• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Palmer - Is it an on/off Switch?

MartyHuskerFan

Tired and True
What I am NOT saying is that Palmer is no good or Miles does not know how to use him. So please listen to what I AM saying.

What is going on with Palmer? The Clemson game was similar to some of the previous games. Its like the kid forgot how to play basketball. I thought he was the best guy. It seems that the opposing teams have figured him out and are totally committed to taking him out. In the Clemson game though, he seemed to catch fire in the second half. It seemed like something or somebody had him shackled and the shackles were removed. So here are my questions.

1. Is the other team actually doing something to slow him down? He likes to go right and drive past a couple guys and then go to the hoop hard. I dont see him even trying to do that anymore. Is it just not there?
  2. Does Miles want to hold him back either as an in-game strategy or a season progression and team building effort?
  3. Is there some way to get Palmer better at outside shooting? Is that what Miles is trying to do?
  4. What happened in the 2nd half of the Clemson game to ignite Palmer's production? Why is that not always there?
  5. Can we count on Palmer flipping a switch anytime the team needs him? Didn't happen against TexTch. Why?
GBR

What I am NOT saying is that Palmer is no good or Miles does not know how to use him. So please listen to what I AM saying.

What is going on with Palmer? The Clemson game was similar to some of the previous games. Its like the kid forgot how to play basketball. I thought he was the best guy. It seems that the opposing teams have figured him out and are totally committed to taking him out. In the Clemson game though, he seemed to catch fire in the second half. It seemed like something or somebody had him shackled and the shackles were removed. So here are my questions.

1. Is the other team actually doing something to slow him down? He likes to go right and drive past a couple guys and then go to the hoop hard. I dont see him even trying to do that anymore. Is it just not there?
  2. Does Miles want to hold him back either as an in-game strategy or a season progression and team building effort?
  3. Is there some way to get Palmer better at outside shooting? Is that what Miles is trying to do?
  4. What happened in the 2nd half of the Clemson game to ignite Palmer's production? Why is that not always there?
  5. Can we count on Palmer flipping a switch anytime the team needs him? Didn't happen against TexTch. Why?
GBR
I agree with some of what you are saying, he is definitely hot/cold/hot. Scientifically speaking, I believe the solution is for me to start cursing him, yell no, no, no as he shoots a 3-pointer from waaaaay outside, and then he suddenly becomes All Conference.

GBR

I think it is a focus thing....

1) Yes - he is the focus of the opposing team out of the gate...until Copeland gets hot or Watson drops in a three, then the other team has to let up some to cover the new hot man
2) Can't see this - we need wins doesn't matter who leads the charge
3) It has been reported that there is more emphasis on making 3's. Palmer can make the shot and so far this season as soon as one goes in he seems to get better at driving as his man has to play tighter
4) No clue, basketball is funny that way - players just seem to switch ON all of a sudden. Rett/Redd? for Clemson same deal in the 2nd half
5) See #1 - If you know he is going to get the ball in crunch time it is easier to slow him down. We need to ride the hot hand whether it is him, Watson, Copeland or even Roby can get some quick points.

Copeland said we 'gave up' against TT. I don't see the leaders letting that happen again this season. I am enjoying this ride so far!

Palmer is a volume scorer. James is gonna James and either the shots go in, or they don't. He's gonna take however many shots is required with no check/balance in place and thus, the issue is this: Tim Miles hasn't created a system that can/will account for a volume scorer going cold. When James or Terran Petteway is on, its great. When they aren't, its not. If the Team gave up vs. TT its cause there wasn't any other solutions being offered. Sounds like the 2017 NU Football team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back