• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OT Jimmy Fritzsche from South Carolina is N and Signed!

Sounds like Clemson gave him too many mixed signals and we did not. I'm good with that. Another huge get! We are building solid lines on both sides of the ball. A TE converted to OT fits the SF plan. He's looking for quick, lean O line that won't tire with a fast paced O play.

Though it ultimately will have no impact on his ability or production, the Clemson offer makes this feel like a more significant recruiting win.

He got his offer on his way to an official visit with another school. I'm sure Arizona wasn't too happy when they heard that but such is life.
Yep, they offered Fritzsche and Boateng around the same time. My thoughts are Fritzsche didn't pull the trigger right away so they went and offered Boateng in an effort to speed the process up with Fritzsche, but he didn't flip.

By the way, looking at Boateng's twitter timeline, I wouldn't be too happy losing Fritzsche for Boateng.

Yep, they offered Fritzsche and Boateng around the same time. My thoughts are Fritzsche didn't pull the trigger right away so they went and offered Boateng in an effort to speed the process up with Fritzsche, but he didn't flip.

By the way, looking at Boateng's twitter timeline, I wouldn't be too happy losing Fritzsche for Boateng.

Why is that? I'm illiterate when it comes to deciphering Twitter haha.

Clemson also signed four star Putnam... maybe they did back off. But I still think they knew they had an uphill battle with Fritzsche so took Boateng.

LOL so true. Remember we almost chased our current coach away in 96 cuz he lost two games as a QB.
How do you define "almost chased him away"? Get real.
You forgot to quote the part where "we" almost "chased him away".

I don't think saying that we almost chased him away in '96 is implausible. I'm not saying that he was ever going to drop out in '96 and leave, but he referenced it so often during the spring coaches' clinic that it clearly affected him and he still thinks about it often. It's not hard to imagine an under-loved Nebraska QB leaving Nebraska with bitterness and no longer wanting to be associated with it. Not only has he not forgotten it, I think that it is always in the back of his mind how fickle our fans can/will be. He knows that the same people who loved him when they hired him will call for his head shortly afterwards. If he wins a championship, there will be those who want to fire him the next year if they don't repeat.

Frost comes across as an incredibly grounded, wise man, and the experiences that he had of getting beat around on scout team in '95 (because he had gone to Stanford first), of feeling the heat from fans and teammates over his role in the whole Phillips meltdown, the experience with the fans hating him in '96 for being starting QB when they lost twice. The boos and and hatred of early '97 still affects (and even directs) how he uses QBs today. He will never put one of his QBs in that scenario, he has said, and he's made it plain that that was why.

Last edited:
I don't think saying that we almost chased him away in '96 is implausible. I'm not saying that he was ever going to drop out in '96 and leave, but he referenced it so often during the spring coaches' clinic that it clearly affected him and he still thinks about it often. It's not hard to imagine an under-loved Nebraska QB leaving Nebraska with bitterness and no longer wanting to be associated with it. Not only has he not forgotten it, I think that it is always in the back of his mind how fickle our fans can/will be. He knows that the same people who loved him when they hired him will call for his head shortly afterwards. If he wins a championship, there will be those who want to fire him the next year if they don't repeat.

Frost comes across as an incredibly grounded, wise man, and the experiences that he had of getting beat around on scout team in '95 (because he had gone to Stanford first), of feeling the heat from fans and teammates over his role in the whole Phillips meltdown, and that experience with the fans hating him in early '96 still affects (and even directs) how he uses QBs today. He will never put one of his QBs in that scenario, he has said, and he's made it plain that that was why.
Actually, the hate for Scott Frost, because he'd chosen Stanford out of high school, extended into his Senior year when he was booed during the 1997 Central Florida (kismet) game. Thankfully, SF shut up those clowns for good the following week at Washington.

Last edited:
Actually, the hate for Scott Frost, because he'd chosen Stanford out of high school, extended into his Senior year when he was booed during the 1997 Central Florida (kismet) game. Thankfully, SF shut up those clowns for good the following week at Washington.

Pretty sure the fan reaction was bad enough to kill some Husker football fandom in my household. Absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing action from "The greatest fans in college football".

You're right, I edited something out before I posted it, so I just went back and edited it. I was describing the '97 UCF game, where I said "early '96."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back