• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OT Omaha Central BB Coach Resigns

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Not sure how/if this affects Huskers going forward? Maybe some of you Omaha gurus have some ideas.

Last edited:

Sucks for a school I follow closely... if they think they can do better let's see it. Coaches around the state take notice that both guys heading the two biggest sports resigned this year.

Sucks for a school I follow closely... if they think they can do better let's see it. Coaches around the state take notice that both guys heading the two biggest sports resigned this year.

Was he pressured by Admin or is he doing something different and it was his own choice?

Again, trying to put the pieces together from what i've heard, but if someone says you are underachieving and you think you aren't, it may be best just to part ways because a year you do underachieve in both peoples eyes it won't end well.

Again, that's kind of what i'm gathering from various things i've been told.

Again, trying to put the pieces together from what i've heard, but if someone says you are underachieving and you think you aren't, it may be best just to part ways because a year you do underachieve in both peoples eyes it won't end well.

Again, that's kind of what i'm gathering from various things i've been told.

There is and always have been a lot of talent at Central, I guess I can kind of see the under achieving comments, whether I agree with them or not. Mostly football wise.

There is and always have been a lot of talent at Central, I guess I can kind of see the under achieving comments, whether I agree with them or not. Mostly football wise.
Omaha North putting up a board where they recruit the top 3 players at each middle school and promoting their assistant coaches to ref football/basketball games of middle schoolers was the demise of Omaha Central football with a head coach that refused to take part in that. Their talent dropped off at an unbelievable rate. The new coach will out-recruit Omaha North... his coaching may not be enough though. I don't believe Central underachieved in football, their talent was awful. Their basketball team only had one guy on varsity that played football and that's because he's a legends son. They gotta rectify that.

Last time for clarity: That was all in reference to football

Last edited:

Omaha North putting up a board where they recruit the top 3 players at each middle school and promoting their assistant coaches to ref football/basketball games of middle schoolers was the demise of Omaha Central football with a head coach that refused to take part in that. Their talent dropped off at an unbelievable rate. The new coach will out-recruit Omaha North... his coaching may not be enough though. I don't believe Central underachieved in football, their talent was awful. Their basketball team only had one guy on varsity that played football and that's because he's a legends son. They gotta rectify that.

Last time for clarity: That was all in reference to football

Being from Fremont I obviously don't know all the stuff that goes on in the metro, but for years (reference I graduated in 1988) Central had outstanding talent. With open enrollment and the movement of NOrth and South improving facilities and recruiting it was/is going to be tough for any school (other than Prep) to stay on top for ever. For clarity I never have/will like Prep. I still think that central with an enrollment of over 2000 students should do more than they are. Sure not going to argue though not being in and around the program.

Let's say that Miles goes on to have a good year next year and finally gets the ball rolling. A new coach could help reset relationships with the school. Even if Nebraska changes coaches next year, it will still give Nebraska a fresh start.

Whomever the new coach is, I hope there is more of a focus on academics. I know Miles catches a lot of flak for not recruiting Omaha more. That's fair, but a lot of those Central kids have struggled to qualify over the years, too.

Let's say that Miles goes on to have a good year next year and finally gets the ball rolling. A new coach could help reset relationships with the school. Even if Nebraska changes coaches next year, it will still give Nebraska a fresh start.

Whomever the new coach is, I hope there is more of a focus on academics. I know Miles catches a lot of flak for not recruiting Omaha more. That's fair, but a lot of those Central kids have struggled to qualify over the years, too.
That's an OPS problem, not a Central problem. Central just had the good players to bring it to light. With "the learning community" and "no child left behind" where students can literally not fail their class if they show up despite not turning a single thing in all year, that's an issue. They won't be eligible for NCAA. Way too many kids graduating with .5 GPAs because they can't be failed.

New coach most likely coming from the Omaha area so until Miles is gone not much that will be repaired.

Last edited:
Not trying to be adversarial, but then as I understand it, even if Miles were to be gone, say after next year, and a new coach were to repair the relationship, we would still get kids from OPS (including Central) that have trouble qualifying?

Last edited:

So as I understand it, even if Miles were to be gone, say after next year, and a new coach were to repair the relationship, we would still get kids from OPS (including Central) that have trouble qualifying?
Correct. Or LPS, or any other school setting where just showing up and doing nothing will result in passing a kid. And when a coach tries to have stricter standards open borders allow a kid to go where he won't be held as accountable. Omaha Bryan had 23 kids out for football last year. 23 in the entire program. Close the borders, make kids responsible for their grades, and prepare them. Has to be a top down approach, a coach isn't changing that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back