar enterprise it advertises to the tune of a few million a day. This country needs to invest in a generation of young people who understand it's dangers. Too often we are educated only after alcohol tragedy hits home.
Society needs to stop glorifying alcohol and accepting it as a a right of passage. It's been legal for a long time and we've done a horrible job dealing with its deadly affects. To make matters worse it's just a matter if time until marijuana is legal and liberally advertised.
This makes sense, just like with sex education. Nobody wants to encourage teens to have sex, but we all know it happens anyway, so education about the hazards (stds, pregnancy, etc) is provided, info about where to go to for help, and even condoms are made available so they can protect themselves.

Similarly, nobody wants to promote underage drinking (and irresponsible drinking at any age), but we all know it happens anyway, so they should be educated on the hazards of binge drinking, alcohol poisoning, drunk driving, etc., when/where they should seek help, etc.

Last edited:
This is a good sounding idea. However how much good has "DARE", "Just say no" and Sex ed done for keeping people off drugs and practicing safe sex? Stats say not much. We need parents to step up.

Lots of sarcasm in this post, and definitely warranted, but I actually think the Greek system SHOULD be shut down. Meh, it'll never change, though. Good-ole-boy systems never die.
It's not the syste, but individual frats, generally being led by a group of individuals. Depends on the frat. And there disciplinary actions taken against the frats.

This is a good sounding idea. However how much good has "DARE", "Just say no" and Sex ed done for keeping people off drugs and practicing safe sex? Stats say not much. We need parents to step up.
Dare teaches or attempts to teach kids to stay away from drugs and peer pressure. I am very familiar with the program as it was taught be the LA Police Department and became a very popular and widely used program in 5th and 6th grade classrooms throughout the country. I actually met the original 7 Dare officers when they came to my city for a two week training. They were incredible teachers who'd put education professionals to shame. Incredibly prepared and motivated. The curriculum is designed to recognize and respond to peer pressure. When taught correctly it's a great program.
However it does not address what happens when someone drinks especially young people or first time drinkers.
When a young person drinks for the first time they are going to experience the side effects of the DRUG alcohol for the first time. It's extremely dangerous because it's impossible to know what the drug reaction is going to be for any person.
The young man at Penn State was NOT an experienced drinker. He basically overdosed at the hands of his so called friends for their entertainment.Alcohol education is a fascinating learning experience there are so many variables that people don't understand.

Dare teaches or attempts to teach kids to stay away from drugs and peer pressure. I am very familiar with the program as it was taught be the LA Police Department and became a very popular and widely used program in 5th and 6th grade classrooms throughout the country. I actually met the original 7 Dare officers when they came to my city for a two week training. They were incredible teachers who'd put education professionals to shame. Incredibly prepared and motivated. The curriculum is designed to recognize and respond to peer pressure. When taught correctly it's a great program.
However it does not address what happens when someone drinks especially young people or first time drinkers.
When a young person drinks for the first time they are going to experience the side effects of the DRUG alcohol for the first time. It's extremely dangerous because it's impossible to know what the drug reaction is going to be for any person.
The young man at Penn State was NOT an experienced drinker. He basically overdosed at the hands of his so called friends for their entertainment.Alcohol education is a fascinating learning experience there are so many variables that people don't understand.
My point was not that they are "bad" programs or that they do not give kids good information. My point is they did almost nothing to slow the drug problems in the United states.

I spent a good part of my career in education dealing with drug and alcohol programs. It's funny that I'm writing drug and alcohol because I trained young people and parents to understand it's Alcohol and Other Drugs. The alcohol industry spent millions to control the alcohol message. SADD was originally called Students Against Drunk Driving it's now Students Against Destructive Decisions. That name change is no accident it was intense lobbying and marketing by the alcohol industry. They need to control the message it's a multi billion dollar business.
Twenty years ago the alcohol industry topped the billion dollar a year in advertising ( 20 years ago) that's 2,700,000 a day. Give me 2,700,000 a day and I'll solve the underage drinking problem.

