• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Penn State--in the news again

The Sandusky scandal was not enough, now they have this on their plate. Why would any player, student athlete want to attend that University? Seems the University leadership on many levels comes into question.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/08/us/penn-state-fraternities-hazing-alcohol/index.html
Sandusky scandal aside, this happens everywhere; they just got unlucky and caught in this instance. No major university is free of alcohol and no fraternity is free of hazing. Only when things get really bad do they get noticed, and sometimes not even then.

This is an issue inside fraternities and has little to do with athletics per se.
Would you want your kid to attend a university that seems to have a lack of leadership with regard to the issues Penn State is involved with? It has everything to do with athletics, not to mention all the other academic and other programs at the university level.

Sandusky scandal aside, this happens everywhere; they just got unlucky and caught in this instance. No major university is free of alcohol and no fraternity is free of hazing. Only when things get really bad do they get noticed, and sometimes not even then.
I am not denying the issue. What I am questioning is the leadership of this university.

I am not denying the issue. What I am questioning is the leadership of this university.
But your first post implied that it's solely that university that has things like this happen, when I can GUARANTEE it happens at UNL. It happens at OSU. It happens at USC, at BYU, at Fresno State. It happens at Harvard and Yale and Princeton. Questioning the leadership of one university in this kind of matter is questioning the leadership of all universities.

But your first post implied that it's solely that university that has things like this happen, when I can GUARANTEE it happens at UNL. It happens at OSU. It happens at USC, at BYU, at Fresno State. It happens at Harvard and Yale and Princeton. Questioning the leadership of one university in this kind of matter is questioning the leadership of all universities.
My first post did not imply anything, except that this particular university apparently has a history of not being able to exhibit leadership.

Would you want your kid to attend a university that seems to have a lack of leadership with regard to the issues Penn State is involved with? It has everything to do with athletics, not to mention all the other academic and other programs at the university level.
If I'm a legacy from that school, or have a good friend from that school, or live in Pennsylvania, or have followed them my whole life I would still be interested in that school.

It's a silly question. Can you honestly dissuade a Nebraska fan from attending in Lincoln even should these things have happened there? And indeed they happen everywhere.

What fraternity did you attend? I also can guarantee my fraternity had drinking and hazing incidents, but nothing to the degree described in the above article. Not even close. And the incidents were dealt with by the fraternity's officers and ultimately the alumni board.

What fraternity did you attend? I also can guarantee my fraternity had drinking and hazing incidents, but nothing to the degree described in the above article. Not even close. And the incidents were dealt with by the fraternity's officers and ultimately the alumni board.
By "things like this," I meant irresponsible hazing and unregulated alcohol abuse, not death by conspiratorial stupidity, so I'm sure that nothing to the degree described in the article happened in your experience. But, just like you say, your fraternity had drinking and hazing incidents, just like every other fraternity has drinking and hazing incidents. Many of those involve physical injury or trips to the hospital, but suddenly Penn State is the school that is "out of control"? My guess is that issues like these are handled in similar fashion at PSU as they were for your frat, and would have in this case except that someone died. Is that on PSU's leadership, or is it on the fraternity and its members/policies? I vote the latter, because it can happen at any university. That was the point I was making.

I guess I don't understand that type of hazing. I was in a fraternity back in the 80's and there was definitely hazing, most of it was done to take a few guys down a peg or 2 and to get to know each other and the actives. But no one ever made anyone drink to excess if they didn't want to. I had 5-6 guys in my class that didn't really even drink.

By "things like this," I meant irresponsible hazing and unregulated alcohol abuse, not death by conspiratorial stupidity, so I'm sure that nothing to the degree described in the article happened in your experience. But, just like you say, your fraternity had drinking and hazing incidents, just like every other fraternity has drinking and hazing incidents. Many of those involve physical injury or trips to the hospital, but suddenly Penn State is the school that is "out of control"? My guess is that issues like these are handled in similar fashion at PSU as they were for your frat, and would have in this case except that someone died. Is that on PSU's leadership, or is it on the fraternity and its members/policies? I vote the latter, because it can happen at any university. That was the point I was making.

It's a fair point, but the article seems to suggest that this is a widespread problem across its entire fraternal system with similar complaints being made by many students, which were ignored. That seems to be more of a university problem. Fraternities at Nebraska have been kicked off the university for much less than what is being reported in the article. If the university is going to sanction fraternal organizations and allow them to be entities within the university system then the university has a responsibility to step in when issues become serious. If the incidents reported in the article had occurred in university dormitories, don't you think the university would be responsible? How is that different from fraternity houses that are on campus and approved university housing?

I don't put fractured skulls, ruptured spleens, and a coordinated attempt to cover up an alleged manslaughter in my "this happens everywhere" bucket.

FWIW when I looked at Cam Browns RTs when he committed, a couple of high profile recruits RTd this story with an eye roll or SMH. No, it doesn't directly affect athletics, but that 4* kid's parents have another con to the PSU pro/con list.

Has ZERO to do with athletics. What happens to the fraternity going FORWARD is on the University...but this has happened at pretty much every campus in the nation...fraternities, dorms, etc. Not excusing it but you're reaching here.

What UNIVERSITY did you go to? Because I bet you some kid (probably more than one) athat university has died in a drinking related incident.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back