• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Palmer and Copeland put names in NBA draft, will not hire agent so coming back still an option

We will have to play a small guard lineup at times next year unless something changes. I fully expect Watson, Allen, and Johnson to be in the rotation. One of them is going to have to play off the ball a significant amount of time.
I guess as long as they can find a way to make it work defensively it shouldn't be a problem. I had in my head that 2 guards the 2 but obviously that doesn't have to be the case.

Nebraska's NBA draft hopefuls receive second-round feedback from advisory committee

LINCOLN — Feedback from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee on three Nebraska basketball players has shown some interest in each of them as a possible second-round draft pick, coach Tim Miles said Wednesday.

But that doesn’t mean any departure is imminent among seniors James Palmer and Isaac Copeland and junior Isaiah Roby.
(Roby did not file paperwork required to enter the NBA Draft)

Miles said he has spoken openly with Palmer and Copeland about their NBA chances.

“Both of them feel if they have a legitimate shot to get drafted in a spot where they look like they’re part of a franchise’s plan," Miles said, “it might be worthwhile to stay (in the draft).

“If not, they’ve indicated to me they want to come back and make Nebraska a winner."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-b...cle_3fe6c701-93ba-5703-a1a4-91725fad1bbd.html

That sounds promising. The more I think about it, it’s probably in Copeland’s best interest to come back. I’m not sure he was ever 100% last year. He could benefit from another year in Nebraska’s S&C program and access to the athletic doctors and trainers. He could probably work himself into a much better pro contract. He has the body type and skill-set to make decent amount of money overseas.

That sounds promising. The more I think about it, it’s probably in Copeland’s best interest to come back. I’m not sure he was ever 100% last year. He could benefit from another year in Nebraska’s S&C program and access to the athletic doctors and trainers. He could probably work himself into a much better pro contract. He has the body type and skill-set to make decent amount of money overseas.
Palmer for sure should come back. With some improvement he could get to round 1 fairly "easily".

Copeland....the "some interest as a POSSIBLE" 2nd round pick is a little sketchy but if he was legit round 2 I would say he should go. I heard that age has already been brought up for Khyri Thomas and he is the equivalent of a traditional Sr. (1 year prep) and I think Copeland is older right? How much higher can Copeland go? Not to rag on miles but it isn't like a guy like Copeland is going to have some drastic improvement in his system in a year...and he will be a year older. Might be worth going now imo. Maybe he gets the right situation. If he doesn't stick he can go d league or europe.

Palmer for sure should come back. With some improvement he could get to round 1 fairly "easily".

Copeland....the "some interest as a POSSIBLE" 2nd round pick is a little sketchy but if he was legit round 2 I would say he should go. I heard that age has already been brought up for Khyri Thomas and he is the equivalent of a traditional Sr. (1 year prep) and I think Copeland is older right? How much higher can Copeland go? Not to rag on miles but it isn't like a guy like Copeland is going to have some drastic improvement in his system in a year...and he will be a year older. Might be worth going now imo. Maybe he gets the right situation. If he doesn't stick he can go d league or europe.

If his dream is to play in the NBA, there’s no better time for Copeland to go than now. I’m looking at it from the standpoint that he’s not going to play in the NBA. If he’s looking to make money, he might be better off playing a season completely healthy in college and leveraging it overseas versus hanging around making pennies in D-League for a year and then going overseas. Again, it’s all speculation until you get in contracts and such, but I’m just saying what I would do, even if I played for say Iowa State instead of Nebraska. Of course, I have realistic expectations and the wisdom of a grown ass man. Hundreds of kids think that they are making the NBA every year.

If his dream is to play in the NBA, there’s no better time for Copeland to go than now. I’m looking at it from the standpoint that he’s not going to play in the NBA. If he’s looking to make money, he might be better off playing a season completely healthy in college and leveraging it overseas versus hanging around making pennies in D-League for a year and then going overseas. Again, it’s all speculation until you get in contracts and such, but I’m just saying what I would do, even if I played for say Iowa State instead of Nebraska. Of course, I have realistic expectations and the wisdom of a grown ass man. Hundreds of kids think that they are making the NBA every year.

I declare for the draft every year....

So true on the bold/last part. When high schoolers were allowed in the draft there were a lot of kids getting some horrible advice...mostly from the leaches around them. I hope they get rid of the 1 year college requirement....because I think it hurts the college game. BUT making these guys go to college for a 1 year reality check is beneficial for them IMO even though most people say it's unfair. Obviously, it's better for the NBA because they get to avoid some of the oopsies when the next "Lebron" goes to college and isn't as great as everyone thought.

Anyway, if Copeland is getting "2nd round" feedback it's going to be hard to get those NBA visions out of his head. He'll never be a star. But if he can find his niche...and that is the key for 95% of NBA players...he could have a nice career. Hell, Anthony Tolliver just wrapped up his 9th year and made $3.3M and the vast majority of basketball fans probably have no idea who he is. Not bad coin for a guy in his early 30s.

So true on the bold/last part. When high schoolers were allowed in the draft there were a lot of kids getting some horrible advice...mostly from the leaches around them. I hope they get rid of the 1 year college requirement....because I think it hurts the college game. BUT making these guys go to college for a 1 year reality check is beneficial for them IMO even though most people say it's unfair. Obviously, it's better for the NBA because they get to avoid some of the oopsies when the next "Lebron" goes to college and isn't as great as everyone thought.

Anyway, if Copeland is getting "2nd round" feedback it's going to be hard to get those NBA visions out of his head. He'll never be a star. But if he can find his niche...and that is the key for 95% of NBA players...he could have a nice career. Hell, Anthony Tolliver just wrapped up his 9th year and made $3.3M and the vast majority of basketball fans probably have no idea who he is. Not bad coin for a guy in his early 30s.
Look at the career Mikki Moore had. I never would have thought he would play in the NBA let alone as much as he did.

Great post Dash. Here in SoDak the news is constantly discussing the future of Daum. It seems at least once a week they do a story on him. Its laughable at best. Sure the kid is a good/great player in the Summit, but that means diddly. One of my good friends in college was Ben Woodside, who scored 60 in a game, put up 37 vs Kansas in the tournament, hit the game-winning shot to reach the tournament, all time leading scorer in NDSU history, etc etc. Dude was legit. He was also a 5'11" skinny white kid from Albert Lea MN. They put a 2nd round tag on him, but wasn't drafted. Went to summer league 2 or 3 times, but nothing ever materialized. Went overseas and had a fairly good career, just 'retired' last year as his ankles couldn't take it anymore. The one thing he always said to me about the guys at the next level were how athletic they were. Just something you couldn't teach. So many of those hundreds of kids don't realize that. Daum will be another one who should hope to have a good career overseas... nothing close to NBA athletic ability.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back