• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ohio State and Title IX

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Good example of why I hate Title IX for non adult situations. I hate directing the reporting responsibility onto an institution or another human being. If the victim isn't willing to do it than why should a 3rd party person be held accountable for it? Its just as possible for a 3rd party victim to be "scared of retaliation" as the original victim. Just hate that our society is always making laws to hold someone other than the perpetrator just as accountable.

From the institutions position what are you supposed to do? Fire anyone who has an allegation brought against them? Investigate internally and subject yourself to bias? Report it to the police and let them handle it and subject yourself to criticism that you didn't do enough?

What if they had fired him? What if he was a minority and fired him? Nowdays if a white person calls the cop on anything a minority its all over the media. Call the cops and get in trouble. Don't call the cops you get in trouble.

Most of you will disagree but just my opinion of what makes me sick about our society today.

Lighten up, Francis. Urban Meyer had a duty to report a crime. He apparently didn’t do this. The idea of Title IX is to protect individuals and prohibit discrimination. It shouldn’t affect you personally that Urban didn’t do his job. Anyone who is a state employee, from elementary teachers to coaches of monster college sports programs know they have a duty to report. Urban must have felt he was above this. Guess what? He’s not.

Last edited:
Lighten up, Francis. Urban Meyer had a duty to report a crime. He apparently didn’t do this. The idea of Title IX is to protect individuals and prohibit discrimination. It shouldn’t affect you personally that Urban didn’t do his job. Anyone who is a state employee, from elementary teachers to coaches of monster college sports programs know they have a duty to report. Urban must have felt he was above this. Guess what? He’s not.
Evidently you haven't kept up. He did report it. And its questionable whether he had a duty to report it since it wasn't part of a University sponsored event, on campus or involve the sexual misconduct towards a University employee or student. And yet here is a guy who could lose his job over the pr associated with it because we have turned our country into a blame someone else society. I wish some of the people going after his head would take the "lighten up Francis" approach you'd like to see.

As a Florida sports reporter stated, I wouldn’t believe what came out of Urban Meyers mouth if his tongue was notarized. Why all the lies before he was cornered to the point of coming up with something “truthful.” I’ll wait and see what comes of this. Again, Title IX is not the problem. It’s that lying sack named Urban.

Evidently you haven't kept up. He did report it. And its questionable whether he had a duty to report it since it wasn't part of a University sponsored event, on campus or involve the sexual misconduct towards a University employee or student. And yet here is a guy who could lose his job over the pr associated with it because we have turned our country into a blame someone else society. I wish some of the people going after his head would take the "lighten up Francis" approach you'd like to see.

If his statement holds true and he did report it then the worse thing he did was lie at media days. Well that and have a couple of his people talk her out of pressing charges in 2009. So with that he will not be fired, which is what I said in the very first thread about this. Someone at OSU is going to take the fall for this though.

C

Let’s not pretend Urb didn’t know what was happening. He claims he did and that he reported it. So best case scenario, he rewarded a known wife beater with a lucrative P5 assistant coaching gig. Someone like that should not be in a position to influence young men.

If his statement holds true and he did report it then the worse thing he did was lie at media days. Well that and have a couple of his people talk her out of pressing charges in 2009. So with that he will not be fired, which is what I said in the very first thread about this. Someone at OSU is going to take the fall for this though.

C

The AD won’t make it out with his job.

What most people living in Nebraska do not know, everyone is a mandatory reporter. I didn't know this until attending an ethics training. I'm a therapist so I've always known I am, but learned this about 6 years ago. In the case of UM, both he and his wife are required to report in Ohio based on their professional positions, even if the victim was not a patient of UM's wife. It's part of her ethical requirements given her licensure with the state.

(1) When any physician, any medical institution, any nurse, any school employee, any social worker, the Inspector General appointed under section 43-4317, or any other person has reasonable cause to believe that a child has been subjected to child abuse or neglect or observes such child being subjected to conditions or circumstances which reasonably would result in child abuse or neglect, he or she shall report such incident or cause a report of child abuse or neglect to be made to the proper law enforcement agency or to the department on the toll-free number established by subsection (2) of this section. Such report may be made orally by telephone with the caller giving his or her name and address, shall be followed by a written report, and to the extent available shall contain the address and age of the abused or neglected child, the address of the person or persons having custody of the abused or neglected child, the nature and extent of the child abuse or neglect or the conditions and circumstances which would reasonably result in such child abuse or neglect, any evidence of previous child abuse or neglect including the nature and extent, and any other information which in the opinion of the person may be helpful in establishing the cause of such child abuse or neglect and the identity of the perpetrator or perpetrators. Law enforcement agencies receiving any reports of child abuse or neglect under this subsection shall notify the department pursuant to section 28-718 on the next working day by telephone or mail.

Good example of why I hate Title IX for non adult situations. I hate directing the reporting responsibility onto an institution or another human being. If the victim isn't willing to do it than why should a 3rd party person be held accountable for it? Its just as possible for a 3rd party victim to be "scared of retaliation" as the original victim. Just hate that our society is always making laws to hold someone other than the perpetrator just as accountable.

From the institutions position what are you supposed to do? Fire anyone who has an allegation brought against them? Investigate internally and subject yourself to bias? Report it to the police and let them handle it and subject yourself to criticism that you didn't do enough?

