• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

One solution to college bb's mess

I believe a student-athlete has the right to their namesake. If they want to sell their autograph or sell signed basketballs on eBay, let them. If a shoe or clothing manufacturer wants to sign them to a contract, let them.

99% of athletes aren’t going to make a single dime playing sports after their student-athlete experience. They are all being paid. If you count the fully loaded scholarship amount (including training table and apparel), many are probably making more money than they will at their entry level job outside of college. They are starting a debt free life, they just don’t get it up front.

Get rid of the one-and-done NBA rule and ease up on the if you declare you can’t come back stipulation. If they don’t get drafted they can go play in Europe if go to college.

I dont like it at all. I would be done watching college sports if this happened.
The change in Olympics was a good point I thought. Things are just different. Really the answer is probably to stop having big time athletics be part of colleges. Let them be separate leagues. But that isn't going to happen.

:Thumbsdown:

If this gets done then I say stop all athletic scholarships and just let the agents pay the pro-student/athletes way through school. I won't be watching though as I don't watch or care about pro sports as it is and that's all it would be.

Last edited:
I don't think a separate league in football would work so well, though it is being proposed I think. But in basketball maybe there should be an 8 team league or something that is pro for 18-21 year olds. I know Lavar Ball has said something like that. Though he is an idiot. The G league wouldn't cut it. Something more.

:Thumbsdown:

If this gets done then I say stop all athletic scholarships and just let the agents pay the pro-student/athletes way through school. I won't be watching though as I don't watch or care about pro sports as it is and that's all it would be.

Serious question. Is open pro sports worse then corrupt amateur sports? College BB has had this open secret for a long time. The NCAA is toothless. FBI now cares for some reason. But it is slimy when done this way. Maybe free market would be better, more open. There would still be plenty of student athletes. Not all would be paid a lot. Wouldn't change what is already going on. Same schools good, same schools get best recruits, etc. Just more openly and without making people crooks.

The "Let's just pay them argument" is very poorly thought out. Let's say that colleges decide to pay players. How much would they get? Do you set limits for how much a kid gets, so universities flush with cash can't buy the best talent and leave everyone else behind?

Even if they decide to pay players, what would that be? If colleges start paying players, even giving them fifty to one hundred thousand dollars. All you've done is readjusted the baseline. That still doesn't stop the bagmen from offering an additional amount to recruit them. You'd have to be throwing out a ton of money as a player salary to downplay the booster influence, IMO.

The "Let's just pay them argument" is very poorly thought out. Let's say that colleges decide to pay players. How much would they get? Do you set limits for how much a kid gets, so universities flush with cash can't buy the best talent and leave everyone else behind?

Even if they decide to pay players, what would that be? If colleges start paying players, even giving them fifty to one hundred thousand dollars. All you've done is readjusted the baseline. That still doesn't stop the bagmen from offering an additional amount to recruit them. You'd have to be throwing out a ton of money as a player salary to downplay the booster influence, IMO.
The writer of the article is proposing individual players get what they're worth, not that all players get the same. So under his proposal your concern wouldn't be a problem. College teams would essentially become professional teams though, not a pretty picture. And of course small-market Nebraska would suffer.

I think he's right though that as long as you stick to the current system you will have corruption because there's simply to much to gain. And arguably it's not fair to top players to have to accept so much less than their economic value.

I can think of a simple way to eliminate corruption and make sure college sports remain amateur: quit televising games.

Serious question. Is open pro sports worse then corrupt amateur sports? College BB has had this open secret for a long time. The NCAA is toothless. FBI now cares for some reason. But it is slimy when done this way. Maybe free market would be better, more open. There would still be plenty of student athletes. Not all would be paid a lot. Wouldn't change what is already going on. Same schools good, same schools get best recruits, etc. Just more openly and without making people crooks.

1st off; I don't know or care if there is a difference. As I stated, I don't care for the pro's and so I won't watch semi-pros/amateur-pros either.

