• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Our next five opponents

I don't want him back even if he won out. It's more than time to move on.

If this team wins out, I'll take Riley back because something will have had to dramatically change. Flipped the switch, gelled, got it, bought in, whatever cliche applies. 5-0 down the stretch and he's earned another year.

I think we win the against Purdue, NW and Minnesota. I don't think we beat PSU, but we do get them at the end of their tough stretch against Michigan, OSU and MSU. That could make a difference in how they play. Iowa is a real toss up. Lately I think Iowa has wanted it more than Nebraska.

I am not so sure MR is gone like others seem to think he is. If this team really shows improvement over the last 5 games, which is very possible, and finishes 4-1 I think all bets are off.
I agree and think that is reasonable. It does seem like every single thread is a prediction on the season rather than the game at hand which is fine it just gets old . We were having trouble beating Minnesota under the previous staff and Purdue definitely looked much improved before Saturday. I’m looking forward to seeing how the team responds and if there is player development as the year finishes out.

If this team wins out, I'll take Riley back because something will have had to dramatically change. Flipped the switch, gelled, got it, bought in, whatever cliche applies. 5-0 down the stretch and he's earned another year.
Not me. It would be dumb luck. He can't coach a lick. Pretty evident 20 years ago and very evident now that he coaches the Huskers. Time to move on. That said, we won't have to worry about that happening.

Not me. It would be dumb luck. He can't coach a lick. Pretty evident 20 years ago and very evident now that he coaches the Huskers. Time to move on. That said, we won't have to worry about that happening.

The only person more shocked than either one of us if he finds a way to win out would be Riley himself, but until they lose one I'll say it's a possibility.

The only person more shocked than either one of us if he finds a way to win out would be Riley himself, but until they lose one I'll say it's a possibility.
Sure it's possible. 4 of the 5 teams NU plays are very similar to NU. Average to bad teams. I guess he could get lucky. Not likely though, but even Riley has found a nut or two.

Last edited:
Sure it's possible. 4 of the 5 teams NU plays are very similar to NU. Average to bad teams. I guess he could get lucky. Not likely though, but even Riley has found a nut or two.

Winning out will take more nuts than he's found in his career. It's going to take real improvement that produces results on the field. Seriously. No way NU lucks into a 5-0 finish. No way.

Neither was urban until he got to Florida. Texas will be strong soon enough.
All these teams will "be back soon" cause they are in fertile recruiting grounds. Nebraska will always have an uphill battle in recruiting due to location so it will always be harder for us to get back and stay back.

Winning out will take more nuts than he's found in his career. It's going to take real improvement that produces results on the field. Seriously. No way NU lucks into a 5-0 finish. No way.
They aren't beatin Penn State. It will take everything to not get beat by 40.

All these teams will "be back soon" cause they are in fertile recruiting grounds. Nebraska will always have an uphill battle in recruiting due to location so it will always be harder for us to get back and stay back.
Just gonna take someone who knows what's going on, and also wins. Plenty of players will travel. Winning will take care of much.

Just gonna take someone who knows what's going on, and also wins. Plenty of players will travel. Winning will take care of much.
Not disagreeing but if "all things are equal" where will MOST prospect go? Nebraska? or Florida, California, Texas, etc? OSU can't even be used as an example of a "cold" state getting great prospects cause they have TONS to pick from. Same with Mechicken, PSU, etc. Nebraska is a cold, bland state with very few local prospects. Nebraska will always be behind the proverbial 8 ball as it come sto location and recruiting. I do agree, a great coach can get them here though.

Based on what I saw on Saturday, four of our five remaining regular season games are very winnable. I was getting to the point where I would have considered beating Purdue a long shot, but they just lost to Rutgers. Minnesota was tied at home with a dreadful Illinois team late in the fourth quarter. Iowa and Northwestern both looked awful on offense in a game that was 10-10 at the end of regulation.

IF we can get out of our own way and IF the players decide that they still want to compete, there is no reason we can't beat all four of those teams. I realize those may be big if's, but these are four pretty bad football teams. If we can match the intensity and execution we had in the Illinois game, I think we win all four of those games.

Penn State is an entirely different story. I don't see any scenario where we even play them close. The Ohio State beat down may look tame in comparison to this one. Penn State will basically be able to name the score. They just put up 42 on a very good Michigan defense, so I shudder to think what they might do against Diaco's scheme.

Bottom line... the team and this coaching staff have a real opportunity to finish 4-1. Anything short of that would make it very hard to justify retaining Riley and company, because it means we would have at least one more bad loss.
Seven wins would certainly be enough this year!

We have been historically horrible in the latter part of the season (except the season where we won out with Pelini). We usually have that nasty 2-3 stretch or 1-2 stretch in October/November. We had that at the beginning of the year this year. I'm not sure what to expect now. All I know is that Penn St will be embarrassing....every other game should be a W, anything less is a failure.

With regard to the OP: The first four games were also "winnable". Of the remaining "winnable" games, I expect about the same results.

The fact that we have fallen to the point where we even have to worry about classifying certain games as "winnable" speaks volumes. It wasn't all that long ago when every game was "winnable" and the top 2 or 3 opponents on the schedule were simply "difficult" or "challenging". Going into this season, most people had written off the Ohio St. and Penn St. games... and that was before NU's early season implosion.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back