• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ole Miss

I'm curious where you're coming from here. You think they would have joined the Big 12 over Baylor or someone else? Or you think another big conference would have snagged them? Or a third option I guess, the SWC never collapses?
I'm not saying anything. When the SWC collapsed, they were no where near recovering from that death penalty. After that, they really had no chance to get back to respectable. They've been wallering in abyss for 3+ decades. It's a good school, so I'm sure the big 12 may have been interested in them as much as they were Baylor when they formed the league. 20/20 I reckon looking back.

I'm not saying anything. When the SWC collapsed, they were no where near recovering from that death penalty. After that, they really had no chance to get back to respectable. They've been wallering in abyss for 3+ decades. It's a good school, so I'm sure the big 12 may have been interested in them as much as they were Baylor when they formed the league. 20/20 I reckon looking back.

My question would be, are they really "wallering" in abyss since probation compared to what they were before cheating? I suppose at some point I'm gonna have to look this up, just too lazy right now. I'm not sure how SMU benefits the Big 12 with having UT, Baylor, TCU, and TTU in conference already. But, the Big 12 isn't exactly a well run operation so maybe they would have been interested.

Last edited:
They aren't getting the death penalty. I don't think that will ever happen again, barring something crazy, (SMU still hasn't recovered 32 years later). They WILL get some additional penalties though. Scholarship losses for sure. Additional bowl band prolly.
It will happen again, everyone eventually needs a reminder.

I don't know that I'd say "never" but agree it's highly unlikely. As for SMU, I guess it's a matter of perspective. What kind of a program were they before they started cheating like they did? Could the argument be made that they simply went on as they were prior to rampant cheating? I honestly don't really know what they were like as a program prior to that.
This is totally true. They were one of the smallest schools in D1 at the time. The cheating caused them to play way WAY above what they normally would have.

My question would be, are they really "wallering" in abyss since probation compared to what they were before cheating? I suppose at some point I'm gonna have to look this up, just too lazy right now. I'm not sure how SMU benefits the Big 12 with having UT, Baylor, TCU, and TTU in conference already. But, the Big 12 isn't exactly a well run operation so maybe they would have been interested.
The Big 12 never thought big, they just got into bed with the state of Texas on the first date. Doomed from the get go. Again, Osborne warned, no one listened.

I also meant, when the confrence initially was formed, not now with SMU. They were ranked 30th in all time wins from 1869-1985. Not bad. Since, we'll, pretty bad, 33% win rate, and good for 110th best.

Last edited:
From 70-79 there best record was 7-4. 60s were about the same. They started to look good in 80 got the death penalty in 86. They started their slush fund in the mid 70s.
The most serious violation was the maintenance of a slush fund used for "under the table" payments to players from the mid-1970s through 1986. This culminated in the NCAA handing down the so-called "death penalty" by canceling SMU's entire 1987 schedule. SMU was allowed to return for an abbreviated 1988 season, but opted to sit that season out as well after school officials determined it would be impossible to field a viable team.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Methodist_University_football_scandal

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back