• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Numbers - Breakdown guesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the amount of people we are going after for this class, or what the breakdown would look like? It's all a guess at this point, but i'll put what i'm thinking out there and go from there:

Total 22 commits

QB - 2
RB - 2
WR - 4 *I think RB/WR may have some interchangeable parts
TE - 1
OL - 2
DL - 4
LB - 2 *I think we could also go 3 DL and 3 LB, we have some talent sitting on the DL
DB - 4
K - 1

I think WR and DB are our most obvious needs. I think we need help at LB, but we have a ton of guys coming back only losing Newby and Weber.

Has anyone seen a guess or an article on this?

havent seen any position-group breakdown like this - yesterday, when pressed to give a number on Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Nate Clouse guessed 25.

Last edited:

Other than maybe different attrition.... Do you see any differences in numbers based on on coaching staff? I tend to think this is the breakdown either way.

The lone exception being the QB spot, which there was message board talk of skipping, and now is an obvious get one.

I'll break it down more, based on my 22 estimate...

QB (2) - 3 currently on scholarship - bring in 2 that are tailored to your offense
RB (2) - 4 currently on scholarship - bring in 2 that are speed backs
WR (4) - 6 currently on scholarship - One coming back is Keyan Williams, also have Keyshawn Jr that would factor into this number. But we need more numbers here
TE (1) - 5 currently on scholarship - Not a ton of room here, but getting another athletic guy like Austin Allen may be nice
OL (2) - 15 currently on scholarship - Again, not a ton of room, but we were atrocious and i'm sure we want options. If we go higher in numbers we may just take another guy here
DL (4) - 9 currently on scholarship - Guys like Newell and Neal count towards this number, have 2 committed already and guys like Williams in play
LB (2) - 13 currently on scholarship - same story, not a ton of room, but we severely underperformed here. Could go 3 and 3 with DL/LB
DB (4) - 9 on scholarship - we really were bad in the defensive backfield, band I haven't seen a ton of offers going out to DBs yet
K (1) - 0 on scholarship - have to replace Drew Brown

Never a fan of leaving any scholarships unfilled as we have done for the past decade, but if ever there is a reason to do it, this year would provide one. I just don't know if there is enough time to go from 8 to 22 without really stretching on some kids that we wouldn't otherwise take. If we can evaluate and then pull in 14 recruits at positions of need, that's great. But if we leave a couple scholarships open and fill them next year after the staff has gotten up to speed, I'm ok with that too.

Never a fan of leaving any scholarships unfilled as we have done for the past decade, but if ever there is a reason to do it, this year would provide one. I just don't know if there is enough time to go from 8 to 22 without really stretching on some kids that we wouldn't otherwise take. If we can evaluate and then pull in 14 recruits at positions of need, that's great. But if we leave a couple scholarships open and fill them next year after the staff has gotten up to speed, I'm ok with that too.
Riley actually went into the pluses in 2016, but for some reason didn't even get to our number in 2017 then took two academic risks that didn't make it here. But your point stands.

When looking at your TE numbers, if it were up to me, I would say that is with Cameron Jurgens filling a defensive spot instead of a TE spot.

When looking at your TE numbers, if it were up to me, I would say that is with Cameron Jurgens filling a defensive spot instead of a TE spot.
Absolutely, should have clarified that. We have plenty of Cam Jurgens TEs on the roster. We need an immediate upgrade at OLB. He could do that. He's a better Ben Stille, but he has to want to be on that side of the ball. I know I'm leaving myself an out there. Defense takes a different mindset. Noah Fant didn't have it, im hoping Jurgens does. Because his ceiling is higher over there.

Last edited:

Absolutely, should have clarified that. We have plenty of Cam Jurgens TEs on the roster. We need an immediate upgrade at OLB. He could do that. He's a better Ben Stille, but he has to want to be on that side of the ball. I know I'm leaving myself an out there. Defense takes a different mindset. Noah Fant didn't have it, im hoping Jurgens does. Because his ceiling is higher over there.
With Ruud going along on the in home visit, I'm hoping that was discussed and he is all in on doing just that.

I'll break it down more, based on my 22 estimate...

QB (2) - 3 currently on scholarship - bring in 2 that are tailored to your offense
RB (2) - 4 currently on scholarship - bring in 2 that are speed backs
WR (4) - 6 currently on scholarship - One coming back is Keyan Williams, also have Keyshawn Jr that would factor into this number. But we need more numbers here
TE (1) - 5 currently on scholarship - Not a ton of room here, but getting another athletic guy like Austin Allen may be nice
OL (2) - 15 currently on scholarship - Again, not a ton of room, but we were atrocious and i'm sure we want options. If we go higher in numbers we may just take another guy here
DL (4) - 9 currently on scholarship - Guys like Newell and Neal count towards this number, have 2 committed already and guys like Williams in play
LB (2) - 13 currently on scholarship - same story, not a ton of room, but we severely underperformed here. Could go 3 and 3 with DL/LB
DB (4) - 9 on scholarship - we really were bad in the defensive backfield, band I haven't seen a ton of offers going out to DBs yet
K (1) - 0 on scholarship - have to replace Drew Brown
Great thread.

My thoughts:

QB: 2
RB: 1
WR: 5-6
TE: 2
OL: 3
DL: 3-4
LB: 4
DB: 3-4
K: 1