What if they had fired him? What if he was a minority and fired him? Nowdays if a white person calls the cop on anything a minority its all over the media. Call the cops and get in trouble. Don't call the cops you get in trouble.

Most of you will disagree but just my opinion of what makes me sick about our society today.

Have you ever known or worked with someone who was the victim of domestic violence or abuse? These laws/requirements exist because of powerlessness and responsibility to society. In my experience the victims' situations can make it difficult or impossible to report the abuse. I get what you're saying about punishing non-offenders, but blaming the victim for not reporting is much more complex than you're implying. It comes down to responsibility of certain professionals and institutions to provide information to law enforcement to ensure the offense is known because of the victim's level of powerlessness. Often times the victim is in a powerless position, so these laws and requirements help to address that and make known of a terrible situation that otherwise would go unreported. I have called CPS dozens of times, and in many cases if I wouldn't have, the authorities would have never known an offense was committed. Mandatory reporting saves lives and prevents additional harm.

Have you ever known or worked with someone who was the victim of domestic violence or abuse? These laws/requirements exist because of powerlessness and responsibility to society. In my experience the victims' situations can make it difficult or impossible to report the abuse. I get what you're saying about punishing non-offenders, but blaming the victim for not reporting is much more complex than you're implying. It comes down to responsibility of certain professionals and institutions to provide information to law enforcement to ensure the offense is known because of the victim's level of powerlessness. Often times the victim is in a powerless position, so these laws and requirements help to address that and make known of a terrible situation that otherwise would go unreported. I have called CPS dozens of times, and in many cases if I wouldn't have, the authorities would have never known an offense was committed. Mandatory reporting saves lives and prevents additional harm.

You are quoting a child abuse regulation. As I said I don't like it at the adult level. Many others are trying to call this a sexual misconduct case under title IX. I believe that in many cases some of those the victims are powerless. This isn't one of those cases as she was reporting it. The issue here was the failure on the police to either recognize it or the accurate reporting. The University, the AD and the Head coach are getting drug into this. Exchange the name of the them with Bill Moos, Scott Frost and the University of Nebraska and a lot of opinions change. Some would say Scott Frost would never hire someone like that or the University wouldn't let it happen. Well lets not forget retaining Keith Williams and the hiring of a very controversial Ron Brown. All I'm saying is I don't like how institutions and individuals are pulled in by laws requiring them to report. It has shifted a lot of responsibility onto them.

C
So the worse thing he did was lie at media days. How about the fact that he twice hired a subhuman who beats women? Even when stated subhuman does it multiple times he refuses to fire him. All of that is worse than lieing about it.

So the worse thing he did was lie at media days. How about the fact that he twice hired a subhuman who beats women? Even when stated subhuman does it multiple times he refuses to fire him. All of that is worse than lieing about it.

Oh just stop being so overly dramatic. Its easy to judge a hiring 9 years later. Or even 4 or 5. There was a step process in everything and no absolute evidence in the early stages. If the cops are saying nothing happened what should he do? If you want to put it in perspective change the name to Nebraska and Mike Riley or Scott Frost. Is abusing your wife any different that getting in a car accident while drunk and possibly killing people. MR hired a guy who had two DUI's and got a 3rd one while on official company business. They didn't fire him. MR already had a questionable Sex Assault issue hanging over his program at Oregon State but Nebraska hired him anyway. Now we have hired Ron Brown (who I'm happy about) but recognizable proponent of gays and potentially damaging to our program and possibly a lawsuit waiting to happen. I think some reasonable perspective should be given to the situation until we know more.

Oh just stop being so overly dramatic. Its easy to judge a hiring 9 years later. Or even 4 or 5. There was a step process in everything and no absolute evidence in the early stages. If the cops are saying nothing happened what should he do? If you want to put it in perspective change the name to Nebraska and Mike Riley or Scott Frost. Is abusing your wife any different that getting in a car accident while drunk and possibly killing people. MR hired a guy who had two DUI's and got a 3rd one while on official company business. They didn't fire him. MR already had a questionable Sex Assault issue hanging over his program at Oregon State but Nebraska hired him anyway. Now we have hired Ron Brown (who I'm happy about) but recognizable proponent of gays and potentially damaging to our program and possibly a lawsuit waiting to happen. I think some reasonable perspective should be given to the situation until we know more.
The cops did not necessarily say nothing happened. Just not enough evidence to arrest him. Totally different thing.

As for MR hiring a guy. It was questionable but a couple key differences.
1. The DUIs did not happen while he worked for MR and they were far enough in the past that it may have been reasonable to assume he had moved beyond that.
2. When he had the new incident at NE he was forced to seek counseling. OSU did not do the same for Smith. (At least not that has been made public.

The cops did not necessarily say nothing happened. Just not enough evidence to arrest him. Totally different thing.

As for MR hiring a guy. It was questionable but a couple key differences.
1. The DUIs did not happen while he worked for MR and they were far enough in the past that it may have been reasonable to assume he had moved beyond that.
2. When he had the new incident at NE he was forced to seek counseling. OSU did not do the same for Smith. (At least not that has been made public.

There is no evidence the cops said nothing happened. In this environment almost any suggestion of it happening results in an arrest. As for the DUI's you are reaching. He got his 3rd one while officially representing the University. Counseling hell. So you would be happy with Urban receiving counseling on better reporting.....rather than just reporting it to your boss?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back