I think schools should get the death penalty for paid player violations and all games involving those players should be for-fitted. The players in violation should be kicked out of school; never to be allowed to return for any reason and in some way not be allowed to enter the NBA for at least 3 years. If they have already moved on to the NBA they should have to pay back everything they earned from their scholarships (I know it may be a drop in the bucket after the fact). This all needs to be explained to prospective and active student athletes and they need to sign off that they understand.

Any boosters involved should be banned from ever having anything to do with that school ever again. Agent violations should result in not being allowed to represent players from that school (in fact their licenses should be revoked) and have fines levied against them.

Now I don't know if any of this would work but something needs to be done to stop it and paying them to be semi-pros/amateur-pros or what ever they would be called is not the answer.

One other thing; are they going to pay college volleyball, bowling, rifle, curling, ETC, athletes as well? Where does it stop?

Last edited:
They are all being paid. If you count the fully loaded scholarship amount

So are academic scholarship students and no agents are trying to pay them. They have to wait till after graduation to earn a living and the same should hold true for student athletes.

i would like to see a return of players being able to return to school, drafted or not. larry bird was drafted in 1978, played another year at indiana state before beginning his career with the celtics 1979. this could obviously allow a player not drafted to return to school. euro players are drafted all the time before they intend to play in the states (dario saric, bogdan bogdanavic..) the NFL also has a long history (since abandoned) of players being drafted before college eligibility is up (bob hayes..) not to mention drafting players with military commitments (roger stabauch, napoleon mccallum, chad jennings..) or from other leagues(Hershel walker, jim kelly, reggie white, bo jackson...) what about baseball, hockey? changing this could fix a lot of problems in my eyes.

Last edited:

Listening to the radio just now and some very good questions were asked. Why are all these violations found and reported by Yahoo and others; now the FBI. Where is the NCAA? Why aren't they doing their job? It's because sports and tournaments are their cash cow. They don't want to hurt their money flow. If they were doing their job correctly a lot of these violations would be caught early and handled immediately and correctly. The NCAA needs to be gone as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I haven't been a big fan of paying college athletes, or at least opening it to a free market. But I think this article is close to changing my mind. Read it through. See what you think. It's probably time.

www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-is-broken-and-heres-the-only-way-the-ncaa-can-fix-the-sport/
This column is pure trash and we are all dumber for having read it.

If they were to go that direction then what is the point of college sports at that point?

His example...if John Doe signed with Agent X and Agent X secured a deal with Nike and Nike decided John Doe should play at Duke what's the problem? Texasing seriously? Why have duke involved at all? Why not just have Nike Charlotte and Nike Detroit and Nike Omaha or whatever? Why involve the schools AT ALL at that point? Then he says that local businesses can pay whatever? Totally insane if you want to "save the college game" which is what that fool thinks his proposal does. It ENDS the college game.

The reality is this "epidemic" is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Make no mistake, it is ugly and needs to be fixed. There are 350 D1 teams. 13 scholarships each. That's about 4500 scholarship D1 bball players. How many are involved in these schenanigans every year? 10...20...50? Not many more really. So we are going to trash one of the great american traditions because 50 guys really should be going some other route? Hell no.

BUT there is an easy fix. Let the High School kids declare for the draft...if they don't get drafted or don't like the deal then they can go to college...where they won't be eligible for the draft until they've been in college 3 years. Basically the baseball model. But once you decide to attend college YOU PLAY BY THE RULES or the player and the program will be punished (moreso the program obviously). It will take the NCAA growing a pair of balls and actually enforcing this s---. People will always cheat to get ahead so that won't ever change but the NCAA has basically been turning a blind eye to this stuff that every fan with any sense knows is messed up.

Don't sign and still don't want to go to college? Don't. Go to Europe. Join Lamar Ball's new league. Try again next year. I'd be perfectly fine getting rid of the 50 or so guys every year who think they are 1 and done. The college game wouldn't miss them. It was just fine when HS'ers could enter the draft. In fact, it was better...because you didn't have Kentucky. Hell, as successful as they are I wouldn't want NU or CU to follow that model AT ALL. No thanks.

I hope some of these coaches are nailed to the wall....criminally. Serve notice to Coach Cal, Izzo, K and the rest...is prison worth it? Texas 'em.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back