• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State and Title IX

Whatever you say but he's not in violation of Title IX.

Meyer's contract stipulates Meyer must “promptly report to Ohio State’s Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff … For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.”

If Meyer didn't report this, it's a very clear violation of Ohio State's Title IX policy. In a more broad sense and irrespective of Title IX, when you lead an organization and explicitly list "respect for women" as a a core value, there has to be accountability when your staff isn't living this value.

Meyer's contract stipulates Meyer must “promptly report to Ohio State’s Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff … For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a 'known violation' shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.”

If Meyer didn't report this, it's a very clear violation of Ohio State's Title IX policy. In a more broad sense and irrespective of Title IX, when you lead an organization and explicitly list "respect for women" as a a core value, there has to be accountability when your staff isn't living this value.

Everything you are quoting refers to sexual assault. This is simple assault and battery. Non-sexual. And he did take it to his boss. Was Title IX informed? We don't know. I haven't seen anything yet that says non sexual assault has to be reported. To say he didn't show "respect for woman" here is utter BS. You are over dramatizing his role in the abuse and acting like he was the one being abusive. As far as I can tell this is a criminal issue. Let the police handle it.

Everything you are quoting refers to sexual assault. This is simple assault and battery. Non-sexual. And he did take it to his boss. Was Title IX informed? We don't know. I haven't seen anything yet that says non sexual assault has to be reported. To say he didn't show "respect for woman" here is utter BS. You are over dramatizing his role in the abuse and acting like he was the one being abusive. As far as I can tell this is a criminal issue. Let the police handle it.

You are doubling down on wrong. The policy explicitly lists "intimate violence," which is the term for domestic violence between intimate partners.

Apparently, none of the principals think it's utter BS. Ohio St. has suspended Meyer. Meyer has gone into full CYA mode. If Urb doesn't get canned, Gene Smith probably will. Z. Smith lost his job. Leaders are expected to lead. I'll use Meyer's own words here:

“Talk straight and demand accountability. Run toward problems. If you ignore them, they only get worse.”

Well, now you have. This is from the Ohio State Title IX Page.

Conduct of a sexual nature or conduct based on sex or gender that is nonconsensual or has the effect of threatening, intimidating, or coercing a person. Includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, relationship violence, and stalking. Sexual misconduct is a form of sex- and gender-based discrimination.

It's curious that Ohio State hasn’t come out and said that Urban did report this. Urban said this but it’s been crickets from the University.

It's curious that Ohio State hasn’t come out and said that Urban did report this. Urban said this but it’s been crickets from the University.

I'm sure they are playing things close to the vest pending completion of their investigation. If Urb is lying, it's a pretty brazen strategy. According to Z. Smith, Gene Smith knew and even called him and told him to come off the road from a recruiting trip in the wake of the 2015 incident.

Here's Zach Smith on how he thinks Gene Smith found out about the 2015 incident: “I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the Powell Police Department contacted Ohio State. Not Urban, but the university.”

I'm sure they are playing things close to the vest pending completion of their investigation. If Urb is lying, it's a pretty brazen strategy. According to Z. Smith, Gene Smith knew and even called him and told him to come off the road from a recruiting trip in the wake of the 2015 incident.

Here's Zach Smith on how he thinks Gene Smith found out about the 2015 incident: “I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the Powell Police Department contacted Ohio State. Not Urban, but the university.”

That puts things in a whole new light. Now you have an athletic director in the hot seat. This could get interesting.

Well, now you have. This is from the Ohio State Title IX Page.

Conduct of a sexual nature or conduct based on sex or gender that is nonconsensual or has the effect of threatening, intimidating, or coercing a person. Includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, relationship violence, and stalking. Sexual misconduct is a form of sex- and gender-based discrimination.
Yes I am aware of that......from Ohio State policy. That is above and beyond Title IX requirements. I have never argued that it is an Ohio State policy but its not a violation of National Title IX requirements because it doesn't apply. Its like an OSHA regulation and a company policy. Osha could state you have to meet a certain safety standard. If your company policy says something more stringent and you don't follow it that does not make it an OSHA violation. Title IX is about sexual. Twist and turn it however you want and reach as much as you want but this is on Z smith. Will OHIO State bow to the likes of people wanting his head I don't know.

Yes I am aware of that......from Ohio State policy. That is above and beyond Title IX requirements. I have never argued that it is an Ohio State policy but its not a violation of National Title IX requirements because it doesn't apply. Its like an OSHA regulation and a company policy. Osha could state you have to meet a certain safety standard. If your company policy says something more stringent and you don't follow it that does not make it an OSHA violation. Title IX is about sexual. Twist and turn it however you want and reach as much as you want but this is on Z smith. Will OHIO State bow to the likes of people wanting his head I don't know.

Maybe the difference for you Hville is that OSU is a public university not a private business. More layers of bureacracy, and more bosses with their fingers in the pie.

I'm not conflating it. I was responding to another post that was using Title IX as their reason for the sexual misconduct charges.

Here is the bottom line. Many are trying to make this a Title IX violation and saying he failed to report it directly to the title IX office. Title IX was designed to create equal opportunities for students at federally funded Universities. In the 1990's it was expanded to include the sexual abuse and harassment of students because it was determined that in some cases this harassment or abuse was responsible for creating fair and equal access to programs.

Never was it the intent to cover physical assault to a non student at home by her husband. This is a police matter and their are procedures in place by law enforcement to handle this. Now if Ohio State has separate polices in place that cover something like this than they can address that in their investigation. I just think bringing Title IX into this is well beyond the scope of that law and just another example of where society is going over board in blaming others for what a perpetrator did.

Yes, OSU has this as part of its “Title IX policy”. It was clearly OSU’s intent to include issues of domestic violence within its definition of sexual misconduct within its Title IX policy. Under the policy it is not just a matter for the police. People covered under the policy had an affirmative obligation to do something if they had knowledge of an event that required a report. Whether or not it is established that the underlying event happened or not is irrelevant to the obligation of the third party to report their knowledge of the possible event.

This is where you are conflating.

Yes, OSU has this as part of its “Title IX policy”. It was clearly OSU’s intent to include issues of domestic violence within its definition of sexual misconduct within its Title IX policy. Under the policy it is not just a matter for the police. People covered under the policy had an affirmative obligation to do something if they had knowledge of an event that required a report. Whether or not it is established that the underlying event happened or not is irrelevant to the obligation of the third party to report their knowledge of the possible event.

This is where you are conflating.
OK so if that is the case......why aren't all the assistants and his wife suspended too? As you are referencing above it would be all of OSU that have that affirmative obligation. When UM reported it to Gene Smith Did Gene smith report it to Title IX? I'm still trying to figure out why UM had reporting obligations to Title IX that others don't.

OK so if that is the case......why aren't all the assistants and his wife suspended too? As you are referencing above it would be all of OSU that have that affirmative obligation. When UM reported it to Gene Smith Did Gene smith report it to Title IX? I'm still trying to figure out why UM had reporting obligations to Title IX that others don't.

You’d have to ask OSU. If everyone else had knowledge, they also had the obligation to report. And the person that the report was mandated to be given to was the appropriate Title IX person. Not the AD or anyone else.

There’s also the “the buck stops here” thing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back