• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Overthinking Overtime

Bigger Ed

XL Cranial Shield w/ Auxiliary Vision Enhancement
5 Year Member
AP
"The overtime process is really not broken," said Steve Shaw, the national coordinator of football officials. "It's just when you go beyond two (overtime possessions), it's too much."

It is broken or they wouldn't be thinking about it. If you reject the premises that 1. there is something inherently wrong with a tie and 2. current and proposed overtime remotely resemble football, the solution is easy: drop overtime altogether and accept that sometimes there is no clear winner.

The 2-point shootout idea is absurd. If you insist on overtime, play an extra 6 or 8 minute quarter. The score at the end of the 5th quarter stands, even if in a tie.

I'm fine with OT as it is now. Incredibly entertaining IMO. It requires defense, offense and special teams.

The only tweak I'd maybe go for...to reduce the multiple OT games...would be maybe no xtra points...go for 2 right out of the gate. But if they leave it completely alone I'm totally fine with it.

I can't stand the NFL overtime, I think both should get a chance.
I have a hard time getting upset that a defense can’t stop someone from going 75 yards. Maybe if it was college and the team started from the 25 and if they scored a TD it was over, I would be mad. I watched the Chiefs have about 20 yards of offense in the first half, then let the Patriots convert third and long over and over again in overtime, but Chiefs fans blame the OT rules.

The NFL OT is a product of people crying about player safety. So until people quit over emphasizing CTE and other things, that’s going to be tough to change.

1st OT: Start at the 30
2nd OT: Start at the 40 (must go for 2)
3rd OT: Start at the 50 (must go for 2)

Probably not too popular but it would help to solve the problem.
I have a hard time getting upset that a defense can’t stop someone from going 75 yards. Maybe if it was college and the team started from the 25 and if they scored a TD it was over, I would be mad. I watched the Chiefs have about 20 yards of offense in the first half, then let the Patriots convert third and long over and over again in overtime, but Chiefs fans blame the OT rules.

The NFL OT is a product of people crying about player safety. So until people quit over emphasizing CTE and other things, that’s going to be tough to change.
The Chiefs game is exactly why the NFL overtime rules don't work. Does anyone doubt that the Chiefs would have scored had they won the toss?

Maybe this is an oversimplified answer, but all you have to do is force the second team to go for the win. If team A gets a field goal then team B needs a touchdown to win. If A gets a TD and extra Point team B has to have a touchdown and a 2 point conversion. I don't know if its smart but it should limit extended overtimes.

I don’t like NFL version either but don’t think anyone should complain. Their team had the chance to win in regulation. This coming from a Chiefs fan

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back