• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"old rival to the south called it something else"

Last edited:
Coach Held talked about it also, in the HOL video Navythomas posted in his Monday Press Conference thread. He talked about the "Oklahoma Drill" and how it was different..

I didn't get what Frost / Held mentioned... something like 3 levels? more space between palyers minimizing injury from rolling up.
It’s just three collisions on three levels where you are helmet to helmet with each other. Takes the “heavy hitting” out of it. 6 guys (3 o 3 d) and a ball carrier. There’s a tweet of it, I’ll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
It’s just three collisions on three levels where you are helmet to helmet with each other. Takes the “heavy hitting” out of it. 6 guys (3 o 3 d) and a ball carrier. There’s a tweet of it, I’ll see if I can find it.

Thanks ***. When I watched it before I wasn't quit sure what they were doing. This cleared it up. :thumbsup:

I like how when one group of 6 is done the next group is right out there. It looks like a lot of hustle is going on. :Rockon:

We had 'meat grinders'. One OL versus One DL between cones. One RB. One LB. Find daylight between the cones. RB should never cross LOS if you play DL position correctly.

This is another good one to reduce the collision impact but also get your players used to not letting the ball get any further after contact. Always drives me nuts when defenders think they did a good job but it took them 4 yards to get the guy down. We will run this one from time to time, Chinander likes it.

Two other fun drills we had relative to meatgrinders:

(1) Sideline Drill = one RB at the hash versus one Safety on hash opposite of offense with one WR opposite one DB facing off at the LOS. RB has to get through set of cones between numbers and sideline. WR mixes up who he will block, forcing defenders to play smart. RB is allowed to throw to WR as long as he hasn't crossed LOS. The caveat is the defense can attack regardless of position of cones. Players get creative and your team wises up against teams running sweeps.

(2) Goal-line = One RB versus one defender. In meatgrinders the RB starts either on his back or from kneeling on ground. In goal-line the RB gets a quick pitch at whistle. The defender can attack at the whistle. In college we had about twenty feet between cones. With youth the cones need to be narrowed. The drill teaches aggression to attack the RB at the belt-line. Failure to be aggressive leaves one open to the RB getting a burst of acceleration, cut backs, bulldozing, etc.

I forgot to mention, losers in drills do five (5) pushups. It's not difficult and takes no time. And they don't block the drill doing pushups. You see players quickly feeling wins and losses have consequences.

Last edited:

Two other fun drills we had relative to meatgrinders:

(1) Sideline Drill = one RB at the hash versus one Safety on hash opposite of offense with one WR opposite one DB facing off at the LOS. RB has to get through set of cones between numbers and sideline. WR mixes up who he will block, forcing defenders to play smart. RB is allowed to throw to WR as long as he hasn't crossed LOS. The caveat is the defense can attack regardless of position of cones. Players get creative and your team wises up against teams running sweeps.

(2) Goal-line = One RB versus one defender. In meatgrinders the RB starts either on his back or from kneeling on ground. In goal-line the RB gets a quick pitch at whistle. The defender can attack at the whistle. In college we had about twenty feet between cones. With youth the cones need to be narrowed. The drill teaches aggression to attack the RB at the belt-line. Failure to be aggressive leaves one open to the RB getting a burst of acceleration, cut backs, bulldozing, etc.

I forgot to mention, losers in drills do five (5) pushups. It's not difficult and takes no time. And they don't block the drill doing pushups. You see players quickly feeling wins and losses have consequences.
Again we use the push ups as a punishment for poor form tackles that could lead to injuries. Lead with your head push ups, tackle high push ups.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back