• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Offweek Topic: Would you like to see natural grass in Memorial Stadium?

Would you like to see NU go to Natural Grass?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Impaler

Cake or Death?
15 Year Member
I would prefer that they go to natural grass (even though I know it won't happen) as I just like the look better. I like seeing the field change a bit thru the season and think it's cool in those really physical games where the uniforms are roughed up with grass stains etc.

Last edited:

I'm ok with the artificial stuff, though I'd probably prefer it to be all one color again.

Field Turf (and similar products) is really nice to play on and is relatively low maintenance.

One heavy rain early in the season, and a natural turf is a disaster the remainder of the year.

Not at all. There are quite a few grass fields all over the country that hold up just fine. They have pretty impressive drainage systems these days ya know.

I voted yes for two reasons: 1) That's what I grew up on and it just seems like 'football' to me; 2) Most of the big bowls are played on grass, and since the goal every year is to get to one of those bowls I think it's advantageous to play on the stuff as much as possible.

That said, the advances in field turf as opposed to artificial turf has been pretty dramatic and the maintenance costs are definitely a consideration. Agree with Thill about going back to one color.

Before I really come to a conclusion I would like to find out whether the injury factor is that much different between natural and field turf. We seem to get a lot of calf, knee, and toe injuries and I wonder if turf figures in there anywhere. Natural grass would probably be alright if it had a really good drainage system.

Not at all. There are quite a few grass fields all over the country that hold up just fine. They have pretty impressive drainage systems these days ya know.

you're right, they do some pretty amazing things with natural grass. They have people that work on that stuff year-round, and it holds up pretty well for the most part.

I think at the end of the day, the synthetic surfaces are lower maintenance and probably lower long-term cost.

Doesn't really make much difference to me, as long as it's not that crappy sand-based Omniturf that Mizzou used to have. What an embarrassing piece of garbage that was.

I love the idea of playing on grass...it would be neat to see. Just looks more "real." If ISU can do it, why can't we? :rolleyes: (They still have grass, right?) Also, the outdoor NFL teams play on grass pretty universally, correct?

Hmm. I guess our string of thread agreements just ended at one.:Biggrin:

Last edited:

Before I really come to a conclusion I would like to find out whether the injury factor is that much different between natural and field turf. We seem to get a lot of calf, knee, and toe injuries and I wonder if turf figures in there anywhere. Natural grass would probably be alright if it had a really good drainage system.

I was on a stadium committee for a local HS and we investigated the Field Turf vs natural grass injury factor. It is actually less with the synthetic surfaces beacuse the crushed rubber base tends to give more than dirt and grass and minimize knee injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back