• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OT Omaha Central BB Coach Resigns

Crazy. Beherens was a year or two away from getting a bigger/better gig, either as a head coach or assistant, and then he goes back to high school...

Correct. Or LPS, or any other school setting where just showing up and doing nothing will result in passing a kid. And when a coach tries to have stricter standards open borders allow a kid to go where he won't be held as accountable. Omaha Bryan had 23 kids out for football last year. 23 in the entire program. Close the borders, make kids responsible for their grades, and prepare them. Has to be a top down approach, a coach isn't changing that.

I have no problem with any of this. There will always be parents that just up and move though.

I have no problem with any of this. There will always be parents that just up and move though.
And I'd be fine with that to be honest. If you are going to pack up and move, that's different to me than just picking and choosing where you want to go. As a business guy, I get so mad driving past Central and seeing 50 buses lined up and since you can choose where you want to go to school, sometimes those will only have one or two people on it.

And I'd be fine with that to be honest. If you are going to pack up and move, that's different to me than just picking and choosing where you want to go. As a business guy, I get so mad driving past Central and seeing 50 buses lined up and since you can choose where you want to go to school, sometimes those will only have one or two people on it.

Packing up and moving has its consequences too. Basically how Millard grew a long time ago. White flight.

So, I move to a town and pick the "good district", so am I guilty of propetuating "white flight" that took place decades ago? So many issues with education and sports are only a small fraction of it.

Correct. Or LPS, or any other school setting where just showing up and doing nothing will result in passing a kid. And when a coach tries to have stricter standards open borders allow a kid to go where he won't be held as accountable. Omaha Bryan had 23 kids out for football last year. 23 in the entire program. Close the borders, make kids responsible for their grades, and prepare them. Has to be a top down approach, a coach isn't changing that.

Not sure what is really going on with 'no child left behind' but hard to close the borders if the school the student is at is not doing well.

Expanding Public School Choice:

• Under the No Child Left Behind Act, children in schools in need of improvement must be given the opportunity to transfer to other public schools in their district, including public charter schools, and school districts are required to tell parents about this option, as well as pay for transportation to the other schools. During the 2006-2007 school year almost 120,000 eligible students took advantage of this option.

Not sure what is really going on with 'no child left behind' but hard to close the borders if the school the student is at is not doing well.

Expanding Public School Choice:

• Under the No Child Left Behind Act, children in schools in need of improvement must be given the opportunity to transfer to other public schools in their district, including public charter schools, and school districts are required to tell parents about this option, as well as pay for transportation to the other schools. During the 2006-2007 school year almost 120,000 eligible students took advantage of this option.
This is not an automatic "out" for athletes, at least in Texas. We had a basketball player at a school where I used to work who tried going this route several years ago. He tried to transfer to another school in the district that had a better basketball team. He claimed he wanted to transfer his senior year because of academics (at the time, we were In Need of Improvement). The real reason is that he did not receive the MVP award after his junior season, and he was ticked off.

The University Interscholastic League, the athletic governing body in Texas, and a group that is very powerful, determined that he was transferring for athletic purposes. They said he could transfer and not participate in athletics, or he could stay at our school and be eligible for athletics. He stayed and did not participate his senior year.

This is not an automatic "out" for athletes, at least in Texas. We had a basketball player at a school where I used to work who tried going this route several years ago. He tried to transfer to another school in the district that had a better basketball team. He claimed he wanted to transfer his senior year because of academics (at the time, we were In Need of Improvement). The real reason is that he did not receive the MVP award after his junior season, and he was ticked off.

The University Interscholastic League, the athletic governing body in Texas, and a group that is very powerful, determined that he was transferring for athletic purposes. They said he could transfer and not participate in athletics, or he could stay at our school and be eligible for athletics. He stayed and did not participate his senior year.

That was smart thinking, I am surprised however that someone didn't sue.

That was smart thinking, I am surprised however that someone didn't sue.
The mother could have sought an injunction, but I think she dropped it for two reasons. First, it would have cost a lot of money, and second, the UIL usually does not lose court cases. As I said earlier, they are very powerful.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back