1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Overthinking Overtime

Discussion in 'Football' started by Bigger Ed, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Bigger Ed

Bigger Ed Red Shirt

AP
    It is broken or they wouldn't be thinking about it. If you reject the premises that 1. there is something inherently wrong with a tie and 2. current and proposed overtime remotely resemble football, the solution is easy: drop overtime altogether and accept that sometimes there is no clear winner.

The 2-point shootout idea is absurd. If you insist on overtime, play an extra 6 or 8 minute quarter. The score at the end of the 5th quarter stands, even if in a tie.

2. One Hit Wonder

One Hit Wonder Recruit

1st OT: Start at the 30
    2nd OT: Start at the 40 (must go for 2)
    3rd OT: Start at the 50 (must go for 2)

Probably not too popular but it would help to solve the problem.

3. Show Me State Red

Show Me State Red Recruit

I would agree with this. Give the teams time to play both sides of the ball.

4. ShortSideOption

ShortSideOption All Big 10 10 Year Member

Nothing wrong with overtime in college or NFL.

Sonny, Roadrunner, huskrthill and 2 others like this.
  5. bilsker

bilsker Tom Osborne 15 Year Member

I'm fine with OT as it is now. Incredibly entertaining IMO. It requires defense, offense and special teams.

The only tweak I'd maybe go for...to reduce the multiple OT games...would be maybe no xtra points...go for 2 right out of the gate. But if they leave it completely alone I'm totally fine with it.

6. bilsker

bilsker Tom Osborne 15 Year Member

I'm not thrilled with the NFL version. But if they went the college route it would just end up being a FG kicking contest...hell, NFL games already are.

7. ksuhusker

ksuhusker In a tree somewhere 5 Year Member

I can't stand the NFL overtime, I think both should get a chance.

8. ShortSideOption

I have a hard time getting upset that a defense can’t stop someone from going 75 yards. Maybe if it was college and the team started from the 25 and if they scored a TD it was over, I would be mad. I watched the Chiefs have about 20 yards of offense in the first half, then let the Patriots convert third and long over and over again in overtime, but Chiefs fans blame the OT rules.

The NFL OT is a product of people crying about player safety. So until people quit over emphasizing CTE and other things, that’s going to be tough to change.

canadianhusker likes this.
  9. Show Me State Red

The Chiefs game is exactly why the NFL overtime rules don't work. Does anyone doubt that the Chiefs would have scored had they won the toss?

10. Lurker44

Lurker44 Recruit

Only time I hate OT is if it’s the game before the Huskers on the same channel.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  11. Trapped in Iowa

Trapped in Iowa Deadite 5 Year Member

Maybe this is an oversimplified answer, but all you have to do is force the second team to go for the win. If team A gets a field goal then team B needs a touchdown to win. If A gets a TD and extra Point team B has to have a touchdown and a 2 point conversion. I don't know if its smart but it should limit extended overtimes.

Bluffsker likes this.
  12. ShortSideOption

Lol. Stop.

13. Lurker44

Lurker44 Recruit

I don’t like NFL version either but don’t think anyone should complain. Their team had the chance to win in regulation. This coming from a Chiefs fan

14. Show Me State Red

I know. I regret saying anything. I had silently calmed my rage and the OP knocked me out of my coma.

Hville likes this.
  15. Show Me State Red

I agree. Too many missed opportunities and the Patriots made plays to the end.