• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OKLAHOMA

giphy.webp

Last edited:

Annual would be too big a commitment, but it would be cool if they could do something with regularity to update the tradtion, acknowledge that when Nebraska is good again that there are two storied programs in the great plains, but do something that isn't already out there?

What about scheduling alternate home and away games but skipping every other year? Or have a game every three years? For example, 2025 its at OU, 2027 at NU, 2029 at OU, etc. That would let it become regular, and a tradition, but special in its own way because it would be unique.

Every player would get to play them at least twice. If you lost, you'd have to wait 2 years to get another shot at them, which would make it even more meaningful. And only every four years would it be at the same stadium, which would make the atmosphere even more electric.

Last edited:
Sooners

Only team to actually be named after cheaters.

Sooners who crossed into the territory illegally at night were originally called "moonshiners" because they had entered "by the light of the moon." These Sooners would hide in ditches at night and suddenly appear to stake their claim after the land run started, hours ahead of legal settlers.[1]

Those who actually observed the official start of the land run and began the race for free land often found choice sections of land already occupied by Sooners or, in some cases, by Boomers. Problems with Sooners continued with each successive land run; in an 1895 land run as much as half of the available land was taken by Sooners.

Landthieves, DirtBurglars

Official name: "The Sooner State". A few people in Okieland was ashamed.

BTW, I can't stand Boomer Sooner fight song every fricking play ! Actually fight song was stolen (Yale). Typical. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boola_Boola
The tune of "Boola Boola" is used in the University of Oklahoma's fight song

Last edited:

I forget whether it was Callahan or Pelini who got into it with the Sooner students and their pop guns. Great side sideline entertainment.

Last edited:
We've got a home and home scheduled with them in '21 and '22.

I think @huskernut had a pretty good idea playing them every other year.

Annual would be too big a commitment, but it would be cool if they could do something with regularity to update the tradtion, acknowledge that when Nebraska is good again that there are two storied programs in the great plains, but do something that isn't already out there?

What about scheduling alternate home and away games but skipping every other year? Or have a game every three years? For example, 2025 its at OU, 2027 at NU, 2029 at OU, etc. That would let it become regular, and a tradition, but special in its own way because it would be unique.

Every player would get to play them at least twice. If you lost, you'd have to wait 2 years to get another shot at them, which would make it even more meaningful. And only every four years would it be at the same stadium, which would make the atmosphere even more electric.

I like the idea, but I wonder how easy it would be to schedule skip year home and away series with other big name programs in the off years?

If they want to play Nebraska annually, they can always petition to join the B1G. OU and Whorn would make nice additions to the Big Ten West. Shove Purdue back to the other side of the conference.

I like the idea, but I wonder how easy it would be to schedule skip year home and away series with other big name programs in the off years?
Good point. If that's a big issue I suppose it wouldn't be practical. Not being an AD I can't say. I'm not sure I see the necessity of home and homes being back to back generally, but maybe for one off series they are more interesting, because you get to play them immediately after.

Or maybe we could do the same thing with CU or Missouri on the off years?

Good point. If that's a big issue I suppose it wouldn't be practical. Not being an AD I can't say. I'm not sure I see the necessity of home and homes being back to back generally, but maybe for one off series they are more interesting, because you get to play them immediately after.

Or maybe we could do the same thing with CU or Missouri on the off years?

CU and MU in off years would mean no other big cross regional games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back