• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State puts Urban Meyer on administrative leave

Now ESPN is reporting that Zach Smith had a DUI arrest that he "hid" from Urban Meyer in 2013.

DUI's are public record so how the heck does the Columbus newspaper not report this like the Lincoln paper did for our D-back (Sorry WR Coach, my bad) coach and thus OSU and Urban and every body else would know that it happened.

To me that looks like the local paper covered it up as much as Smith "didnt tell Urban".

Last edited by a moderator:
Now ESPN is reporting that Zach Smith had a DUI arrest that he "hid" from Urban Meyer in 2013.

DUI's are public record so how the heck does the Columbus newspaper not report this like the Lincoln paper did for our D-back coach and thus OSU and Urban and every body else would know that it happened.

To me that looks like the local paper covered it up as much as Smith "didnt tell Urban".
Smith pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of physical control, a first-degree misdemeanor. He had a suspended license but, according to ESPN, was permitted to drive for recruiting trips.

Judge that reduced Zach Smith’s 2013 drunken driving charges is a 1968 Ohio State graduate & member of The Ohio State University President’s Club

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-zach-smith-urban-meyer-dui-arrest/982020002/

DUI's are public record so how the heck does the Columbus newspaper not report this like the Lincoln paper did for our D-back coach and thus OSU and Urban and every body else would know that it happened.

Good post but it was the NU WR coach Kieth Williams that got the DUI. ZS trolled him on twitter for it, dude is a grade A scumbag, ZS that is.

C

Smith pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of physical control, a first-degree misdemeanor. He had a suspended license but, according to ESPN, was permitted to drive for recruiting trips.

Judge that reduced Zach Smith’s 2013 drunken driving charges is a 1968 Ohio State graduate & member of The Ohio State University President’s Club

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-zach-smith-urban-meyer-dui-arrest/982020002/

So, you think the Judge might have let the word get back to Urban Meyer that one of his coaches has a significant drinking problem?

No, just another case of "boys will be boys" (Simpson's reference).

I have said it a few times, but this is only going to get worse for Ohio State as everyone comes out of the woodwork. Had they resolved this quickly, this could've been swept away but if the judge story is true, this could draw the eyes of the NCAA

This is a huge dumpster fire.

On one side, a guy with anonymous sources and no evidence saying that it was Tom Herman.

On the other side, you have a guy who has put all of the cards on the table and shown large amounts of evidence saying that it wasn't Tom Herman.

OSU FANS: DUUURRRP!!! TOM HERMAN IS SCUM

Journalism graduate of OSU who has written a number of books about the Buckeyes
Ahh, I'm sure he's exceedingly credible.

He could be right, there are dots there that make it possible but unless he's willing to say exactly how he came to that conclusion, it's going to be hard for him to "be right".

Ahh, I'm sure he's exceedingly credible.

He could be right, there are dots there that make it possible but unless he's willing to say exactly how he came to that conclusion, it's going to be hard for him to "be right".

He had better hope he is right because if not, he's going to get sued

I have said it a few times, but this is only going to get worse for Ohio State as everyone comes out of the woodwork. Had they resolved this quickly, this could've been swept away but if the judge story is true, this could draw the eyes of the NCAA
To hell with the NCAA. If the facts and allegations about the judge are true then the DOJ gets involved. The DOJ has teeth and it could get real ugly real quick and they won't simply stop at the judge. This involves a public university so they will break out their bulldozers and start digging.

28 U.S. Code § 455
(a) Any justice, judge, or magistrate judge of the United States shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.

Last edited:
To hell with the NCAA. If the facts and allegations about the judge are true then the DOJ gets involved. The DOJ has teeth and it could get real ugly real quick and they won't simply stop at the judge. This involves a public university so they will break out their bulldozers and start digging.

28 U.S. Code § 455
(a) Any justice, judge, or magistrate judge of the United States shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.

Doubt the Federal DOJ even has jurisdiction on this limited issue. That’s also a Federal Code that applies to Federal Judges. The judge mentioned in this matter is a state court judge.

There would be a similar judicial code of conduct that would apply. This assumes there was actually a reason to question the judge’s impartiality at all. Being an OSU grad is not remotely enough.

There’s also not enough information in the article to determine whether the reduced charges were part of a plea agreement, or anything else. For example, Keith Williams plead to a lesser charge / enhancement level as a result of a plea. The suggestion that the judge was in the bag by the reporter based on the published information was irresponsible.

Doubt the Federal DOJ even has jurisdiction on this limited issue. That’s also a Federal Code that applies to Federal Judges. The judge mentioned in this matter is a state court judge.

There would be a similar judicial code of conduct that would apply. This assumes there was actually a reason to question the judge’s impartiality at all. Being an OSU grad is not remotely enough.

There’s also not enough information in the article to determine whether the reduced charges were part of a plea agreement, or anything else. For example, Keith Williams plead to a lesser charge / enhancement level as a result of a plea. The suggestion that the judge was in the bag by the reporter based on the published information was irresponsible.

I was wrong and you are correct; 28 USC 455 is for federal judges (the language in the Ohio Code of Judicial Conduct is nearly identical). And yes, it would be very unlikely the DOJ would apply any pressure unless there were egregious errors at the municipal level and state oversight with respect to the case. Wishful, overzealous thinking on my part given the many variables and "missteps" regarding the entire mess relating to OSU. You are also correct in that there is not enough information from the article to make any determination as to the circumstances relating to the stipulation of charges.

Let me ask you this. The reporter indicated the judge is an OSU grad and a member of the OSU's President's Club; is it plausible the judge could have a potential conflict of interest given the fact that Z. Smith [was] a fairly high profile employee of OSU?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back