My point was not that they are "bad" programs or that they do not give kids good information. My point is they did almost nothing to slow the drug problems in the United states.
You need to understand the target of the program whatever the anti drug program you may use with young people.It is up against massive amounts of money from the alcohol industry selling booze and fun booze and sex booze and the good life. It works or they wouldn't spend the money. They know who to target and how to target them. You or many of the readers don't see the alcohol marketing to college and high school kids. It's not targeting you or me believe me they know how to do it and they'll spend whatever because it's profitable.
It's tough as a parent any parent to compete with the message until it hits their family. They don't target adults unless they're alcoholics and that's a whole different area of advertising.

The slaps on the wrists have not worked, hard time in prison probably would. Frats do not belong in today's world, their time has come and gone. However, they likely wont go away but they should not be allowed to dispense alcohol on their premises on any campus anywhere in the USA.

PSU cannot get out of its own way, those sanctions from the NCAA should never have be removed. The arrogance of the school and its students is staggering.

I spent a good part of my career in education dealing with drug and alcohol programs. It's funny that I'm writing drug and alcohol because I trained young people and parents to understand it's Alcohol and Other Drugs. The alcohol industry spent millions to control the alcohol message. SADD was originally called Students Against Drunk Driving it's now Students Against Destructive Decisions. That name change is no accident it was intense lobbying and marketing by the alcohol industry. They need to control the message it's a multi billion dollar business.
Twenty years ago the alcohol industry topped the billion dollar a year in advertising ( 20 years ago) that's 2,700,000 a day. Give me 2,700,000 a day and I'll solve the underage drinking problem.
Its just busting loose now, states are legalizing drugs at an alarming rate.

I doubt very much you can solve this problem with any amount of money. Society needs to change and that isn't going to happen.

Strong enforcement and the criminals incarcerated is the only answer, which is what we dont have. Education might help a small bit, but don't kid yourself. That is a fall back contention when all else fails.

Its just busting loose now, states are legalizing drugs at an alarming rate.

I doubt very much you can solve this problem with any amount of money. Society needs to change and that isn't going to happen.

Strong enforcement and the criminals incarcerated is the only answer, which is what we dont have. Education might help a small bit, but don't kid yourself. That is a fall back contention when all else fails.
Uh, only if you consider marijuana a drug.

Most of the epidemic is opioids, prescribed by doctors.

Uh, only if you consider marijuana a drug.

Most of the epidemic is opioids, prescribed by doctors.

Alcohol and opiates are so much more dangerous than marijuana it isn't even a fair comparison. The side effects and rates of dependency speak for themselves. I also brew my own beer so I suppose you could say I'm a hypocrite in regard to alcohol, but as dangerous as it is, it is legal because it is socially accepted. The irony is I could grow my own weed and be prosecuted, despite the lack of dangerous compared to prescription drugs, but that's due to the pharmaceutical industry, and you can't deny that. Dependence on pain killers has led to the heroin epidemic and overdose deaths we have today, yet politicians remain quiet because big pharma is in their pockets, on both sides.

Alcohol and opiates are so much more dangerous than marijuana it isn't even a fair comparison. The side effects and rates of dependency speak for themselves. I also brew my own beer so I suppose you could say I'm a hypocrite in regard to alcohol, but as dangerous as it is, it is legal because it is socially accepted. The irony is I could grow my own weed and be prosecuted, despite the lack of dangerous compared to prescription drugs, but that's due to the pharmaceutical industry, and you can't deny that. Dependence on pain killers has led to the heroin epidemic and overdose deaths we have today, yet politicians remain quiet because big pharma is in their pockets, on both sides.

Why buy a ten dollar pill when you can get more bang for your buck in a 1/4 gram of heroin. There was a good documentary/news story focusing on teens in the North East getting prescribed opioids and moving to heroin because it is so much cheaper.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back