• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OWH Spring Previews: 8 'Prove It' Players/5 Senior Leader/5 Players To Emerge

From the link above...
These are the players who need to prove it. At Nebraska, there are several and — good news for them — they get a blank slate with a chance to prove it to a new staff.

The Huskers are coming off a 4-8 season. So few players can feel comfortable in their starting spots; after all, they didn’t win many games in those roles.

Players listed include:
OLB Alex Davis
OT Christian Gaylord
DE DaiShon Neal
DT Peyton Newell
OL John Raridon
OL Boe Wilson
RB Mikale Wilbon
RB Devine Ozigbo

What do you think? If some names above decide not to prove it, do they go elsewhere?

Did nt I read where Peyton Newell was transferring?
That's being "discussed", but I haven't seen anything official. Being a fifth year senior who probably has his degree, Newell becomes a prime candidate to help get the scholarship numbers back to 85 since NU is four over at 89.

I think Boe Wilson and Devine Ozigbo have pretty much done what they can with the opportunities they were given. Ozigbo seems to be the type of back that needs a little help to get beyond the line. There was little help. Boe Wilson makes a fine fullback... maybe they should try him on the offensive line? [/sarcasm]

Meh, some of these aren't really in prove it mode for me.. they've mostly already proven they can be rotational pieces (at best) but likely won't be "the" guy at their position. Wilbon is a prime example of that.

Like @HuSkaBob said though, I'm not sure I'd include Ozigbo or Wilson on this list. They seem to have at least shown glimpses in their opportunities.

If I understand Big Ten oversigning rules correctly (a big IF!), Nebraska had to notify the Big Ten that it believed it would have 64 players still on scholarship come this fall, leaving 21 recruiting openings and allowing Nebraska to sign 24 with the plus 3 rule. I also understand that Nebraska has to be 85 total scholarship players by this fall. I think this means that there are 65 players currently on scholarship who will have to "prove it" before fall, as at least four have to go before then.

I have to agree that we know what we have with wilbon and Ziggy. And Alex Davis also. I do think the whole o-line needs to be on that list. Most underwhelming part of team last year

I would think there are a lot more than 8, something closer to 80
I don't think this is unfair. All of the guys need to "prove it" to themselves, their teammates, and the new staff. Even multi-year starters should be looking in the mirror. The guys need to be honest with themselves about what happened last season. The coaches were held accountable and were let go. They players must also bear some responsibility. Which ones are going to hold themselves accountable? Which ones are going to expect their teammates to also show some accountability?

From the link above...

Players listed include:
OLB Alex Davis
OT Christian Gaylord
DE DaiShon Neal
DT Peyton Newell
OL John Raridon
OL Boe Wilson
RB Mikale Wilbon
RB Devine Ozigbo

What do you think? If some names above decide not to prove it, do they go elsewhere?
I think 8 other guys will do the proving and these guys, with the possible exceptions of Wilson and Raridon, will do the sitting.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back